Big East Conference Game Thread- February | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big East Conference Game Thread- February

Reaction Score
We all expect Nova men to roll over UConn. But the ladies? Welcome back to the Big East!

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Goodman basically outlined the same on the Field of 68 After Dark show last night. He noted that candidates were extremely hesitant to go to Georgetown last time because of Big John's presence and control of the program.

Now with his unfortunate passing it sounds like they will have a better go at candidates. Even cited one coach he talked to that could be a candidate for both the Maryland and Georgetown jobs and said he would prefer Georgetown.
Georgetown is an excellent job. You have retro appeal, Allen Iverson involved, a brand associated with basketball, an elite talent pool in the DMV. Maybe the 3rd best job in conference.

Reaction Score
I hope for the sake of the Big East and our rivalry that they make a great hire. The league will be even more fun than it already is if we get to play a ranked Georgetown team twice a year.

What other big brand jobs are likely to be open this year?

Louisville
Maryland
Georgetown (99% sure)
Syracuse (Maybe?)
Pittsburgh (also maybe?)

They'll have some competition, but UofL has issues, UMD is basically a clone of Georgetown, and Cuse is less attractive now with the ACC losing K and Roy.
I'm thinkin Boeheim stays another year or two since I think his kids may be sticking around a bit long.

Pitt is no longer a big brand job in my opinion. Completely lost access to NYC recruiting market leaving Big East, too far removed from any level of competence, the fanbase has probably dissipated significantly. Football school at this point and nothing more. Let me know if I am speaking out of turn @Pgh2Storrs

Not same caliber jobs but I would be shocked if Arizona State doesn't open up, too. Same with Butler who hasn't been to the tourney in 4 years. Frank Martin at South Carolina and Kevin Keatts at NC State are also in danger. Hopkins at Washington, too.

This could be an explosive offseason with head coaching changes after what we just saw in CFB.

But as far as big jobs go that I think will be available, I would say Louisville, Georgetown, Maryland. All others are at least a step below.

Reaction Score
I'm thinkin Boeheim stays another year or two since I think his kids may be sticking around a bit long.

Pitt is no longer a big brand job in my opinion. Completely lost access to NYC recruiting market leaving Big East, too far removed from any level of competence, the fanbase has probably dissipated significantly. Football school at this point and nothing more. Let me know if I am speaking out of turn @Pgh2Storrs

Not same caliber jobs but I would be shocked if Arizona State doesn't open up, too. Same with Butler who hasn't been to the tourney in 4 years. Frank Martin at South Carolina and Kevin Keatts at NC State are also in danger. Hopkins at Washington, too.

This could be an explosive offseason with head coaching changes after what we just saw in CFB.

But as far as big jobs go that I think will be available, I would say Louisville, Georgetown, Maryland. All others are at least a step below.
Butler, ASU, and NC State are bigger jobs than Pitt at this point.

Reaction Score

The stars may align for Syracuse with Hopkins then if he can hang on for another year at UW, unless they don't want him back.
Butler, ASU, and NC State are bigger jobs than Pitt at this point.

Butler and NC State sure, but I don't think ASU is a better job than Pitt. Pitt has a higher ceiling in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Friday
24 Connecticut @ 25 Xavier, 7:00pm, FS1 - Matt Schumacker, Nick Bahe
Line: Xavier -3/140.5

Reaction Score
All of these teams have been pretty inconsistent this year so anything's possible. ACC is weak, schizophrenic, and soft this year overall. The metrics say 2% chance, but I'm sure they'll somehow make it in.
The Pac and the ACC are getting closer to mid-major every week. In fact, the ACC is looking over its shoulder at the MWC.

1644592410885.png

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score

No, you’re dead on. The rise in apathy here towards Pitt basketball is both delightful and not at all surprising. I hate them intensely, but the Pete is a beautiful facility and, from what I’ve seen, they’re having trouble drawing more than 1K in actual butts in seats most nights. You hit the nail on the head regarding their biggest problem in recruiting. Western PA may produce 1 high major recruit every 2-3 years and those kids have been going elsewhere. On top of that, as you mentioned, they’ve all but abandoned NYC recruiting and are trying to pull kids from the ACC footprint which isn’t going well.

It’s just not a great fanbase in general, football or basketball. They had a Heisman finalist QB in the midst of their best season since Marino was there and still had a half full stadium outside of the Clemson game. Let them burn.

Reaction Score
Saturday
Creighton @ Georgetown, 12pm, FS1 - Tom Werme, Dickey Simpkins
Line: Creighton -5/142

Seton Hall @ 15 Villanova, 1:00pm, FOX - Gus Johnson and Jim Jackson
Line: Villanova -9.5/135

18 Marquette @ Butler, 4:30pm, FS1 - Alex Faust, Steve Lavin
Line: Marquette -2.5/131.5

DePaul @ 11 Providence, 6:30pm, FS1- John Fanta, Donny Marshall
Line: Providence -9.5/135

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
DePaul takes Providence to the wire in OT at the Dunkin' Donuts Center, but falls just short 76-73. Last second shot from DePaul's Gebrewhit from half court bounces off rim as clock expires. What an incredible game. DePaul showed a lot of heart and toughness, and actually lead for nearly the entire game.

Reaction Score
I was watching Nova take on Seton Hall earlier this afternoon. Apparently they've hit 50 of their past 53 free throw attempts.

That's elite-level stuff right there.

Reaction Score

I think Louisville is a cut above Maryland at this point in time. They have what, a top 5 or 6 fanbase in all of the country, and so long as the ACC rebounds, that job's as good as any non-blue-blood. Maryland though. Woof. The fans basically ran Turgeon out of town, and there's a sizable contingent that will likely never get over being ripped out of the ACC in favor of the Big 10. Yes, it was all about the benjamins, but damn man - all the regional rivalries just torn to pieces.

Reaction Score
I think Louisville is a cut above Maryland at this point in time. They have what, a top 5 or 6 fanbase in all of the country, and so long as the ACC rebounds, that job's as good as any non-blue-blood. Maryland though. Woof. The fans basically ran Turgeon out of town, and there's a sizable contingent that will likely never get over being ripped out of the ACC in favor of the Big 10. Yes, it was all about the benjamins, but damn man - all the regional rivalries just torn to pieces.
Agreed. If I were ranking the three I consider top tier positions that are / should come available, you have to put Louisville above the other two. Georgetown and Maryland are literally neck and neck for #2, which is funny considering proximity to one another and would be fascinating to see play out in the same cycle. I could be convinced either way.

Reaction Score
Providence isn't good, and I still haven't thought of a polite way to break the news to Friars fans (who grow more and more certain with every narrow victory that regression is a conspiracy and that they're actually a top ten team).

I'd feel better about it if it were a younger, more talented group that could conceivably grow into something more (like 2011 UConn) - but it's not. It's a team full of maxed out 23 and 24 year olds that might make the top 50 if Vegas were drafting a tournament.

And that's fine. It's actually pretty damn good given what they were last year. But I'm bracing myself for the pending crash.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Providence isn't good, and I still haven't thought of a polite way to break the news to Friars fans (who grow more and more certain with every narrow victory that regression is a conspiracy and that they're actually a top ten team).

I'd feel better about it if it were a younger, more talented group that could conceivably grow into something more (like 2011 UConn) - but it's not. It's a team full of maxed out 23 and 24 year olds that might make the top 50 if Vegas were drafting a tournament.

And that's fine. It's actually pretty damn good given what they were last year. But I'm bracing myself for the pending crash.
Like ourselves, they run a lot of set plays and usually rely on them. Makes you somewhat easy to gameplan for.

Reaction Score
Monday 2/14
Georgetown @ Creighton, 9pm, FS1 - Matt Schumacker, Nick Bahe
Line: Creighton -10.5/142.5

Reaction Score

You not only need to break it to Friar fans, but to the AP voters and the coaches too. They have them at 8 and 9. Tomorrow’s game against Nova should be interesting.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is I'm pretty sure that poster abandoned UConn and became a PC fan after they fired Kevin Ollie. But agreed, anyone claiming PC isn't good is just covering their eyes and wishing at this point

Reaction Score
Just always remember that a few posters on here with hot takes about PC don't represent the Boneyard as a whole.

Reaction Score
Anyone watching the Georgetown-Creighton game? Ewing was about a foot or two on the court and inadvertently tripped Alex O'Connell as he was trying to receive a pass and the ball went out of bounds. The refs took a few minutes to figure out what happened and finally assessed a technical on Ewing. Don't see that too often.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Anyone watching the Georgetown-Creighton game? Ewing was about a foot or two on the court and inadvertently tripped Alex O'Connell as he was trying to receive a pass and the ball went out of bounds. The refs took a few minutes to figure out what happened and finally assessed a technical on Ewing. Don't see that too often.
Hahaha I saw it. Ewing should have been ejected, I’ve never seen a coach on the court tripping an opposing player. He almost got away with it too. Down 20 at half. Ewing is done. We should start re-recruiting Denver Anglin, we could certainly use a scoring threat at the guard position.

This game is so uncompetitive they’re cutting to commercial breaks during gameplay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom