Big East Comings and Goings - May | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Comings and Goings - May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He’ll get around the rule cause the new coach, but situations like this, the kid should HAVE to sit out. Kinda a joke

Reaction Score
You'd think that Jay Bilas would want to weigh in on academics a little bit in all of this.

After all, he has been beating that Robert Smith at Ohio State story for years (Smith wasn't allowed to take classes or to major in what he wanted).

And here we are seeing a kid set himself back years with multiple transfers. There is no way for him to jump schools like this constantly and to stay on track.

Transfers work well with academics when students are freshman but once you're a junior? That's rough. And the kids going to 3 schools? How does that work. Don't understand it.

I can make a good case for sophomores to transfer as well, but at that point, you are extending your time at school in most cases.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
You'd think that Jay Bilas would want to weigh in on academics a little bit in all of this.

After all, he has been beating that Robert Smith at Ohio State story for years (Smith wasn't allowed to take classes or to major in what he wanted).

And here we are seeing a kid set himself back years with multiple transfers. There is no way for him to jump schools like this constantly and to stay on track.

Transfers work well with academics when students are freshman but once you're a junior? That's rough. And the kids going to 3 schools? How does that work. Don't understand it.

I can make a good case for sophomores to transfer as well, but at that point, you are extending your time at school in most cases.
While I’m all for bashing Bilas, you’re mad he’s into players having the free will to choose their schools and classes??

Reaction Score
While I’m all for bashing Bilas, you’re mad he’s into players having the free will to choose their schools and classes??
The players have free will to do anything. I don't care. They can go to 10 schools. What I'm saying is that by doing this, they aren't proceeding to a degree. After years of hearing Bilas rail about these issues, you'd think he would comment on the fact that he is pushing for a system that causes the very thing he's against. I thought that was obvious in my post.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
In the Andy Baylock era (granted with very little scholorship money), he almost never recruited or gave try-outs to potential baseball players who were Engineering or Pharmacy majors, I guess he surmised the course load, labs, homework etc. was too much for them combined with the athletic demands.

Reaction Score
In the Andy Baylock era (granted with very little scholorship money), he almost never recruited or gave try-outs to potential baseball players who were Engineering or Pharmacy majors, I guess he surmised the course load, labs, homework etc. was too much for them combined with the athletic demands.
That's fine, but no university department is going to award a degree to a kid who hasn't completed the requirements; unless of course they have a North Carolina Tarheel type setup.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What an interesting roster at Seton Hall.

aNo "classic" PGs, but between Richmond/Dawes/Odukale/Harris they can roll out lineups with three "combo" guards.

Very good work from Holloway this offseason!

I give myself a 50/50 chance of making the Pitt team if I tried out next year.

Do they have any players? What is the point of not firing Capel?

Reaction Score
I give myself a 50/50 chance of making the Pitt team if I tried out next year.

Do they have any players? What is the point of not firing Capel?
It's a football school now. Even with the ACC money, I wonder if eating multiple basketball coaching contracts so quickly is frowned upon. I don't think Pitt has crazy boosters looking to write checks to fire coaches (but I could be wrong).

Interestingly, I think they now have the same number of open scholarships as we do with the signings of Jorge and Guillermo Diaz-Graham. Full disclosure, I didn't know this. I looked up their situation and saw they have 3 open scholarships after signing these twins. Pitt is no longer in my sphere of attention which tends to be northeast or national teams. I don't know where they fit now. Midwest? South? They do seem to be drawing a lot of kids from NY/NJ/CT to the school from what I've seen, just not to the basketball team.

Reaction Score
Anyone that rummages around on the other BE boards know if some CBB crazed fan has created some short of excel sheet with updated rosters for BE teams with portal losses/additions??

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Pitt gave a huge buyout to a guy that had made 3 NCAA tournaments in 9 years as a head coach at two decent programs, and then got no decent coaching offers for 7 years prior to Pitt showing up and offering him? Pitt is Pitt for a reason.

Capel's buyout drops to $5 million next offseason, which makes him much more fire-able.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pitt gave a huge buyout to a guy that had made 3 NCAA tournaments in 9 years as a head coach at two decent programs, and then got no decent coaching offers for 7 years prior to Pitt showing up and offering him? Pitt is Pitt for a reason.

Capel's buyout drops to $5 million next offseason, which makes him much more fire-able.
Not a fan of Capel at all and would hate to think of any program worth talking about hiring him
But in those 3 NCAAs with VCU and Oklahoma he made it to round of 32 and the Elite Eight

Reaction Score
Carey was the only player Ewing named a team captain during his five seasons as a coach.

Reaction Score

Super efficient two-way two guard.

Kevin Willard's starting backcourt will be two transfer studs: Carey and Jahmir Young from Charlotte (19.6p, 5.9r, 3.7a, 1.1s, 34.1 3p% in 35.8 mpg).

Maryland doesn't have a lot of proven depth, but I like their starting lineup: Young, Carey, Hart, Scott, Reese. On my count, they have just 10 scholarships filled, so my guess is that they will get another player who plays somewhere within the 3 and 5 spots. Maybe Brandon Weston?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Super efficient two-way two guard.

Kevin Willard's starting backcourt will be two transfer studs: Carey and Jahmir Young from Charlotte (19.6p, 5.9r, 3.7a, 1.1s, 34.1 3p% in 35.8 mpg).

Maryland doesn't have a lot of proven depth, but I like their starting lineup: Young, Carey, Hart, Scott, Reese. On my count, they have just 10 scholarships filled, so my guess is that they will get another player who plays somewhere within the 3 and 5 spots. Maybe Brandon Weston?
They might struggle defensively, but that’s a team that can score. They’ll be interesting to watch.

Reaction Score

Damn, nice get for Maryland. If you look back at the thread when he announced he was transferring I was hoping UConn would get him. But I was looking at Donald Carey skillset in isolation without consideration to who else UConn was trying to get. I don't even know if UConn was on his radar and vice versa.

Reaction Score

I wish I sucked at my job enough that someone would pay me $5mil to leave...

Reaction Score

What an interesting roster at Seton Hall.

aNo "classic" PGs, but between Richmond/Dawes/Odukale/Harris they can roll out lineups with three "combo" guards.

Very good work from Holloway this offseason!

Do they have any good ball handlers / playmakers? I look at Memphis last year, all the talent in the world but they were bad (at least early) mainly because they didn’t have a single primary PG.

Reaction Score
It's a football school now. Even with the ACC money, I wonder if eating multiple basketball coaching contracts so quickly is frowned upon. I don't think Pitt has crazy boosters looking to write checks to fire coaches (but I could be wrong).

Interestingly, I think they now have the same number of open scholarships as we do with the signings of Jorge and Guillermo Diaz-Graham. Full disclosure, I didn't know this. I looked up their situation and saw they have 3 open scholarships after signing these twins. Pitt is no longer in my sphere of attention which tends to be northeast or national teams. I don't know where they fit now. Midwest? South? They do seem to be drawing a lot of kids from NY/NJ/CT to the school from what I've seen, just not to the basketball team.
I hate Pitt almost as much as BC. Loved it when I saw Khalid dancing on the scorers table at Pitt and shouting at the student section.

Reaction Score
Georgetown adds another transfer:

Bryson Mozone, 6’6 205 GR from SC Upstate, 15.8p, 5.7r, 1.3a, 38.6 3p% (about ½ ftas from three) in 33.2 mpg.

Reaction Score
Georgetown adds another transfer:

Bryson Mozone, 6’6 205 GR from SC Upstate, 15.8p, 5.7r, 1.3a, 38.6 3p% (about ½ ftas from three) in 33.2 mpg.
I kinda like their roster this year...it wouldn't surprise me if they finish in the 7/8 range. It also wouldn't surprise me if they go 0-20 again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom