Big Blue Nation having a very normal Tuesday | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big Blue Nation having a very normal Tuesday

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Cal's own promises of multiple championships when he was hired has fed into their delusions. He's poisoned the well for himself and future hires.

Reaction Score
If you’re a Kentucky fan, thinking your blue blood history, plus facilities and access to donors already makes you the top destination AND then you offer so much money as to make someone the highest paid coach in college sports (football included) AND they still turn you down…

doesn’t that start to make you reevaluate where you actually sit in terms of desirability and program status?

I mean if your history, facilities AND money aren’t enough…

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
so happy you boys are getting a small taste of the bbn.

when we played uk in the tournament a while ago, one of our players got a tech against them and bbn harassed him with death threats on facebook.

Reaction Score
1000007307.gif

Reaction Score
Do fans realize this stuff is toxic? If there's that much pressure to win constantly, is it worth it? I think I'd rather coach at Baylor. It's not like you can't win there
He's won there, but I do think there's a ceiling. Drew started working transfers before a lot of other teams and won with Mitchell (Auburn), Teague (UNC-Asheville), and Flagler (Presbyterian) among others. Others have caught up a bit once it was immediate gratification, and I think they're unlikely to win another title. They sort of max out as a dangerous 3-seed, and that's with a great coach like Drew.

Reaction Score
Kentucky fans have no clue how close they are to becoming Indiana.

They wanted to throw Calipari out but they still want to brag about all the nba players they have each year even if they hate when they lose to Oral Roberts or Oakland.

Now Oats turns you down. Hurley says nope. Drew likes his life at a private Baptist college in Texas where he can do whatever he wants with no outside pressure...

Now where do you go? Mark Pope? Come on down. Welcome to becoming Indiana Basketball big blue nation.

Say whatever you want about Calipari but his teams (win or lose) are always relevant. The worst thing you can become is an after thought and Kentucky is a lot closer to that with the wrong hire than any of their fans are willing to admit.

Reaction Score
They hired Cal when he needed to escape a bad NBA situation. To a lesser extent Pitino took the job for the same reason. The piles of $$ worked in those situations, but Pitino got out as soon as possible. DH is not in the same situation. Billy Donovan is sort of in a similar situation but certainly not as bad as Cal was in. Not sure what Drew's motivation would be. Maybe he feels he's plateaued at Baylor.

Kentucky has success hiring coaches who are desperate. DH is not deperate by any means.

Reaction Score
Cal is lazy and passed his prime.... first sign of how serious Cal is about winning will be his staff. Does he bring his guys from Kentucky? He'd be an idiot to do so. This should be an opportunity to cut ties with his old staff who are also fat and lazy.

Reaction Score
Didn’t the school limit the number of students able to watch at Gampel to 6700 or so?
I'm hearing that now, so that's an important piece of information.

We were still wildly outnumbered in Pheonix.

Reaction Score
Cal is lazy and passed his prime.... first sign of how serious Cal is about winning will be his staff. Does he bring his guys from Kentucky? He'd be an idiot to do so. This should be an opportunity to cut ties with his old staff who are also fat and lazy.
I remember reading he was never the same after the loss to Wisconsin. Around that time one of his go-to assistants also left.

Reaction Score
We were still wildly outnumbered in Pheonix
It's a hard pill to swallow for some fans but we're not on that that elite tier of fan bases and may never be. Purdue is a massive public university with a wealthy alumuni and a massive endowment (probably something close to 8-10x Uconns). They're also basketball starved on the national stage from a state thats #1 in basketball obsessed culture. Unless the university suddenly picks up and builds a massive campus for 30k undergrads in Hartford we'll never have the reach of some of these other fan bases.

Reaction Score

Accepting that Northeasterners don’t travel well is just part of life. It’s a cultural thing. People in the Midwest and South travel for college sports. People in the West and Northeast travel for culture and rest (and sometimes pro sports). It just doesn’t matter. Dan Hurley probably doesn’t travel well either. He’s from Jersey.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

Not saying we weren't but the fact that we were in the Final Four last year, the women are in it almost every year, and the other teams (especially Purdue) had been waiting for this forever has to be accounted for. People only travel cross country so much

Reaction Score
It's a hard pill to swallow for some fans but we're not on that that elite tier of fan bases and may never be. Purdue is a massive public university with a wealthy alumuni and a massive endowment (probably something close to 8-10x Uconns). They're also basketball starved on the national stage from a state thats #1 in basketball obsessed culture. Unless the university suddenly picks up and builds a massive campus for 30k undergrads in Hartford we'll never have the reach of some of these other fan bases.
It’s 110,000 students and one of the largest universities in the nation

Reaction Score
I mean, we can be. In the northeast it's really success that drives fanbases. Those down years from 2015-2020 and the AAC hurt. We just don't have the generations of fanbases behind us that some of the other bluebloods do, nor we have the bandwagoners. But that can really change. Continued success will bring in another generation of fans and playing this beautiful basketball and winning will bring in a more national fanbase. Also, UNC, Duke, Kentucky have lost some cache. Even back in the early 2000s you'd find people in CT who were Duke fans. I wonder if that's the same, or if that will continue going forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom