Big Bigs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big Bigs

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that most people don't really watch basketball are are wildly overrating the quality of big men throughout the country. There are only a couple of bigs who come in every year who are pluses on both offense and defense immediately. The few who are that good are courted by everybody.

You can win a lot of different ways in college hoops. For Hurley's style of play, I think we really need an athletic shot blocker/rebounder. No, we don't have one right now. Carlton doesn't suck guys. It would be awesome to land a guy who complements his weaknesses.
Akok is one of the best shot blockers in the country. We do desperately need size though.

I watch all the games, there are good bigs on teams all over the country.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You can win a lot of different ways in college hoops. For Hurley's style of play, I think we really need an athletic shot blocker/rebounder. No, we don't have one right now. Carlton doesn't suck guys. It would be awesome to land a guy who complements his weaknesses.

We have Akok. He's that. Or are you just talking center?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To your first point, I think it’s critical that we stop relying so much on grad transfer and Juco big men. Freshmen may not be as ready immediately, but at least the staff can mold them into what they want them to be.

Sure, if you can get the right freshmen. Or if you already have a deep team and can carry a non contributor for two years. This is not that year. We tried, we didn’t land them (aside from Akok). So it needs to be a Grad Transfer or Juco, which at least preserves a scholarship for next year.

Reaction Score
To your first point, I think it’s critical that we stop relying so much on grad transfer and Juco big men. Freshmen may not be as ready immediately, but at least the staff can mold them into what they want them to be.

A healthy program does not rely on these types. We are not a healthy program. My dream is that we land a shot blocking 6'10ish grad transfer and then Omoruyi in the '20 class. We don't have any young guys whose development I worry about inhibiting.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Not that it hasn't been said 100 times, but we don't need a freshman who might not be as talented, and just takes up space for 4 years. We don't need Justin Brown's on the bench.

In fact, I'd argue the opposite. The two biggest needs for the program in general:
  1. Wins -- Best way to attract high end recruits is to win.
  2. Preserve a scholly -- In order to land a high end post in 2020.
Best way to do both is a quality Grad transfer.

Reaction Score
We have Akok. He's that. Or are you just talking center?

Center. Akok is the perfect 4 for us both offensively and defensively but he will be manhandled by a big 5. So many teams play 4 out that he will be in the perimeter a lot. I want a guy who will be playing in the paint who doesn't look like a kid next to Kabengele.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sure, if you can get the right freshmen. Or if you already have a deep team and can carry a non contributor for two years. This is not that year. We tried, we didn’t land them (aside from Akok). So it needs to be a Grad Transfer or Juco, which at least preserves a scholarship for next year.
Not that it hasn't been said 100 times, but we don't need a freshman who might not be as talented, and just takes up space for 4 years. We don't need Justin Brown's on the bench.

In fact, I'd argue the opposite. The two biggest needs for the program in general:
  1. Wins -- Best way to attract high end recruits is to win.
  2. Preserve a scholly -- In order to land a high end post in 2020.
Best way to do both is a quality Grad transfer.
I probably wasn’t clear. I’m well aware that grad transfer is the only way to address it this year unless a solid decommit falls into our lap. I just prefer developing bigs over 3 or 4 years to hoping we land someone serviceable for a year then doing it all over again the following year.

C

Chief00

There are good bigs all over the place, all these mid-majors have them. We used to get them and will get them again. Good start with Akok but missed on Kofi.

We were left with no frontcourt when our previous coach lost the program. Three bigs transferred at the same time, our top recruit became a shoplifting cross dresser and our old coach was reduced to scouting bigs off of YouTube videos.

Even Chief misses the boat sometimes - Who was the recruit who became a shoplifting cross dresser?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Even Chief misses the boat sometimes - Who was the recruit who became a shoplifting cross dresser?
Zach Brown

C

Chief00

Zach Brown

That’s right on the shop lifting - and some other things as well - missed the news on the cross dressing though. I guess it became such a mess I tuned it out after awhile. Or confused it with Glen Miller’s red socks.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
That’s right on the shop lifting - and some other things as well - missed the news on the cross dressing though. I guess it became such a mess I tuned it out after awhile. Or confused it with Glen Miller’s red socks.
He was dressed in drag during his latest arrest, at least I think it was his latest I can’t keep up anymore. I guess he goes by Jessica Turnberry now. Kid has some serious issues, hope he’s getting help.

8E8FB766-60FB-48A2-BDD0-A2781A59D540.png
8E8FB766-60FB-48A2-BDD0-A2781A59D540.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Huskies may have to recruit and then develop big men...

Each team has their own philosophy on team building...UConn still has a basketball blue blood tag so they may still have a leg up on getting a quality, ready to start, big man over teams like FSU, Texas, etc. who have had to recruit raw bigs.

Out of the Nole's five 2019 commits...two are 7 foot centers...but I don't think that they will be ready, as freshmen, to jump into ACC competition.

I know that there is a sense of urgency to win games and soon, but is developing big men out of the picture?

Reaction Score
Whaley is an option next year. He just needs a chance to play. He will be a year older bigger and stronger. Precious A. Is a must get.

Reaction Score
See the thing about basketball is that a shooter can be off and not shoot well that day , or a ball handler can have a bad game and turn over the ball but a tall guy never has a bad day being tall. He is tall every game .

Related to me by legendary CCSC coach Bill Dietrich many years ago.

Reactions: pj

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Whaley is an option next year. He just needs a chance to play. He will be a year older bigger and stronger. Precious A. Is a must get.
No disrespect to Whaley, but have you seen him play?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom