Big Bigs | The Boneyard

Big Bigs

C

Chief00

Chief is watching the LSU vs MD game. We just need some Bigs so bad that pass the physicality eye test. They don’t even have to be great players, just some dudes who can battle in the paint.
My old friend Clyde Vaughn use to say, he was after a big buck when he would go on a recruiting trip. Fortunately, Clyde could reel them in - he was such a commanding physical presence himself.

Hats off to New Haven’s Tremont Waters - making that clutch layup.

Reaction Score
Chief is watching the LSU vs MD game. We just need some Bigs so bad that pass the physicality eye test. They don’t even have to be great players, just some dudes who can battle in the paint.
My old friend Clyde Vaughn use to say, he was after a big buck when he would go on a recruiting trip. Fortunately, Clyde could reel them in - he was such a commanding physical presence himself.

With our luck lately I would rather have 5 big guards that can shoot and run circles around teams then have a big 7’ unathletic, foul prone, presence under the rim.

Unless you can grab a urinal next to Kofi and sweet talk him into decommiting and come to UConn, I think we aren’t going to get another Okafor or Drummond anytime soon. Hopefully 2020 or 2021 pans out.

The bright side is we have Akok. Kid can play the 3-5. Alosi needs to beef the kid up ASAP.

Reaction Score
even the low majors seem to have good bigs that we don't

Watching these games makes me realize just how high the mountain is for us to climb. All about recruiting. One thing DH can sell is playing time at all 5 positions.

Reaction Score
Ten teams have won at least one tournament game in each of the past three seasons....Yeah...they had "bigs"...

Duke
Florida
FSU
Gonzaga
Kansas
Kentucky
Michigan
North Carolina
Purdue
Villanova

C

Chief00

With our luck lately I would rather have 5 big guards that can shoot and run circles around teams then have a big 7’ unathletic, foul prone, presence under the rim.

Unless you can grab a urinal next to Kofi and sweet talk him into decommiting and come to UConn, I think we aren’t going to get another Okafor or Drummond anytime soon. Hopefully 2020 or 2021 pans out.

The bright side is we have Akok. Kid can play the 3-5. Alosi needs to beef the kid up ASAP.
Just don’t buy into the popular narrative that you don’t need Bigs anymore. We got killed on the offensive boards in key games and we had no one back there to clean things up defensively.

Reaction Score
Just don’t buy into the popular narrative that you don’t need Bigs anymore. We got killed on the offensive boards in key games and we had no one back there to clean things up defensively.

I agree we need bigs. But we need quality bigs.

Reaction Score

Don’t say that or we will end up with a front line of Eric Cobb’s. We need big guys with some skills on defense and offense that can be taught.

Reaction Score
We're still really experiencing the aftereffects of the 2016-17 exodus, so you have to think we're at least two years away from having a talented AND deep frontcourt, grad transfers notwithstanding. Enoch and Durham leaving killed us up front (although I don't blame them one iota) and KO didn't respond to the blow.

I think people will be really surprised by Akok's defensive contributions. He's very fast-twitch, super long, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a 5 rebound a game guy as a freshman. He's also an excellent shot blocker and I think will provide much better rim protection than some farm boy who's 7 ft but can't play above the rim. BUT, I def agree with grabbing at least one true "banger" for next year off the transfer market, because our depth is woefully lacking.

Reaction Score
I've noticed that too. How is that Iowa has a bench full of 6'11 farmers? Can we get 1 dude who can rebound and perhaps shoot a 3?
Its amazing isnt it? Ive been wondering that myself for the past few years. There hasnt been at least one guy in the entire country thats 6-9 or 10 whos built more than a string bean and can just run up and down the court and grab 8/9 rebounds a game, block a couple shots, and be somewhat of a defensive presence without fouling?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Its amazing isnt it? Ive been wondering that myself for the past few years. There hasnt been at least one guy in the entire country thats 6-9 or 10 whos built more than a string bean and can just run up and down the court and grab 8/9 rebounds a game, block a couple shots, and be somewhat of a defensive presence without fouling?

There are guys like that. Problem is they're highly valued commodities.

Reaction Score
There are guys like that. Problem is they're highly valued commodities.
There are good bigs all over the place, all these mid-majors have them. We used to get them and will get them again. Good start with Akok but missed on Kofi.

We were left with no frontcourt when our previous coach lost the program. Three bigs transferred at the same time, our top recruit became a shoplifting cross dresser and our old coach was reduced to scouting bigs off of YouTube videos.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There are good bigs all over the place, all these mid-majors have them. We used to get them and will get them again. Good start with Akok but missed on Kofi.

We will, but it won't happen regularly as soon as you'd like.

Reaction Score
You put enoch/durham/jackson in our line-up this year and we would probably be in the tourney has like a 6-7 seed

Reaction Score
Watching this tournament just shows you UConn needs to get bigs and 3-point shooters. That's how you win games in the tournament.
Agree...Along with quality point/guard play which we have and should have for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score

Really miss Clyde. That guy could coach up the big men. Really surprised noboday has given him a second chance.
I've heard people commend Hunter with his work on Carlton. If he's half as good as Clyde, we're okay.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We're still really experiencing the aftereffects of the 2016-17 exodus, so you have to think we're at least two years away from having a talented AND deep frontcourt, grad transfers notwithstanding. Enoch and Durham leaving killed us up front (although I don't blame them one iota) and KO didn't respond to the blow.

I think people will be really surprised by Akok's defensive contributions. He's very fast-twitch, super long, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a 5 rebound a game guy as a freshman. He's also an excellent shot blocker and I think will provide much better rim protection than some farm boy who's 7 ft but can't play above the rim. BUT, I def agree with grabbing at least one true "banger" for next year off the transfer market, because our depth is woefully lacking.
KO didn’t respond to the blow because he caused the blow

Reaction Score
Seton Hall, next season, will have a big shot blocker...

7 footer Ike Obiaga transferred from FSU after his freshman season...

Great blocker, rim protector, not so much on offense.

You really need both.

The Huskies need length, but length that can play offense and defense.

Reaction Score
even the low majors seem to have good bigs that we don't
Yup. And why is that? Year after freaking year we watch teams from nowhere with skilled bigs. Do they pick them from “bigs” trees on the green? Yet we get guys that either get thrown to the floor with a feather or need leg transplants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom