Big Bigs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big Bigs

Reaction Score
Much can happen these next couple months with transfers, juco's or unsigned 2019 grads but it a must that we add a big man before next season. We are so weak up front it's pathetic.

Reaction Score
Can Diarra play next year and if not why would he still take up a scholarship? Have to get Josh some help and add a guard if Al keeps getting hurt. The 2 freshman and Vital are not enough. The mid majors are full of players that could start for us. Such a recruiting disaster.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
A top-20 recruit or 2? No problem!
It's for people who are looking for seven footers. We need size like AO but more importantly someone who is aggressive when rebounding and playing defense

C

Chief00

Really miss Clyde. That guy could coach up the big men. Really surprised noboday has given him a second chance.
I've heard people commend Hunter with his work on Carlton. If he's half as good as Clyde, we're okay.

Agree on all points.

C

Chief00

Can Diarra play next year and if not why would he still take up a scholarship? Have to get Josh some help and add a guard if Al keeps getting hurt. The 2 freshman and Vital are not enough. The mid majors are full of players that could start for us. Such a recruiting disaster.

Chief isn’t going to respond directly on Diarra. Would suggest though you look at his chronic knee history and how many games he has been able to play.
Best Regards, Chief

Reaction Score
Not supposed to talk about it but we'll have more than the 1 open scholly we currently have.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bottom line - if DH/staff doesn't score a quality big who can walk in and contribute day 1 then they are in for a longer year than this and he better revise the plan
This program can't go much longer without a consistent level of talent in the post area
As Chief00 has lamented where the hell is Clyde when UConn could use him most - I don't give a crap about what happened years ago - folks have done so much worse and are still in the game

C

Chief00

Bottom line - if Dan Hurley/staff doesn't score a quality big who can walk in and contribute day 1 then they are in for a longer year than this and he better revise the plan
This program can't go much longer without a consistent level of talent in the post area
As Chief00 has lamented where the hell is Clyde when UConn could use him most - I don't give a crap about what happened years ago - folks have done so much worse and are still in the game

Right on! But, no disrespect to Coach Hunter, who has upgraded coaching at this position.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Right on! But, no disrespect to Coach Hunter, who has upgraded coaching at this position.
No disrespect meant to Hunter
Just unsure as to strategy in getting a quality big - I don't remember DH ever having one - at least one that has the talents he needs here

C

Chief00

Just unsure as to strategy in getting a quality big - I don't remember Dan Hurley ever having one - at least one that has the talents he needs here
At this level he will need to get some to be successful.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Really miss Clyde. That guy could coach up the big men. Really surprised noboday has given him a second chance.
I've heard people commend Hunter with his work on Carlton. If he's half as good as Clyde, we're okay.

Chief's second account?

Clyde was only here for two years man. And we had 15+ years of great big production.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just unsure as to strategy in getting a quality big - I don't remember Dan Hurley ever having one - at least one that has the talents he needs here

The strategy now is 'look at what we did with a kid like Carlton', who could barely walk when he got here. You want to get better, come here.

And we got one big this year, a talented one at that. Already on campus even. He's not a bruiser, but he does have a number of tools to work with.

Next step is to get a monster. Personally, I'm hoping 5th year, so we keep that scholly for 2020.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
What’re y’alls thoughts on taking chances on players with questionable character issues? Calhoun did it during a time when we didn’t even necessarily need them, sometimes they worked out(Butler), sometimes they didn’t(Miles). We need both a culture change and a talent infusion, so a case can be made either way. There are players out there that we probably could land with talent that no one really wants to take a chance on, Dimon Carrigan for example. IMO it takes a certain type of no nonsense coach to have any luck with these players Jim Calhoun fit that bill, as does Bill Belchik. I’m still unsure if Hurley is that type of coach, he seems like more of a players coach.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What’re y’alls thoughts on taking chances on players with questionable character issues? Calhoun did it during a time when we didn’t even necessarily need them, sometimes they worked out(Butler), sometimes they didn’t(Miles). We need both a culture change and a talent infusion, so a case can be made either way. There are players out there that we probably could land with talent that no one really wants to take a chance on, Dimon Carrigan for example. IMO it takes a certain type of no nonsense coach to have any luck with these players Jim Calhoun fit that bill, as does Bill Belchik. I’m still unsure if Hurley is that type of coach, he seems like more of a players coach.

If you have a culture built, and that kind of coach, then fine. But we still don't have that. Hard pass.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yup. And why is that? Year after freaking year we watch teams from nowhere with skilled bigs. Do they pick them from “bigs” trees on the green? Yet we get guys that either get thrown to the floor with a feather or need leg transplants.

I think too many teams pass on guys who have limited athleticism, with no NBA level upside, but who have solid fundamental basketball skills. They end up at places like Cogate, Vermont, Harvard and others.

I looked at Harvard’s class. Saw this kid 6’9” and 220. Ciaran Brayboy, New Trier, Center (BK)
In two years he’s going to be an effective player, doing all the things you want. Blocking out, defending the post, making FTs and layups.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that most people don't really watch basketball are are wildly overrating the quality of big men throughout the country. There are only a couple of bigs who come in every year who are pluses on both offense and defense immediately. The few who are that good are courted by everybody.

You can win a lot of different ways in college hoops. For Hurley's style of play, I think we really need an athletic shot blocker/rebounder. No, we don't have one right now. Carlton doesn't suck guys. It would be awesome to land a guy who complements his weaknesses.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that most people don't really watch basketball are are wildly overrating the quality of big men throughout the country. There are only a couple of bigs who come in every year who are pluses on both offense and defense immediately. The few who are that good are courted by everybody.

You can win a lot of different ways in college hoops. For Hurley's style of play, I think we really need an athletic shot blocker/rebounder. No, we don't have one right now. Carlton doesn't suck guys. It would be awesome to land a guy who complements his weaknesses.
To your first point, I think it’s critical that we stop relying so much on grad transfer and Juco big men. Freshmen may not be as ready immediately, but at least the staff can mold them into what they want them to be.

Reaction Score
It was morbidly depressing watching FSU and Purdue up close tonight operating at such a high level. We are so far from these teams. No idea how it got to this point. Well I do. But it is daunting the task Hurley has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom