Big 12 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's crazy, and includes a three (four) year period where we went a combined 4-31.
Just read 7 pages of that thread and holy.... I highly recommend it. Half of them are talking about UConn like we're a high school with no fan base. Someone needs to remind those people the population of WV - it's half that of CT, which is already a small state.
That’s an ignorant take on their part.
The CT 20 year span includes includes our first 19 seasons at D1 plus the year before.
Our BE record was 60-51 (.541) over 9 seasons. WV’s record in the Big 12 is 73-63 (.536) over 12 seasons. They shouldn’t be thumbing their noses at anyone.
Plus their best 8 year span in program history was 04-11, they split with Colorado (lost 08, won 09).
It’s going to be great when we start whoopin their butts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A friend of mine, downsized as he approaches retirement, and his triplets were grown. He bought a house in 2020 in Delray Beach for about 660,000 it’s value now it’s about 1.1 million.
A buddy of mine bought a place in Boca West for 1 million and just sold it for $2.5M. He plans to buy a condo in the near term there and wait for something to come up in the million dollar range.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine, downsized as he approaches retirement, and his triplets were grown. He bought a house in 2020 in Delray Beach for about 660,000 it’s value now it’s about 1.1 million.

Does he like it there? I’ve been looking in Jupiter, Delray, and Naples.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It's absolutely happening. Cost is a factor for sure, and yes those southern public schools are cheaper or provide merit aid. Weather is a factor. Some kids I know wanted the whole fraternity/sorority thing. Sometimes it's the big schools, but like you said, small ones are also popular with northern kids. College of Charleston is another.

But here's another factor, these kids mostly know they can't afford to live in Boston, CT, NYC after college anyway. A friend of mine from NoCal just drove his recent college grad daughter to Raleigh, NC to start her post college life. The general exodus from super high cost northeastern and west coast cities applies to people in their 20s too. It's not going to change any time soon, although Miami has now joined the list of super high cost cities.

Don't worry about Nelson. His views on anything south of PA or between it and CA were closer to accurate 120 years ago. They bear no resemblance to current reality.
Wish I could see Waylon's posts, I can only imagine what he's saying.

Reaction Score
Genius!

C & C - Connecticut & Colorado - would deal a blow to the Big East and a deathblow to the PAC. The Big 12 then becomes the promised land for programs in the PAC and ACC as those programs want to follow the Huskies and the Buffaloes. The Big 12 can then probably raise its entrance fees for those in waiting. It may not have the cream of the crop in football, but it could have the most breadth and depth which spells entertainment $$. Literally any program could win the conference and that's much better than being a rutgers fan. The Big 12 will eventually have programs from the Big 12, Big East/AAC, PAC, ACC. It will rebrand as:
"Big Country!" Brilliant!

In a big country dreams stay with you
Like a lover's voice fires the mountainside
Stay alive

So take that look out of here it doesn't fit you
Because it's happened doesn't mean you've been discarded
Pull up your head off the floor, come up screaming
Cry out for everything you ever might have wanted

Reaction Score
Interview with Karen Brodkin, Executive VP of Endeavor, the media consulting company that Yormark used for the TV deal. She says that Yormark is a marketing genius and a builder of brands. She says that both basketball and women's sports are undervalued. Note in the Big 12 announcement, it says that Endeavor will lead the Big 12's conference composition strategy.

Starts around 42:50

Here is the Big 12 announcement:

The Big 12 Conference today announced it has appointed WME Sports and IMG Media, both Endeavor companies, to facilitate its global content and commercial strategy. Leaning into the expertise of the broader Endeavor network, WME Sports and IMG Media will lead the Big 12’s:

o media strategy, advisory and negotiation;
o conference composition strategy;
o premier asset assessment; and
o sales analytics and valuation.

“We have aligned with a best-in-class team to build a best-in-class business strategy for the Conference,” said Commissioner Brett Yormark. “As we ‘Open for Business’ to elevate the Big 12, the expertise and knowledge WME Sports and IMG Media bring to the table is critically important to analyze and evaluate the merit of commercial initiatives that strengthen our brand.”

“We are proud to bring the full power of the Endeavor network to bear for the Big 12,” said Karen Brodkin, Co-Head, WME Sports and EVP of Content Strategy and Development, Endeavor. “Brett and his team are innovating, upgrading and commercially accelerating value across the full spectrum of Conference assets, including media, content, partnerships, championship events, music, entertainment, international events and Web3, and we look forward to partnering with them to realize all of their ambitions.”

Reaction Score
Genius! The Big 12 will eventually have programs from the Big 12, Big East/AAC, PAC, ACC. It will rebrand as:
"Big Country!" Brilliant!

Historical precedent, Oklahoma State’s Big Country, Bryant Reeves. And for visiting Huskies’ fans in Stillwater, Eskimo Joes, a classic college town establishment.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I posted this in the expansion thread on the hoops board:

ESPN has shown a willingness to keep paying for content, because it is trying to justify a separate sports subscription for ESPNPlus. We will see. In the old days, Fox and ESPN were both fighting for content because they wanted the carriage fees on cable. I do not understand Fox's online strategy, and I don't think they do either.

CBS Sports will be folded into ParamountPlus. I will give Paramount credit. They folded a bunch of marginal channels (CBSSports, Showtime, Nick, MTV) into a decent subscription service. I would not be surprised if they put up a fight in sports.

MAX is probably going to fold TNT into it within a few years. I do not see them being active in college, but they will continue with the NBA.

That leaves Netflix, Apple and Amazon, and possibly Google depending on what they do with YoutubeTV. Netflix seems content churning out mediocre content cheaply, and Netflix is making a mountain of money so they have no pressure to do anything. Apple and Amazon have bottomless pockets but streaming services that are both losing money and kind of marginal. Those two can rock the sports world with their next move.

Another challenge the South and much of the Midwest have is that it may not be possible to deliver high speed Internet to rural areas, at least not for a while. This means that cord cutting is more difficult in those areas, and a lot of fans will have to stay with cable. But cable channels may start shutting down. What is the point of being a cable channel if your customers are moving to streaming and your cable audience is shrinking by 7-8% a year. I don't know what happens in this dynamic, and I suspect that many of the college broadcast partners don't either.

Reaction Score
I posted this in the expansion thread on the hoops board:

Another challenge the South and much of the Midwest have is that it may not be possible to deliver high speed Internet to rural areas, at least not for a while. This means that cord cutting is more difficult in those areas, and a lot of fans will have to stay with cable. But cable channels may start shutting down. What is the point of being a cable channel if your customers are moving to streaming and your cable audience is shrinking by 7-8% a year. I don't know what happens in this dynamic, and I suspect that many of the college broadcast partners don't either.
Doesn't high speed internet travel over the same wire as cable TV? So if all those people in the South and Midwest have to stay with cable, doesn't that mean they also have access to high speed internet (if they want it)?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Basically same as usual. Those states are full of uneducated hicks, like a scene from Deliverance, they have no STEM at those universities. They live by the grace of their betters in the north. Now he's adding that they may not have high speed internet.

Meanwhile, Research Triangle Park and Oak Ridge Tennessee enter the chat. For those unaware, even Wichita. Overview

Last I checked, the Research Triangle is in North Carolina, which is not an SEC state. And there are literally hundreds of articles about the difficulty of delivering high speed internet to rural areas. This is not something that I came up with.

These states are what they are. Any areas of economic vitality in these states are big urban areas like Atlanta or Nashville. Even the small cities have serious issues. Florida and Texas are exceptions, which is why I did not include them in my earlier posts. Florida is a symbol of fantastic marketing. The fact that a state that has one of the most expensive cities in the entire world in Miami, and an expensive city in Tampa, successfully pitches itself as a low cost destination for transplants will be studied in marketing classes 100 years from now.

Most of these "cost of living" analyses are misleading, because you do not need a car to live in New York, and you basically don't need one to live in San Francisco. You absolutely need a car in Miami, a high crime city that is also one of the most expensive to insure a car.

Reaction Score
Historical precedent, Oklahoma State’s Big Country, Bryant Reeves. And for visiting Huskies’ fans in Stillwater, Eskimo Joes, a classic college town establishment.

Eskimo Joe's was a great experience. I was fortunate enough to visit The Tumbleweed before it closed. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think of Bryant Reeves.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Interview with Karen Brodkin, Executive VP of Endeavor, the media consulting company that Yormark used for the TV deal. She says that Yormark is a marketing genius and a builder of brands. She says that both basketball and women's sports are undervalued. Note in the Big 12 announcement, it says that Endeavor will lead the Big 12's conference composition strategy.

Starts around 42:50

Here is the Big 12 announcement:

The Big 12 Conference today announced it has appointed WME Sports and IMG Media, both Endeavor companies, to facilitate its global content and commercial strategy. Leaning into the expertise of the broader Endeavor network, WME Sports and IMG Media will lead the Big 12’s:

o media strategy, advisory and negotiation;
o conference composition strategy;
o premier asset assessment; and
o sales analytics and valuation.

“We have aligned with a best-in-class team to build a best-in-class business strategy for the Conference,” said Commissioner Brett Yormark. “As we ‘Open for Business’ to elevate the Big 12, the expertise and knowledge WME Sports and IMG Media bring to the table is critically important to analyze and evaluate the merit of commercial initiatives that strengthen our brand.”

“We are proud to bring the full power of the Endeavor network to bear for the Big 12,” said Karen Brodkin, Co-Head, WME Sports and EVP of Content Strategy and Development, Endeavor. “Brett and his team are innovating, upgrading and commercially accelerating value across the full spectrum of Conference assets, including media, content, partnerships, championship events, music, entertainment, international events and Web3, and we look forward to partnering with them to realize all of their ambitions.”

Endeavor just bought a majority share of the WWE for 9B. They are a power player

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
For now, but as the climate, political and real, become less favorable for commerce and life, the population trends will shift again as they have for all of human history.

All of human history? Well, yes- but conf decisions for UConn should just work with the near term- say the next 50 years and that is nothing but robust growth for points south.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh god- please end this nonsensical discussion that the points south the northeast are inferior or suffering or backwards… it’s so misguided and uninformed. The world has been changing since the 1960s and that pace of change has only accelerated the past 10 years.
I could not agree more!

redneck GIF

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Doesn't high speed internet travel over the same wire as cable TV? So if all those people in the South and Midwest have to stay with cable, doesn't that mean they also have access to high speed internet (if they want it)?
I though satellite was the provider of choice in the sticks.

Reaction Score
Basically same as usual. Those states are full of uneducated hicks, like a scene from Deliverance, they have no STEM at those universities. They live by the grace of their betters in the north. Now he's adding that they may not have high speed internet.

Meanwhile, Research Triangle Park and Oak Ridge Tennessee enter the chat. For those unaware, even Wichita. Overview
He really needs to leave CT for once in his life. It's sad.

Reaction Score
Parker - Stats of War has never had anything nice to say about us (I don’t think anyway)….

it baffles me how people come up with this stuff. houston would be in the 4 texas pod, cincy would be in the eastern pod, and ok st would be in the plains pod. the only one he got right is the western pod:

Zona
ASU
BYU
CO

TCU
TT
Baylor
Houston

KU
KS
ISU
OK ST

UConn
Cincy
WVY
UCF

Reaction Score
Oh god- please end this nonsensical discussion that the points south the northeast are inferior or suffering or backwards… it’s so misguided and uninformed. The world has been changing since the 1960s and that pace of change has only accelerated the past 10 years.
Agree, but isn’t it funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak