Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You need me to pretend I'm younger than I am?

I'll make you a deal -- the first time that a power conference adds a school to its football league for primarily basketball reasons, I will compliment you for being ahead of trends. (Because I'm a boomer, as I've said for years I don't plan on seeing that day unless the NCAA stops funding itself and its subsidies for member schools solely through hoops but makes football pay its share). Until then, however, please quit pretending that you thinking something new will happen in the future is the same as it actually having happened.

Just saying something like "football drives the bus" is true because it is conventional wisdom does not mean it is true. Other than Nebraska to the Big 10 and Virginia Tech to the ACC, I can't think of a single conference move that occurred in the last 30 plus years that happened because of football. Virtually all conference moves occurred because of TV markets. That is why the SEC added dry wells like South Carolina, Arkansas, and Missouri, and the Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland. Neither league cared whether any of those programs was ever any good, which is a good thing for the Big 10 and SEC, because all five programs have sucked for the most part in their new leagues.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How can anyone converse with someone that sees the above basic observation as a slap? You aren’t serious- we get it.

In the meantime I’ll wait for your long list of hedge funds lead by UConn grads. And pretty much only founders have the level of coin that matters.

Another slap at UConn.

Reaction Score
Just saying something like "football drives the bus" is true because it is conventional wisdom does not mean it is true. Other than Nebraska to the Big 10 and Virginia Tech to the ACC, I can't think of a single conference move that occurred in the last 30 plus years that happened because of football. Virtually all conference moves occurred because of TV markets. That is why the SEC added dry wells like South Carolina, Arkansas, and Missouri, and the Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland. Neither league cared whether any of those programs was ever any good, which is a good thing for the Big 10 and SEC, because all five programs have sucked for the most part in their new leagues.
What about Penn State when it was added to the B1G? Can't imagine that was for the juggernaut State College-Altoona-Johnstown TV market.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What about Penn State when it was added to the B1G? Can't imagine that was for the juggernaut State College-Altoona-Johnstown TV market.

You mean the flagship school for the fifth biggest state in the country?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Your list?

Are you trying to justify your non-stop trashing on UConn on this board? You didn't go there, did you? I bet you just post here because it is an active board overall and you like to talk realignment.

Based on the fact that you are condescending without being that bright, you probably went to Fairfield U. Am I right?

Reaction Score
It's not UConn as much as the perception of adding only G5. I know you guys don't want to hear that stuff, but it's reality. That's why UConn pairing with a PAC school matters so much. It shouldn't but it does.
Sounds like you're describing a follower not a leader. An ounce of image is worth a pound of performance guy. Yormack doesn't strike me as a follower. Hurley doesn't strike me as a follower. Mora doesn't strike me as a follower. Calhoun wasn't a follower. Auriemma isn't a follower.

We've had enough followers. We've seen how they ruin things. The real question is is UConn the institution a leader or a follower. That's what Yormack wants to see. That's what the Big12 want to see. Not how much we're putting into the budget for football, but why we're putting that much into the budget. They want to know what the school's goals are and how a football budget advances those goals. If UConn can't/won't/doesn't articulate those reasons, they aren't a good fit for P5. It's a signal they're followers.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Of those schools:
  • Arkansas Football was ranked at some point in the season in its 7 straight years prior to joining the SEC in 1992.
  • South Carolina was ranked at some point in the season in 6 of 8 years prior to joining the SEC in 1992.
  • Missouri was ranked at some point in the season in 8 of 9 years prior to joining the SEC in 2012.
  • Maryland was ranked at some point in the season in 8 of 13 years prior to joining the BIG in 2014.
By far the weakest is Rutgers - a famous cable box addition- but still had manage to win more than not in the years prior to landing at the B1G.
  • Rutgers was ranked at some point in the season in 4 of 8 years prior to joining the BIG in 2014. During that time they also had won at least 8 games in 6 of those 8 seasons and had just two sub 500 seasons in that period.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Are you trying to justify your non-stop trashing on UConn on this board? You didn't go there, did you? I bet you just post here because it is an active board overall and you like to talk realignment.

Based on the fact that you are condescending without being that bright, you probably went to Fairfield U. Am I right?
You are unhinged!!!!

Yes its clear in my 36k posts I hate UConn.

Never seen a poster so comfortable with willful blindness.

Not a Fairfield grad...not even from CT.

Reaction Score

Are you ok...?

Reaction Score
You are unhinged!!!!

Yes its clear in my 36k posts I hate UConn.

Never seen a poster so comfortable with willful blindness.

Not a Fairfield grad...not even from CT.
He's a troll off his meds. Just disengage.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of those schools:
  • Arkansas Football was ranked at some point in the season in its 7 straight years prior to joining the SEC in 1992.
  • South Carolina was ranked at some point in the season in 6 of 8 years prior to joining the SEC in 1992.
  • Missouri was ranked at some point in the season in 8 of 9 years prior to joining the SEC in 2012.
  • Maryland was ranked at some point in the season in 8 of 13 years prior to joining the BIG in 2014.
By far the weakest is Rutgers - a famous cable box addition- but still had manage to win more than not in the years prior to landing at the B1G.
  • Rutgers was ranked at some point in the season in 4 of 8 years prior to joining the BIG in 2014. During that time they also had won at least 8 games in 6 of those 8 seasons and had just two sub 500 seasons in that period.

You are arguing that because a school cracked some ranking once in a year, it is a powerhouse program? Arkansas has had 7 winning seasons in 31 years in the SEC. Missouri has had 2 in 11 years, and South Carolina has had 8 in 31 years in the SEC. Saying Arkansas, Missouri and South Carolina are not football powerhouses is not a controversial statement.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are arguing that because a school cracked some ranking once in a year, it is a powerhouse program? Arkansas has had 7 winning seasons in 31 years in the SEC. Missouri has had 2 in 11 years, and South Carolina has had 8 in 31 years in the SEC. Saying Arkansas, Missouri and South Carolina are not football powerhouses is not a controversial statement.
We are talking about what the programs were before stepping up to SEC and B1G football. What these programs were as power conference candidates. Once they got inside their conferences reality hit. Once inside not everyone can be a winner by rule of simple math.

Of your examples, only Rutty stands up as historically bad at football. And even Rutty managed to get off the floor in that decade prior to the invite. We all know Rutty was blessed by the cable box gods.

Reaction Score

You've now said something I agree with. Yes, a lot of the moves occurred in whole or material part because of TV markets. Putting aside the "we get NY with UConn" argument (which is not totally false but is totally false when it comes to football, which drives cable box numbers anyway), as you yourself keep (correctly) saying the future is not cable boxes but eyeballs. Our eyeballs in football is very low. If it wasn't, someone would have paid us more than CBS Sports for our games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You've now said something I agree with. Yes, a lot of the moves occurred in whole or material part because of TV markets. Putting aside the "we get NY with UConn" argument (which is not totally false but is totally false when it comes to football, which drives cable box numbers anyway), as you yourself keep (correctly) saying the future is not cable boxes but eyeballs. Our eyeballs in football is very low. If it wasn't, someone would have paid us more than CBS Sports for our games.

College sports are regional, and the market will be fragmenting even more. UConn football is not a prestige property. I think we all get that. But UConn is a flagship state school in a wealthy state that will never have a pro team. In a post cable box world, that is at least interesting to potential conferences.

I also think that the conferences are going to seriously re-evaluate their revenue sharing because I do not think the Big 10's revenue streams are sustainable for long if they can't get paid for boxes that don't watch football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our eyeballs in football is very low. If it wasn't, someone would have paid us more than CBS Sports for our games.

As I said to you on one other occasion, a decade of unadulterated suck will do that.

Regarding the fact that we have a broadcast deal for all of our home games notwithstanding the fact that we are an independent speaks pretty well for the brand.

I think we're going to see attendance pick up, it already appears to be looking pretty good for NC State, and television ratings to increase. If we can manage not to suck, attendance will rise and viewers will come.

Reaction Score
As I said to you on one other occasion, a decade of unadulterated suck will do that.

Regarding the fact that we have a broadcast deal for all of our home games notwithstanding the fact that we are an independent speaks pretty well for the brand.

I think we're going to see attendance pick up, it already appears to be looking pretty good for NC State, and television ratings to increase. If we can manage not to suck, attendance will rise and viewers will come.
Its one thing to be bad, but what happened during RE 2.0 was simply unbelievable. We went a pass break up in the endzone against Yale at the horn to keep from going 0-2, against FCS in 1 season. It really did LOOK like the goal was to shut it down.

Reaction Score
UCF and Houston are in very good recruiting areas and Cincinnati is decent recruiting area as well. BYU has a good football history, 68,000 fans and a national Mormon following. Those four schools easily trump us in football.

Reaction Score
And that’s our problem, we don’t bring a big tv market. Nobody in Boston or NYC cares about us.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Easy, 3 of the last 4 are for football. Yes, 2 of them (USC and Texas) are in huge states, but Oklahoma is not. They were taken for football reasons. The SEC was already into Texas cable boxes with TAMU. Yes, the previous round was about cable boxes, but that’s the anomaly.

This is just a crazy argument. Teams are taken for viewership. 3 of the schools that are moving in ‘24 are traditional football powers. They draw eyes on screens. Football games between traditional programs draw huge ratings. That’s why at the current time football drives the bus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom