Big 12 Pausing Expansion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pausing Expansion

Reaction Score
While Benedict has always preferred us in the ACC, this pause in the Big 12 expansion, which was a hoped for strategy, now puts us back in the same position we would have been if the Big12 deal had been agreed to. .

We must still pour everything we have into building our football program—just as if we were pointing toward playing in the Big12 in 2031, including plans for an on campus stadium.
This is existential. There’s no way our future athletic programs can survive without entry into a P-4 conference.

Reaction Score
And basketball will still be frozen out of the future national championships. It has nothing to do with money. The P4 are going to create their own tourney and UConn won't be invited.
And the rest of the country won't care.
The northeast is a dy8ng section of the country compared to the rest of the regions, the NYC media no longer drives national narratives and the decision makers are all in different parts of the country.
It's P4 or die for UConn.
Disagree, I think the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Reaction Score
While Benedict has always preferred us in the ACC, this pause in the Big 12 expansion, which was a hoped for strategy, now puts us back in the same position we would have been if the Big12 deal had been agreed to. .

We must still pour everything we have into building our football program—just as if we were pointing toward playing in the Big12 in 2031, including plans for an on campus stadium.
This is existential. There’s no way our future athletic programs can survive without entry into a P-4 conference.
I get what you're saying but the situation is very different. With the Big 12 agreement there would have been a sense of urgency. We would have been hopeful. It may have helped recruiting. Investments would be required. Now we just feel deflated and the team may feel the same way. What worries me most right now is this Merrimack game. Not kidding.

Reaction Score
And basketball will still be frozen out of the future national championships. It has nothing to do with money. The P4 are going to create their own tourney and UConn won't be invited.
And the rest of the country won't care.
The northeast is a dy8ng section of the country compared to the rest of the regions, the NYC media no longer drives national narratives and the decision makers are all in different parts of the country.
It's P4 or die for UConn.
Don’t want any part of a P3 bball tourney whether we’re part of it or not. Sham tournament crowning a sham champion.

But I’m also not worried about it. The tourney is going to grow not contract.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Disagree, I think the chances of that happening are slim to none.
I don't think they'll split off from the NCAA tournament. I do think (they have already started) they will ensure that non FBS football schools take up fewer of the bids. They basically run the committee as it is.

I do see the truly big football schools doing what the big soccer teams considered doing and splitting from the mediocre and also-ran FBS teams, even in their conferences. They have to gauge fan blow-back from that, but they are moving towards it. Once they are paying players, few teams will be able to afford to play at that level.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I can't believe this really needs to be said out loud, but Brett Yormark and the Big 12 presidents are not basing the decision to add UConn off a single week 0 football game. That is next level dumb
Post of the day.

Reaction Score
95% of UConn fans do not care about football. The fact we average 25,000 a game is proof of that, not proof a lot of the fanbase cares. For half the people that show up to the games, it’s a fun way to kill a Saturday afternoon in the fall with family and friends. It’s not to watch the product.
A lot of fans in the seats during the end-term Ollie years? Nope, they were giving tickets away. 95% of UConn fans didn't care about basketball.

Reaction Score
A lot of fans in the seats during the end-term Ollie years? Nope, they were giving tickets away. 95% of UConn fans didn't care about basketball.
Ok but we Had a big East basketball light at the end of that tunnel. The light we hoped was at the end of the football tunnel was really a train and it just ran us over.

Reaction Score
Just a question here. But what would the University of Connecticut need to do to be AAU college certified? Is there any to accomplish that and hope for a Big 10 invite someday? I know that when the ACC ends its quarrel with Clemson and Florida State that they have the potential of loosing Virginia and North Carolina. The Big 10 would take both schools in a heartbeat. Even Georgia Tech would give them another huge market. I’ve lost count on how many schools are in conferences now. But it would be great if UConn could gain AAU status.

Reaction Score
Just a question here. But what would the University of Connecticut need to do to be AAU college certified? Is there any to accomplish that and hope for a Big 10 invite someday? I know that when the ACC ends its quarrel with Clemson and Florida State that they have the potential of loosing Virginia and North Carolina. The Big 10 would take both schools in a heartbeat. Even Georgia Tech would give them another huge market. I’ve lost count on how many schools are in conferences now. But it would be great if UConn could gain AAU status.
Even if UConn got AAU by maybe doubling research output, the B10 may still not want UConn. Perhaps, some day they will want UConn,

Reaction Score
Silly me, I actually thought the Big 12 would not be in these talks at this point
without having the votes. To me this never should have happened without the
votes FIRST! There is no excuse.

By the way, I care much more about football than basketball. Because the football programs will have all the money and will buy off all of the top basketball players.

Why can't people understand that? The Big East will not be the same in a few
years.

Reaction Score
To me the pause could be a way for the B12 and UConn to shut down the media noise surrounding the negotiation. The leak was untimely, and it created much drama around the sensitive negotiation. Also, there were so much uneducated false info regarding UConn during the media propaganda that really caused much pressure on the negotiation when it is not needed.

I don't feel this is over. Rather, it is just UConn and the B12 putting out a press to shut down the noise.

Reaction Score
To me the pause could be a way for the B12 and UConn to shut down the media noise surrounding the negotiation. The leak was untimely, and it created much drama around the sensitive negotiation. Also, there were so much uneducated false info regarding UConn during the media propaganda that really caused much pressure on the negotiation when it is not needed.

I don't feel this is over. Rather, it is just UConn and the B12 putting out a press to shut down the noise.
maybe it also gives UConn some time to check in with the ACC?

Reaction Score
Yormark had no business going down this road without the votes FIRST!!!!!
He should be fired.

Reaction Score

I thought that too. Maybe.

Reaction Score
Yup - Mora put up a real stinker at a most be inopportune moment...
This goes without saying that if UConn can't put a decent football team on the field, we will continue to be dragged into the mud by a bunch of uneducated media people.

I have suggested before we hired Mora that we should have hired the entire staff of South Dakota State, and I still feel the same. The fact they have created a great football team with much less resources than UConn should be more telling. If Mora doesn't deliver this year, UConn should seriously consider this path.

Reaction Score
How could he get Yes votes without UConn's presentation and Endeavor's presentation?

The problem is more that it got leaked by someone at UConn and Mark Zanetto blew up the story.
You actually think all those programs went into this with an open mind? I'd bet most would have advised him to not push for this again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom