Big 12 Pausing Expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pausing Expansion

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Have faith Annie

The sun will come up.......tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar…something something something somethinnnnnnng…

I don’t think Saturday’s over the knee spanking swayed anyone but it certainly gave the B12 member naysayers something to say “see…this is what we’re talking about”.

Need to bounce back in a big way the next few games.

Reaction Score
What exactly is the point of remaining independent in Football? Can we at least place the Team in a conference for now?

Reaction Score
What if we took the money spent on football and used it all for basketball moving forward.

Kidding. Not kidding.
Cutting football completely and the corresponding women's Title IX scholarships has to be something that's seriously talked about. Waiting around for years hoping the Big 12 takes us or until the ACC breaks up and hoping we get a life raft with the other undesirables isn't a plan.

It would free up a tremendous amount of money for basketball.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
What exactly is the point of remaining independent in Football? Can we at least place the Team in a conference for now?
No. Need to stay independent just as Oregon State and Washington State are doing. Need to schedule them going forward home and home in football.

Reaction Score
Cutting football completely and the corresponding women's Title IX scholarships has to be something that's seriously talked about. Waiting around for years hoping the Big 12 takes us or until the ACC breaks up and hoping we get a life raft with the other undesirables isn't a plan.

I would counter that point by saying it opens us up to a tremendous risk of getting left out of a P4-only basketball tournament if we drop football...but we're already on the outside looking in so who cares at this point

shizzle787

Reaction Score

The issue with this is if the P4 form a new Division 1 and the Big East gets culled, it’s over. Having a football program gives us a chance to remain on the right side of the fence.

Reaction Score
The issue with this is if the P4 form a new Division 1 and the Big East gets culled, it’s over. Having a football program gives us a chance to remain on the right side of the fence.
True but I see that as such a tiny almost nonexistent chance. I see the Big 10 and SEC breaking off as a pretty significant chance of happening.

There's too many great basketball programs for them to break off and I see the basketball tournament getting bigger instead of contracting.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
With this not happening and as long as the money stays the same or increases per school in the deal, I think the Big East should add Gonzaga. The NCAA tournament is likely expanding to 72 or 76 teams and Gonzaga is the only school worth adding financially that would help the Big East stay in the 6-7 bid range (last year was hopefully an aberration).

Reaction Score
Sadly, this is not an if but a when scenario. And UConn is on the wrong side of the fence.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
True but I see that as such a tiny almost nonexistent chance. I see the Big 10 and SEC breaking off as a pretty significant chance of happening.

There's too many great basketball programs for them to break off and I see the basketball tournament getting bigger instead of contracting.
The other issue is that unlike UMass or URI, people do actually care about UConn football: we average 25-27k a game.

Reaction Score
Can’t be great for optics and Yormark if on the week he’s looking to push his rationale, our FB team gets embarrassed. Likely a few “I told you so’s” in that room. I honestly do not know how we pull ourselves out of the FB rutt at this point as we just won’t be able to recruit at the level of a P4, which is why we need someone to take the chance on us. Otherwise we need a coach who runs impeccably disciplined teams that do the small things amazingly well, which is unlikely to be Mora at this point .

Who knows, maybe the ACC looks to get ahead of their dubious outcome and realizes it has to make a proactive, not reactive move once and for all. They pull a UConn in to resuscitate some old rivalries and all of a sudden maybe they can start claiming best hoops conference as a brand. I could argue that UConn in the ACC might have more historical hoops brands than B12.

I’m taking

UNC
Duke
UConn
Cuse
Over

Kansas
Arizona
Houston

Reaction Score
Can’t be great for optics and Yormark if on the week he’s looking to push his rationale, our FB team gets embarrassed. Likely a few “I told you so’s” in that room. I honestly do not know how we pull ourselves out of the FB rutt at this point as we just won’t be able to recruit at the level of a P4, which is why we need someone to take the chance on us. Otherwise we need a coach who runs impeccably disciplined teams that do the small things amazingly well, which is unlikely to be Mora at this point .

Who knows, maybe the ACC looks to get ahead of their dubious outcome and realizes it has to make a proactive, not reactive move once and for all. They pull a UConn in to resuscitate some old rivalries and all of a sudden maybe they can start claiming best hoops conference as a brand. I could argue that UConn in the ACC might have more historical hoops brands than B12.

I’m taking

UNC
Duke
UConn
Cuse
Over

Kansas
Arizona
Houston
Not delayed, its dead (at least for UConn) Mora had one shot at glory and it ended 50-7. As unrealistic as a win was, that was the shot to change minds. Instead, it hardened positions and turned those Big 12 schools that were on the fence into opponents. To me this move is a stall by the Big 12 until more attractive schools (in their minds) shake loose. I never liked adding non-football playing Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
Hope they put together a page like this one again: Big 12 Records | University of Connecticut

Would love to see the materials presented this time and the case that was being made. Obviously am biased but what other school can even come close to what we have? Just a matter of time until there is more expansion and this time we'll be at the top of the list. Be patient.

Reaction Score
No, we cannot. We need to be invited and that hasn't happened.

We can't compete with the P4 in recruiting and I'm not sure we can compete with the G5 conferences for recruits. Jim Mora has to find someone who is a Portal Magician.

Reaction Score
I can't believe this really needs to be said out loud, but Brett Yormark and the Big 12 presidents are not basing the decision to add UConn off a single week 0 football game. That is next level dumb
The Big 12 presidents are basing it on football, it would be nice if we could show a pulse in that sport instead of getting slaughtered.

Reaction Score
If Clemson and FSU take off for the B12 and they leave the likes of Duke and UNC behind, Yormarks idea of a separate basketball contract is totally trashed. UConn would be added to the ACC and then the ACC becomes the best bball conference in the USA

Reaction Score

Why would they want to dilute their share? They’d rather destroy competition than foster it.

Reaction Score
Would there be any advantages for the football team to move to FCS like Idaho in 2018? Asking for a friend...

Reaction Score
The Big 12 presidents are basing it on football, it would be nice if we could show a pulse in that sport instead of getting slaughtered.
I agree, but do you think a 42-20 loss suddenly gets us an invite? I agree they'll want to see a pulse, but I think that's gonna have to be a couple of bowl games, not a close loss in a single game

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Would there be any advantages for the football team to move to FCS like Idaho in 2018? Asking for a friend...
Other than possibly getting some potatoes that the dairy bar can turn into a unique-flavored ice cream, none. ^_^
Only national championships Idaho has are in boxing.

Capture.JPG

We should aspire for greatness. FCS doesn't mesh with what the university set out to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom