Big 12 Pausing Expansion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pausing Expansion

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Clemson and FSU take off for the B12 and they leave the likes of Duke and UNC behind, Yormarks idea of a separate basketball contract is totally trashed. UConn would be added to the ACC and then the ACC becomes the best bball conference in the USA
Which is what should have already happened. Unfortunately, the ACC decision makers seem to be even less astute than the Big XII decision makers.

Reaction Score
The other issue is that unlike UMass or URI, people do actually care about UConn football: we average 25-27k a game.
95% of UConn fans do not care about football. The fact we average 25,000 a game is proof of that, not proof a lot of the fanbase cares. For half the people that show up to the games, it’s a fun way to kill a Saturday afternoon in the fall with family and friends. It’s not to watch the product.

Reaction Score
Can someone smarter and more tuned-in than me tell me what Benedict was trying to do with that letter? On its face, it says absolutely nothing, so the interesting angle of it must lie in between the lines.
The subtext is screaming “best get comfy, we’re not going anywhere”

Reaction Score
Which is what should have already happened. Unfortunately, the ACC decision makers seem to be even less astute than the Big XII decision makers.
That expansion by the ACC last year was a pure panic move by all parties.

It shows how little I know about expansion because prior to that, I thought the ACC was in the driver's seat, with a GOR, major population centers, a higher annual payout, etc.

But that panic move told me everything I needed to know about who is in control: the B12.

The B12 was about to render a death blow to any challengers to basketball.

Yormark knows what he's doing. The B12 Presidents, not so much.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dave Benedict just sent an email advising the Big 12 is pausing expansion.

Dear UConn Nation,

As you know, it’s been both an exciting and turbulent time in college athletics over the past few years. With the emergence of NIL and the transfer portal, the landscape has changed dramatically. Further, conference realignment has significantly blurred the national panorama.

Undoubtedly, many of you have followed recent media reports about the Big 12’s renewed interest in UConn as a conference member. It is always our objective to put UConn in the very best position for future success, so we did engage in exploratory dialogue with the Big 12. Ultimately, the Big 12 determined that it will pause on conversations about membership expansion.

I encourage all who care deeply about the Huskies to pause and reflect. Certainly, it is flattering to be courted; it says a lot about UConn and what others think of us. Further, we have enjoyed tremendous success since our return to the BIG EAST in 2020, which has included 36 conference championships (across all conferences in which we are affiliated) and, of course, our back-to-back NCAA men’s basketball titles.

No matter our conference home, our mission has been, and will always be, to provide an exceptional academic and athletic experience to the outstanding young men and women who proudly wear the UConn uniform. It is our North Star, and we must never forget the shining principle which guides our everyday work.

Let’s celebrate who we are and be proud of our greatness. We will push forward, stay grounded in what drives us, and demonstrate our ability to be highly successful in every one of our 21 varsity sports. We will stay focused on achievement in everything we do. And we will continue to position UConn as one of the nation’s premier brands. Your ongoing support, both emotionally and financially, remains critical to ensuring a bright future and maintaining the championship tradition which defines UConn Athletics.

Thank you for your dedication to our nearly 600 student-athletes. Go Huskies!

Sincerely,

mail

David Benedict

Director of Athletics
AI written?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What if we took the money spent on football and used it all for basketball moving forward.

Kidding. Not kidding.
Not How It Works Season 25 GIF by The Bachelor

Reaction Score
Wish Dave hadn't addressed to "UConn Nation." We are the frustrated and exhausted fans waiting for Dave to achieve something.

Reaction Score
Seems like AD DB is working hard to put us in a better position, but the fans are fighting it all the way.
so far we have yet to be in any conference with football teams

Reaction Score
Other than possibly getting some potatoes that the dairy bar can turn into a unique-flavored ice cream, none. ^_^
Only national championships Idaho has are in boxing.

View attachment 103337
We should aspire for greatness. FCS doesn't mesh with what the university set out to do.
I agree but the football program hasn't exactly been trending in the right direction for awhile. If they were highly competitive - albeit at the FCS level - I wonder if that would be better than what we have now. Not suggesting that's the answer, just spit balling and curious what others think about it. They're gonna do what they're gonna do regardless, but it's interesting to think of alternatives.

And they could turn the potatoes into whiskey to celebrate another MBB Natty!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You know my feeling on it. Im happy about it.

I must be getting older and softer because I dont have it in me to even give anyone guff about it. Mostly I feel bad for the fellow UConn fans who desire a move because they like College Football. Believe it or not I do have some empathetic moments.

These days I am pissed at the people who hurt my brethren. While we may disagree on what's best for UConn Basketball (which is my only personal concern, but I respect people who have concerns other than that, I just don't agree) I am sick and tired of a National Championship University being made into a national laughingstock in the Conference affiliation repeated soap operas . Im tired of conferences using us as a pawn in the chess game of thrones. I am tired of all of it. Surely some of you must be over it too?

I would love the next time that we come up in a discussion like this for our entire fanbase and athletic department to unite, and grab our collective crotches, yell "Su*K our Dix" and spit in their eyes. This groveling for table scraps has to stop. We look so weak and desperate. I am convinced that it is part of the reason we get played so much. No one respects us. Well screw them.

Funny thing is, if we ever did take that attitude we probably end up with 3 conferences fighting over us the following week.

Reaction Score

I must be getting older and softer because I dont have it in me to even give anyone guff about it. Mostly I feel bad for the fellow UConn fans who desire a move because they like College Football. Believe it or not I do have some empathetic moments.

These days I am pissed at the people who hurt my brethren. While we may disagree on what's best for UConn Basketball (which is my only personal concern, but I respect people who have concerns other than that, I just don't agree) I am sick and tired of a National Championship University being made into a national laughingstock in the Conference affiliation repeated soap operas . Im tired of conferences using us as a pawn in the chess game of thrones. I am tired of all of it. Surely some of you must be over it too?

I would love the next time that we come up in a discussion like this for our entire fanbase and athletic department to unite, and grab our collective crotches, yell "Su*K our Dix" and spit in their eyes. This groveling for table scraps has to stop. We look so weak and desperate. I am convinced that it is part of the reason we get played so much. No one respects us. Well screw them.

Funny thing is, if we ever did take that attitude we probably end up with 3 conferences fighting over us the following week.
My friend, I don't think you really grasp how bad off UConn basketball will be if the school doesn't end up in a power conference. I really don't think you understand.

Reaction Score

Butchie?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I would counter that point by saying it opens us up to a tremendous risk of getting left out of a P4-only basketball tournament if we drop football...but we're already on the outside looking in so who cares at this point

Why would anyone want to be in a p4 only basketball tournament? If it ever came to that, it is all over anyway. A P4 basketball tournament as a replacement for the current NCAA tournament would make "New Coke" look like a success story. It would be the biggest flop ever.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
My friend, I don't think you really grasp how bad off UConn basketball will be if the school doesn't end up in a power conference. I really don't think you understand.
I bet I do grasp what you think is going to happen. I don't believe you. Because you (and everyone else) actually have zero idea of what it will be.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Why would anyone want to be in a p4 only basketball tournament? If it ever came to that, it is all over anyway. A P4 basketball tournament as a replacement for the courant NCAA tournament would make "New Coke" look like a success story. It would be the biggest flop ever.
Because that P4 (or Px) will be the haves and will dictate sports and media contracts. They will force the acceptance of New Coke, and those not part of the haves will be relegated to the likes of being RC cola...yes it has fans, but it's not the de facto leader and is more of an afterthought. We don't want UConn to be an afterthought. I like the Big East, I do, but nostalgia cannot override financial security or national relevance.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 presidents are basing it on football, it would be nice if we could show a pulse in that sport instead of getting slaughtered.
This exactly. UConn isn't out of the Big 12 because of losing 50-7 to Maryland. UConn is out of the Big 12 because the majority of the Big 12 doesn't want us and the ones on the fence said "lol" after we hyped up our football NIL only to lose by 6 TDs to the Big Ten's preseason #11.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Because that P4 (or Px) will be the haves and will dictate sports and media contracts. They will force the acceptance of New Coke, and those not part of the haves will be relegated to the likes of being RC cola...yes it has fans, but it's not the de facto leader and is more of an afterthought. We don't want UConn to be an afterthought. I like the Big East, I do, but nostalgia cannot override financial security or national relevance.
The p4 are already the haves and dictate sports and media contracts have been for over 2 decades.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cutting football completely and the corresponding women's Title IX scholarships has to be something that's seriously talked about. Waiting around for years hoping the Big 12 takes us or until the ACC breaks up and hoping we get a life raft with the other undesirables isn't a plan.

It would free up a tremendous amount of money for basketball.

And basketball will still be frozen out of the future national championships. It has nothing to do with money. The P4 are going to create their own tourney and UConn won't be invited.
And the rest of the country won't care.
The northeast is a dy8ng section of the country compared to the rest of the regions, the NYC media no longer drives national narratives and the decision makers are all in different parts of the country.
It's P4 or die for UConn.

Reaction Score
If my numbers are accurate, the P4 had 31 teams in the NCAA Tournament. And that didn't even include some very strong basketball programs including Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati, WVU, Utah, Arkansas, LSU, Oklahoma, Vandy, Notre Dame, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA, USC, Washington. We all appreciate the current Big Dance but they could have their own tournament and it could actually be a stronger field.

They could split off and not worry about at all of the single bid conferences. They probably wouldn't worry too much about the MWC or Big East either. I think the Big East needs to be very worried. Just look at the size of the fan bases of those programs who didn't even make it in 2024.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
I would have liked for UConn to join the Big 12 from a financial perspective in the intermediate term. That said, 5-10 years out it isn’t going to matter. You’ll have two super conferences with 20-25 teams each and the rest of the schools eating scraps. Sad reality of where college sports are heading. With basketball, we should still be able to be relatively competitive. Football - not so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom