Big 12 considering adding two teams | The Boneyard

Big 12 considering adding two teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since the Big 12 was left out of the college football playoffs (Baylor and TCU), the conference is considering adding two teams to qualify for a waiver from NCAA in order to play a conference championship game. Link

I don't know much about college football, but what two teams would they probably target and might that open up a possibility for UConn to join a major conference?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The Big 12 screwed the pooch by not recognizing a tiebreaker of some sort, instead electing to recognize "co" champions.

Not your question. I know.....

Reaction Score
Since the Big 12 was left out of the college football playoffs (Baylor and TCU), the conference is considering adding two teams to qualify for a waiver from NCAA in order to play a conference championship game. Link

I don't know much about college football, but what two teams would they probably target and might that open up a possibility for UConn to join a major conference?

I think SMU and Houston could be considered. I don't know about UCONN, kinda far removed from most schools presently in the conference.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
This has been a huge discussion of this on the CR board.

Doesn't surprise me. I think the big12 wants more teams. I "could" see some eastern teams as they already have WVU.

Reaction Score

Since it is all about football, no matter what they say, the Big 12 will never even consider UConn. Stop dreaming!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Since it is all about football, no matter what they say, the Big 12 will never even consider UConn. Stop dreaming!
Because SMU and Houston have had such a powerhouse football program in the past 10 years compared to UCONN?

Reaction Score
Because SMU and Houston have had such a powerhouse football program in the past 10 years compared to UCONN?

Simply because of location, plus they aren't likely to knock off any of the big time teams. The question was what two teams would they probably target and I thought the two I mentioned could be considered. I'm sure there are others like the Utah schools, etc. Knowing how many schools are looking to change conferences would help. SDSU maybe?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Two of the schools mentioned are Cincy and Memphis.

Reaction Score

They would not consider Houston either, but I am pretty sure that the UH football program has been way better than the UConn program in terms of win-loss, bow appearances, players drafted, etc.... They just don't have the fan base support to be considered by the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Not gonna be UConn. Our football program is not a winning program. It's all about football & $.
No matter.

Reaction Score
If they do anything g it would be Cincinnati and somebody else. definitely not SMU.

But I doubt there is much smoke here. Baylor and TCU, neither if which carry much weight, are the unhappy schools. You'd need Texas or Oklahoma to push thus, which I don't see.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

You guys have got to get in a major conference. At some point, the AAC is going to cost you some recruits in men's and women's basketball, especially after Geno retires. I'm sure it's already costing you a boatload of lost revenue. I know there is a lot of wealth in Connecticut, but TV many in the P5 conferences is stout.

Reaction Score
Women's bball doesn't fill 70,000 people areanas or stadiums. UConn is kinda a niche school with it's bball programs (and others not football). Besides, I don't think it's costing us recruits. UConn is a good school in a very nice location (well kinds remote). It even has it's own dairy bar. Besides, we generate the most revenue of any other women's bball programs. As long as the fans in CT enjoy this sport it will be well funded.

Reaction Score
If they do anything g it would be Cincinnati and somebody else. definitely not SMU.

But I doubt there is much smoke here. Baylor and TCU, neither if which carry much weight, are the unhappy schools. You'd need Texas or Oklahoma to push thus, which I don't see.
If Texas and Oklahoma had the records that Baylor and TCU had, one or both of them would've made the playoffs.

Reaction Score
You guys have got to get in a major conference. At some point, the AAC is going to cost you some recruits in men's and women's basketball, especially after Geno retires. I'm sure it's already costing you a boatload of lost revenue. I know there is a lot of wealth in Connecticut, but TV many in the P5 conferences is stout.

It already has cost us recruits on the men's side and honestly if they are unable to get into a P5 soon then UConn being the Basketball Capital of the World will be little more than a memory.

Reaction Score
If Texas and Oklahoma had the records that Baylor and TCU had, one or both of them would've made the playoffs.
That is correct. Oklahoma and Texas played harder schedules - SOS's ranked #12 & 13 respectively, higher than Baylor's and TCU's.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Big 12 expansion talk has been going on for a while. The coaches all want a two-division, championship game setup like the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10 and ACC. Either 12 or 14 teams. Teams under consideration include Cincy, Memphis, BYU, Colorado State and a couple others. West Virginia would like to see Cincy added. The others make sense, more or less, geographically. Some think a Florida school should be considered, just for recruiting purposes. You have to remember that Texas and Oklahoma call the shots in this conference (which is why Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado and A&M left). Had THEY been the #5 and #6 teams instead of Baylor and TCU the league would have done a lot more to support their efforts. But since both Texas and OK expect to be back in the picture in future years, you can bet something will get done -- they'll put Texas and OK in separate divisions and add some easy wins to both. Very slim chance that they'll lure anybody from another Power 5 Conference, so no help there for UConn.
UConn deserves to be in the spot they're in conference-wise. Some bad decisions, foolish gambles, clumsy lobbying and politicking, and a disastrous hiring are the factors that have them on the outside looking in. Hopefully they've learned their lesson and will concentrate their efforts on building up and successfully competing in the conference they're in -- admittedly a huge challenge, especially if the Big 12 grabs two or more of the best teams -- instead of pathetically trying to woo a spot in another conference when -- in reality -- all the spots are taken.
Even if they weren't, or if somehow a spot opens up, there'll be a lot more attractive options than UConn, no matter how many basketball and field hockey championships they win. The damage their former coach did to the football program has been catastrophic... and the fact that he had done the same thing to the program at Syracuse and that not a single person who really knew anything about college football thought he was the right guy for the UConn job makes his hiring unforgivable.
But, as Carl Sandburg liked to say, "The past is a bucket of ashes." Time for UConn to pick up the pieces and move on.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Simply because of location, plus they aren't likely to knock off any of the big time teams. The question was what two teams would they probably target and I thought the two I mentioned could be considered. I'm sure there are others like the Utah schools, etc. Knowing how many schools are looking to change conferences would help. SDSU maybe?
But those two teams do anything to expand market share on TV which is as important as the playoff for the future of any conference.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Colorado State has raised its profile this year with a 10-win season, and geographically they make sense.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati would be more likely than Col St or Boise simply because of West Virginia. The 'Eers have been whining about the travel to the rest of the conference. And it would also make it easier for teams to travel to WV if they could play another team on the way.

Boise is quite far in the other direction and would expand the conference footprint even more, which I would think unlikely right now.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Cincinnati would be more likely than Col St or Boise simply because of West Virginia. The 'Eers have been whining about the travel to the rest of the conference. And it would also make it easier for teams to travel to WV if they could play another team on the way.

Boise is quite far in the other direction and would expand the conference footprint even more, which I would think unlikely right now.

You may be right, but I notice that conferences lately have not been reluctant to add far flung members. We go to Florida & Texas. The Pac12 thinks Utah & Colorado are on the ocean. Tex A&M makes a strange southeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom