Big 12 considering adding two teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 considering adding two teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since the Big 12 was left out of the college football playoffs (Baylor and TCU), the conference is considering adding two teams to qualify for a waiver from NCAA in order to play a conference championship game. Link

I don't know much about college football, but what two teams would they probably target and might that open up a possibility for UConn to join a major conference?
I did post something similar to this on one of the other boards. Yes, it's about football, but it's also about TV market share. Houston is a big market, and for that matter New Haven Hartford Springfield market is top 25, not to mention Uconn's draw in the New York City market and our proximity to ESPN. Rutgers did not get invited to the Big 10 because they are a great sports program, but because it forced the NYC TV market to carry the Big 10 network. I do think Uconn is a bit far away from those schools to get an invite, but The Big 10 now has an office in NYC. Uconn should get a look if and when the P5 schools consider expanding to 16.
As far as on the field goes it would be expected that joining a P5 conference would instantly increase the talent level and we would be competitive just as we were when the Big East a big deal. Because it is in the middle of the country if the Big 12 took Uconn and a team out west (if there is one worthy of it) it could have a national reach nobody else would have, but I still doubt they will.
Uconn's biggest problem is NOT the quality of the football team, it is the size of the stadium (I do not think any P5 school has less then 50,000 seat stadium. Uconn MUST join a power conference to stay relevant, and so It should announce today they plan to expand to 60,000 plus seats in order to be more attractive. I know people will say we can't fill up The Rent now. Using the Big 12 as an example, if Texas, OK, OK State, came here between their fans (which travel in great numbers) and our fans (who would come out to see these schools like we did when Michigan or Louisville came here this would not be a problem. People here are not showing up for East Carolina, Temple, or SMU. "If you build it they will come" with an invitation in hand.

Reaction Score
Since the Big 12 was left out of the college football playoffs (Baylor and TCU), the conference is considering adding two teams to qualify for a waiver from NCAA in order to play a conference championship game. Link

I don't know much about college football, but what two teams would they probably target and might that open up a possibility for UConn to join a major conference?
I did post something similar to this on one of the other boards. Yes, it's about football, but it's also about TV market share. Houston is a big market, and for that matter New Haven Hartford Springfield market is top 25, not to mention Uconn's draw in the New York City market and our proximity to ESPN. Rutgers did not get invited to the Big 10 because they are a great sports program, but because it forced the NYC TV market to carry the Big 10 network. I do think Uconn is a bit far away from those schools to get an invite, but The Big 10 now has an office in NYC. Uconn should get a look if and when the P5 schools consider expanding to 16.
As far as on the field goes it would be expected that joining a P5 conference would instantly increase the talent level and we would be competitive just as we were when the Big East a big deal. Because it is in the middle of the country if the Big 12 took Uconn and a team out west (if there is one worthy of it) it could have a national reach nobody else would have, but I still doubt they will.
Uconn's biggest problem is NOT the quality of the football team, it is the size of the stadium (I do not think any P5 school has less then 50,000 seat stadium. Uconn MUST join a power conference to stay relevant, and so It should announce today they plan to expand to 60,000 plus seats in order to be more attractive. I know people will say we can't fill up The Rent now. Using the Big 12 as an example, if Texas, OK, OK State, came here between their fans (which travel in great numbers) and our fans (who would come out to see these schools like we did when Michigan or Louisville came here this would not be a problem. People here are not showing up for East Carolina, Temple, or SMU. "If you build it they will come" with an invitation in hand.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati would be more likely than Col St or Boise simply because of West Virginia. The 'Eers have been whining about the travel to the rest of the conference. And it would also make it easier for teams to travel to WV if they could play another team on the way.

Boise is quite far in the other direction and would expand the conference footprint even more, which I would think unlikely right now.
Football teams don't play anyone 'on the way'. Their travel involves a whole bunch of people (conference travel roster size limits vary from ~64 to ~85 players, plus as many as 60 non-players - coaches & support staff). BB travel is just a handful.

Reaction Score
Football teams don't play anyone 'on the way'. Their travel involves a whole bunch of people (conference travel roster size limits vary from ~64 to ~85 players, plus as many as 60 non-players - coaches & support staff). BB travel is just a handful.

There are more sports besides FB and MCBB. And FB/MCBB presumably travel by charter anyway. But WCBB/baseball/softball/tennis/etc have a much tougher road, esp since their choices are drive to Pitt or take 1 of 3 daily flights to Dulles.

WV athletic director Oliver Luck has been on record commenting about the long travel times for all his teams, and seeking ways to reduce it. Having a conference mate nearer to WV would help with that.

Reaction Score
Uconn's biggest problem is NOT the quality of the football team, it is the size of the stadium (I do not think any P5 school has less then 50,000 seat stadium.

No. It's the quality of the FB team. And the lack of any recruiting base here. And the fact that the market is losing share to other parts of the ground which are growing faster.

Many P5 schools have <50k stadiums (BC, Wake F, Duke, TCU, Baylor, Northwestern, Wash St, Ore St, Utah, Vanderbilt).

If membership were contingent on stadium size, UConn would gladly agree in writing to expand with an invitation.

HGN

Reaction Score
I read today (Monday) that the Big 12 has put that idea on the back burner for now.

Reaction Score
I believe that both the Big 12 who has ten teams, and the Big 10 who, in fact, has twelve members should be excluded from participating in any college playoff what-so- ever until the can prove that they are capable of comprehending the basic mathematical principles of ten and beyond. They should , however, be permitted to utilize both their fingers and toes during such an endeavour.

Reaction Score

The Rent was built so that it can be expanded to about 60k. I assume UConn is selling that as part of their efforts to get into another conference.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
No. It's the quality of the FB team. And the lack of any recruiting base here. And the fact that the market is losing share to other parts of the ground which are growing faster.

Many P5 schools have <50k stadiums (BC, Wake F, Duke, TCU, Baylor, Northwestern, Wash St, Ore St, Utah, Vanderbilt).

If membership were contingent on stadium size, UConn would gladly agree in writing to expand with an invitation.

Another losing strategy. Look at the last three teams to leave the Big East/AAC. Each one of them invested in themselves by upgrading/expanding their stadiums (Cinci, Louisville, Rutgers). Instead, we are worried about a soccer field, hockey arena and softball field. The priorities in the AD's office (and posts like this where we compare ourselves to those ALREADY in the club) are so far out of whack right now it really makes you wonder why we continue to employ them.

How long do UConn Men's and Women's basketball last now, when our conference slate includes Tulsa, Tulane, ECU and God knows what Cinci/Memphis backfill.

Reaction Score
Another losing strategy.

Since I proposed no strategy in my post, I have no idea what you're referring to.

I merely stated that current stadium size is not what's keeping UConn out of P5 conference.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
images.jpg

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Today's Orlando Sentinel reports that the UCF coach, on the heels of the AAC championship, is campaigning for Big 12 membership.
He doesn't seem to worry about far-flung travel, as he must already do that as an AAC member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom