Big 12 Conference Tournament: | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Conference Tournament:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I do love a harmless conspiracy. :D But it's hard to get behind this one when Oklahoma is also defecting and defecting and they had two 1st team selections.
Except the other Big 12 schools don't blame OU; they only blame Texas for the move to the SEC. It's always Texas' fault (don't you know?) ! :p

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The article most likely would not have been written if the author was a Texas fan. I like ISU, but have pointed out several times they get owned by physical and athletic teams. Unless there's a movement to restrict hand-checking Fennelly needs to recruit a different player than he's used to.

I'm old, but back when I played fouls were called when the defensive player put ONE hand on their opponent. You could still 'body up' on someone within reason without being whistled. Really wish they'd go back to that strategy...still rewarded more athletic teams but made calling fouls a more objective process.

ISU powered through this 'disadvantage' pretty well for the 1st time in Big 12 Tourney vs Texas...made it to OT instead of losing by 20. Looks like Bill is teaching his finesse team to adjust.

Reaction Score
The article most likely would not have been written if the author was a Texas fan. I like ISU, but have pointed out several times they get owned by physical and athletic teams. Unless there's a movement to restrict hand-checking Fennelly needs to recruit a different player than he's used to.

I'm old, but back when I played fouls were called when the defensive player put ONE hand on their opponent. You could still 'body up' on someone within reason without being whistled. Really wish they'd go back to that strategy...still rewarded more athletic teams but made calling fouls a more objective process.

ISU powered through this 'disadvantage' pretty well for the 1st time in Big 12 Tourney vs Texas...made it to OT instead of losing by 20. Looks like Bill is teaching his finesse team to adjust.
He should have been doing this a long time ago if you ask me. I don't understand how a coach thinks a team can go deep into the tournament without having some toughness.

How does he expect his team to compete against the likes of Maryland, Louisville, Stanford, South Carolina etc.? Sure, they have skilled players but they also can be physical when they need to be. He's supposed to be the "Dean" of the BIG 12. It's the reality of the game.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

That's not why the game last weekend was closer than the first two, IMO. Texas didn't play as well defensively as they allowed ISU to go 11-21 from 3-point range.

In Austin, Cyclones were 4-12 from 3-point range. In Ames, Cyclones were only 5-16 (without Ashley Joens).

Really, so many of the Big 12 teams play zone defense (except for Baylor, WVU, and Texas). That's what Fennelly would prefer game in and game out as his team has several good long-range shooters. When a defense (especially man-to-man) can limit the amount of 3-point shots ISU launches, that takes away their biggest offensive advantage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom