Big 12 Conference Tournament: | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Conference Tournament:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Very competitive game between Texas and ISU. Probably the most active on the boards I've seen ISU this season. Holding Ebo for 0 in the first half was impressive too.

Wonder how Texas will come out tomorrow. Not sure if they expected this much of a fight from the Cyclones today.
Vic knows how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in the same season. We did it two days in a row against KSU and ISU. And, Vic did it last season against ISU. Vic now 6-0 against Fennelly after two seasons at Texas.

Reaction Score
Rori Harmon with a career high 30 points. She and Ebo did all the heavy lifting for Texas in the second half.

What happened to Aaliyah Moore and Kendyll Hunter? Both injured?
I assumed Moore was sidelined with an injury for a portion of the season. She would be on the bench but not dressed to play. No insight on Hunter.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
At least she does not loudly cuss, swing her arms at ref and basically act like a crazy woman like Mulkey.
I like that fire!
Happy Lets Go GIF by LSU Tigers

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score

In the first half Iowa State had Emily Ryan inbounding the ball to either Joens and/or Kane/Jordao who would then pass it right back to Ryan to dribble it up the court. But for some reason coming out of halftime ISU had Joens trying to inbound to Ryan and Kane instead. Bet the coaches regret trying to make that change. Immediately after these turnovers ISU called a timeout and switched up the inbound strategy yet again, putting all 5 players on the baseline.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Against Iowa State, Texas has a significant advantage in post play.

But Texas simply has no answer for NaLyssa Smith. She scored 25 and 28 in the previous two meetings, and they didn't have enough offense to counteract that.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Regarding Kim Mulkey and Karen Aston, I still don't know (after all these years) for certain what the grudge is about.

For those who don't know, Karen Aston was an assistant coach hired by Jody Conradt in the early 2000's, and she really helped turn Texas' recruiting around. Those players helped Texas get to the Final Four in 2003, and the recruiting was going well. But, then Aston left to be an assistant coach under Mulkey at Baylor in 2006. The supposed reason for leaving was that she asked Texas admin if she would be considered to succeed Jody Conradt upon her retirement, and she was told no because she had no collegiate head coaching experience.

Several years later, after Coach Goestenkors resigned at Texas, Karen Aston was hired away from UNC-Charlotte. She soon pulled off a great recruiting coup landing a verbal commitment from Ariel Atkins from Duncanville. Aston also offered Atkins' best friend at Duncanville, Tasia Foman (was not very highly regarded by the recruiting rankings). It seemed to be a "package deal". We'd later hear quotes from them that playing together in college was a big reason why they chose Texas. It didn't appear that Mulkey had offered Foman, only Atkins. So, that's what I think irked Mulkey.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
For those who don't know, Karen Aston was an assistant coach hired by Jody Conradt in the early 2000's, and she really helped turn Texas' recruiting around. Those players helped Texas get to the Final Four in 2003, and the recruiting was going well. But, then Aston left to be an assistant coach under Mulkey at Baylor in 2006. The supposed reason for leaving was that she asked Texas admin if she would be considered to succeed Jody Conradt upon her retirement, and she was told no because she had no collegiate head coaching experience.
I never cared much for Aston. She came across as arrogant and uncaring. My opinion turned to downright hatred and loathing after NC State lost to Texas, 84-80, in the second round of the 2017 NCAAT. There was a controversial charging call on NC State very late in that game that ultimately led to Texas advancing to the Sweet 16. Aston, in her typical manner, seemed to gloat over that call in her post-game press conference.

I was glad when her fortunes turned downward after that, ultimately leading to her being replaced at Texas. I don't know where she is now, and that's just the way I like it.

Good riddance!

Reaction Score
Regarding Kim Mulkey and Karen Aston, I still don't know (after all these years) for certain what the grudge is about.

Several years later, after Coach Goestenkors resigned at Texas, Karen Aston was hired away from UNC-Charlotte. She soon pulled off a great recruiting coup landing a verbal commitment from Ariel Atkins from Duncanville. Aston also offered Atkins' best friend at Duncanville, Tasia Foman (was not very highly regarded by the recruiting rankings). It seemed to be a "package deal". We'd later hear quotes from them that playing together in college was a big reason why they chose Texas. It didn't appear that Mulkey had offered Foman, only Atkins. So, that's what I think irked Mulkey.
I don't think its so much as they don't like each other personally other than just coaches who are highly competitive. We confuse the two at times.

One coach I know Kim could not stand (as a coach and personally) was Pokey Chatman. There was much more off beef between the two behind the scenes than most know. I think it had to do with Pokey's recruitment of some Texas players (wasn't exactly "clean" to say the least) but there were exchanges in person that were not pretty.

Reaction Score
I don't think its so much as they don't like each other personally other than just coaches who are highly competitive. We confuse the two at times.

One coach I know Kim could not stand (as a coach and personally) was Pokey Chatman. There was much more off beef between the two behind the scenes than most know. I think it had to do with Pokey's recruitment of some Texas players (wasn't exactly "clean" to say the least) but there were exchanges in person that were not pretty.
The Allison Hightower recruitment became very public and nasty

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Right now Baylor is showing their weakness when marking their guards on the perimeter, not having a dominant post, and their overall lack of team speed.

JordyG

Reaction Score
It would also be nice if Baylor had more athleticism up front and if they could contain Texas' guards off the bounce.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Smith now on the treadmill. They need her to even have a chance in the tournament. The Texas guards are too quick for the slow Baylor guards, and Ebo seems to get whatever she wants inside.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Great showing by Texas. Vic Schaefer isn't on anyone's radar for NCOY but he should be in the mix...Texas was preseason #25 and they'll now be a 2 seed, Big 12 Conference Champs and have a slew of very strong wins over Stanford, Baylor, and Iowa State 3x.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Super happy for Texas. Rori Harmon will have a great future at Texas and is a very humble young lady. Interesting watching Smith in the fist half. Seemed like the only thing injured was her ego.

Reaction Score
Super happy for Texas. Rori Harmon will have a great future at Texas and is a very humble young lady. Interesting watching Smith in the fist half. Seemed like the only thing injured was her ego.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. Her third foul was an awkward collision with Harmon.

If that knee got hyperextended due to contact, it's nothing to snark at. I've unfortunately suffered a similar injury and wasn't that lucky.

Being able to play the second half was a good sign. Bruised ego or not, seeing her back on the court is big for Baylor at this point of the season.

Reaction Score
Really was not expecting Texas to win this one. But that 2nd quarter run by Texas put the game out of reach for Baylor. They could never get closer that 7 or 8 points.

Aaliyah Moore's performance was a large factor I believe. She plugged the scoring gap when Ebo and Gaston sat during the first half. If I heard correctly, she hadn't scored a point in this tournament until today.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Aaliyah Moore's performance was a large factor I believe. She plugged the scoring gap when Ebo and Gaston sat during the first half. If I heard correctly, she hadn't scored a point in this tournament until today.
True statement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom