Big 12 Conference Tournament: | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Conference Tournament:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
First conference Big 12 conference tournament for Texas since the Final Four season in 2003. Feels good for so many reasons.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah Moore's performance was a large factor I believe. She plugged the scoring gap when Ebo and Gaston sat during the first half. If I heard correctly, she hadn't scored a point in this tournament until today.
Classic Vic Schaefer. It is not unusual for him to have a random player come out of the blue and do well.

Reaction Score
I've been critical all year of the Twister Sisters' ability to stand up to physical teams. They didn't win vs Texas in the semis but they did finally answer the bell. Respect to them and good luck in March Madness.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I've been critical all year of the Twister Sisters' ability to stand up to physical teams. They didn't win vs Texas in the semis but they did finally answer the bell. Respect to them and good luck in March Madness.
ISU drawing Georgia as the #6 seed won't be easy in the round of 32. Great size inside, and quick, athletic guards for the Dawgs.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Coach Schaefer finally secured a 'W' over the Baylor Bears. Good for him and The Longhorns. The Big 12 Tournament Champions.

Reaction Score
Classic Vic Schaefer. It is not unusual for him to have a random player come out of the blue and do well.
Aaliyah Moore isn't a random player. Had been tagged as the pre-season freshman of the year at the start of the season. Hampered by an ankle injury per the commentators yesterday. If she's rounding into form, she could be a huge help if Ebo and Gaston get into foul trouble in spots.

The player we saw yesterday is the player I've expected to see when she got to the program. Big fan of her play since seeing her during the U16 FIBA tournament in 2019.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Moore and the other bench players helped to keep the starters fresh and enabled them to play shut down 'D' for 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah Moore isn't a random player. Had been tagged as the pre-season freshman of the year at the start of the season. Hampered by an ankle injury per the commentators yesterday. If she's rounding into form, she could be a huge help if Ebo and Gaston get into foul trouble in spots.

The player we saw yesterday is the player I've expected to see when she got to the program. Big fan of her play since seeing her during the U16 FIBA tournament in 2019.
To the extent it was taken as a slight to her ability that wasn’t the intent. It was about how it isn’t unusual for a player who previously had not played or produced much for a period of time, due to injury, not playing well, or whatever reason, to suddenly have a great game. He had multiple highly ranked players at Mississippi State where this situation happened.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I didn't realize the committee was releasing the bracket on Sunday evening instead of the typical Monday evening.

Wonder if the committee will actually factor in Sunday's championship result or just keep intact the bracket they have from prior to the game.

It's pretty much always been this way for the men's bracket, which has typically been released just mere hours after the end of conference tournament play. Supposedly they work up various contingency brackets in advance of the final results.

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious to me that the committee didn't factor in Texas win over Baylor whatsoever. I think they would have had the Big 12 tournament occurred last weekend along with most other conferences.

Seems like teams who shot up drastically due to winning their conference tourneys were Iowa, Kentucky, and Gonzaga. And, deservedly so. But, for Texas to only move up from #10 (last reveal) to #7 despite 2 NET Top 10 wins, and 4 total additional NET Q1 wins, indicates the bracket was finalized late Saturday or early Sunday morning.

Even in just comparing Baylor's body of work to that of Texas', I don't see any metric where Baylor was ahead (I'm sure I didn't view them all). Even the NET rankings don't appear to have been updated as I didn't see any movement since Friday (at least not in the Top 10).

Reaction Score
To the extent it was taken as a slight to her ability that wasn’t the intent. It was about how it isn’t unusual for a player who previously had not played or produced much for a period of time, due to injury, not playing well, or whatever reason, to suddenly have a great game. He had multiple highly ranked players at Mississippi State where this situation happened.
Appreciate the clarification, but I didn't take the random comment as a knock about her ability. My reply was more about the fact that the ceiling for Moore was considered to be pretty high before she suffered her injury.

I think she would have been a consistent contributor during the season if she hadn't suffered the injury. I'm looking forward to seeing her play in the tournament.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seems like teams who shot up drastically due to winning their conference tourneys were Iowa, Kentucky, and Gonzaga. And, deservedly so. But, for Texas to only move up from #10 (last reveal) to #7 despite 2 NET Top 10 wins, and 4 total additional NET Q1 wins, indicates the bracket was finalized late Saturday or early Sunday morning.
Again, you are muddling the actual committee ranking with the bracketing process that may have entailed deviations from the true S-curve. Texas very well could have moved up to #6 overall. In fact, I strongly suspect this is what happened.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Again, you are muddling the actual committee ranking with the bracketing process that may have entailed deviations from the true S-curve. Texas very well could have moved up to #6 overall. In fact, I strongly suspect this is what happened.
I don't think so.

If Texas was ranked #4 or 5 by the committee, no deviation from the S-curve would have been needed as they'd have been the highest ranked Big 12 team. Basically, they'd have Baylor's #5 overall seed.

If they were ranked #6 by the committee, no deviation from the S-curve would have been needed as seeding them opposite #3 NC State in Bridgeport would not have conflicted with any other Big 12 team. Although Oklahoma is the #4 seed in Bridgeport, they most likely were placed there to avoid being in the other 3 regions which already had a Big 12 team. OU was most likely #15 or #16 in the S-curve but got bumped up to #14.

What's done is done. Speculation is all we have right now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't think so.

If Texas was ranked #4 or 5 by the committee, no deviation from the S-curve would have been needed as they'd have been the highest ranked Big 12 team. Basically, they'd have Baylor's #5 overall seed.

If they were ranked #6 by the committee, no deviation from the S-curve would have been needed as seeding them opposite #3 NC State in Bridgeport would not have conflicted with any other Big 12 team. Although Oklahoma is the #4 seed in Bridgeport, they most likely were placed there to avoid being in the other 3 regions which already had a Big 12 team. OU was most likely #15 or #16 but got moved up in the S-curve to #14.

What's done is done. Speculation is all we have right now.
We know that Texas wasn't #4 or #5, obviously. If they were #4 they'd be the 1 seed in Wichita. If they were #5 they'd be the 2 seed in Wichita and Baylor would be elsewhere.

No deviation was necessary if Texas was #6, but that doesn't mean the committee didn't opt to do so. Just as in the previous reveal of Feb. 28, the committee opted to move some teams around on the 3 and 4 lines strictly for geographic reasons, not because they had to do so.

Also, OU was definitely stuck with whatever region Baylor, Texas and Iowa State weren't in. No choice there.

Reaction Score
I came across this article after the tournament. Is this fair or does it sound somewhat like sour grapes? I didn't think the BIG12 is more physical than conferences like the BIG10. Am I missing something?

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I came across this article after the tournament. Is this fair or does it sound somewhat like sour grapes? I didn't think the BIG12 is more physical than conferences like the BIG10. Am I missing something?

Iowa State coaches and media and fans spout this same talking point pretty much every time they play, and lose, to Texas or Baylor. Fennelly just clearly doesn't respect Schaefer's style.

Reaction Score
Iowa State coaches and media and fans spout this same talking point pretty much every time they play, and lose, to Texas or Baylor. Fennelly just clearly doesn't respect Schaefer's style.
Iowa St is a very good team but its evident what facing a team who is somewhat physical on the defensive end does to them. They aren't able to hit all those 3's with no hands in their faces. Texas at times is much more than just physical, that is Vic's style going back to when he was at State but physicality is part of the game. Baylor and Texas are the two most physically imposing teams in the Big 12, its no coincidence they got whooped around in those matchups minus the one game in the Big 12 tournament.

Did he make these same type of comments when Mulkey was at Baylor?

Reaction Score
Fennelly and Mulkey are good friends. I have heard him criticize the refs for allowing the hard play against Baylor, TX, and WV. But never directly call out the coaches

Reaction Score

Iowa St is a very good team but its evident what facing a team who is somewhat physical on the defensive end does to them. They aren't able to hit all those 3's with no hands in their faces. Texas at times is much more than just physical, that is Vic's style going back to when he was at State but physicality is part of the game. Baylor and Texas are the two most physically imposing teams in the Big 12, its no coincidence they got whooped around in those matchups minus the one game in the Big 12 tournament.

Did he make these same type of comments when Mulkey was at Baylor?

Fennelly and Mulkey are good friends. I have heard him criticize the refs for allowing the hard play against Baylor, TX, and WV. But never directly call out the coaches

And that's what has me perplexed. WV has been coached the same way for decades. Baylor has always been tough. Texas' style may have changed but this is how it is in the conference.

From what we've seen over the years, teams can be both tough physically and play an outside shooting game. I don't understand how adjusting isn't an option. And if ISU players are expecting to go pro, how are they going to be prepared??? (rheortical)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Of course it's sour grapes by the author! Why wait until the season is almost over, and after a third ISU loss to Texas in 2022, to write about this topic? The first 2 losses were by about 20 points each; at least this last loss was by 9 points in OT.

This all started by ESPN's Michele Voepel asking Fennelly a question after the loss to Texas on Saturday about "Freedom of movement". I like Voepel, but she does have a bias toward the Kansas and Iowa schools in the Big 12 (as lives in KC, I believe).

Fennnelly made it sound like he's been upset about this and talking about it for many years, but I've never seen it referenced until Saturday. Perhaps I just missed it.

The author writes: Every basketball game turning into a back alley brawl is not good for the game of basketball. It makes games harder to watch and less exciting. Offenses can’t operate properly without trying to match that physicality then if they match that physicality, they’ll watch as the official exuberantly calls an offensive foul.

Get real! "Exuberantly" ? It's pretty much always gonna be an offensive foul if the quicker defensive player beats the slower ISU player to the spot and is set outside the circle under the basket.

The author writes: Teams like the Iowa State women — which I would describe as a finesse team — are the ones that suffer the consequences, and that is incredibly unfortunate because of how fun they are to watch. Somehow, this finesse team is the one that was called for 17 fouls after halftime despite being the less physical squad — by a considerable margin.

Any game in which ISU doesn't shoot more free throws than their opponent is most likely gonna be a loss. This "finesse" team is also not very athletic. The reason they had so many fouls is they don't have the lateral quickness to keep up with Rori Harmon (shot 9-9 FT's), and the physical strength to rebound against teams with big inside post players. Pat Summitt (R.I.P.) and her physically strong rebounding Lady Vols teams of the past would chew up these finesse Fennelly teams and spit them out as if it were second nature.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Fennelly is now 0-6 against Schaefer in his first two seasons at Texas. Both losses in the Big 12 tourneys have come when ISU was the higher seeded team. Whether he respects the style or not, there's no question who's had the better combination of coaching and player execution after the past 2 seasons.

Somehow, ISU had 3 players on the Big 12 First Team, and Texas had zero. And, somehow, ISU's Lexi Donarski was voted Big 12 Defensive POY despite not being in the Top 25 in any defensive stats like rebounding, blocked shots, or steals. Against Texas on Saturday, she had zero rebounds, zero blocks, and 2 steals. That's the DPOY?

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Fennelly is now 0-6 against Schaefer in his first two seasons at Texas. Both losses in the Big 12 tourneys have come when ISU was the higher seeded team. Whether he respects the style or not, there's no question who's had the better combination of coaching and player execution after the past 2 seasons.

Somehow, ISU had 3 players on the Big 12 First Team, and Texas had zero. And, somehow, ISU's Lexi Donarski was voted Big 12 Defensive POY despite not being in the Top 25 in any defensive stats like rebounding, blocked shots, or steals. Against Texas on Saturday, she had zero rebounds, zero blocks, and 2 steals. That's the DPOY?
I agree it's ridiculous that Texas didn't have a player on first team. Like it or not, all-conference awards tend to reward scoring more than defense, and Iowa State scores well. And then, like you said, when it comes to the DPOY and All-Defensive team, I find myself confused more often than not. I'd love to see the ballots to see who exactly voted for Donarski. It's voted on by the coaches (and not the media) which I find even more baffling. Maybe Texas as a team had so many good candidates for the award that they split the vote.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I agree it's ridiculous that Texas didn't have a player on first team. Like it or not, all-conference awards tend to reward scoring more than defense, and Iowa State scores well. And then, like you said, when it comes to the DPOY and All-Defensive team, I find myself confused more often than not. I'd love to see the ballots to see who exactly voted for Donarski. It's voted on by the coaches (and not the media) which I find even more baffling. Maybe Texas as a team had so many good candidates for the award that they split the vote.
That's possible. Most Texas fans believe our announced defection to the SEC played a role in those (lack of) votes.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
That's possible. Most Texas fans believe our announced defection to the SEC played a role in those (lack of) votes.
I do love a harmless conspiracy. :D But it's hard to get behind this one when Oklahoma is also defecting and they had two 1st team selections.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom