Big 12 “Looking to Plant A Flag In NYC” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 “Looking to Plant A Flag In NYC”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Half the people on here will hate me for this but we’re getting to a point where we need to decide whether to dump football. With Mora here I’m more confident that they can become relevant again in the next 5 years, but you can’t keep a program that tanks the athletic budget every year and underperforms. We keep football for now because it MIGHT give us better financial options soon. The one benefit of the Big East is these schools don’t have football so they aren’t going to get poached by other conferences. It makes the Big East an extremely stable place to be.

Reaction Score
Nicely said, but we are going to continue to play football and our football program will have to provide the money to run our basketball programs at a competitive level down the road. The Big East isn’t going to generate the money to compete for much longer. We’ve got to get a pay day.

Something I’ve been meaning to mention- Georgetown is reportedly paying Cooley close to $6,000,000. Georgetown is spending more than the conference pays them on the salary of ONE coach, who isn’t even that good. Georgetown has set a precedent within the conference for SEC stupid pay and for that, they got Ed freakin’ Cooley. The arms race is real. Something has to give for us to continue like this. If Ed’s worth 6m, what’s Danny worth if he makes the FF, 8m? Where is the money coming from? It won’t be from the Big East unless it starts paying 12m/year, and it won’t.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If they add us with Nova/Georgetown/St John’s, they’re basically taking all the relevant Big East programs anyways. The basketball conference would be the best in a landslide, and football/baseball would be saved. It’s a no brainer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It would not help basketball. It would significantly affect our recruiting footprint. The kids we're bringing in, for the most part, want to play in the Big East. The Big 12 is a great league, there's no question, but we're not a cultural fit like we are here in the Big East. The level of competition would probably remain the same if not improve, that's for sure, but that's not the only consideration.

The Big 12 has already had its two best programs jump ship. Doesn't that concern you about their long-term viability?

Lastly, every single team that has left the Big East over the last decade plus has had their basketball program fall off significantly. The ACC was supposed to be the best basketball conference in history when Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville went there; all three of those programs has had a major decline.
I don't think the Big East is a draw for recruits any more than the Big 12 would be. We may confuse wanting to play in a good league with wanting to play in this league. UConn in any P5 league other than the Pac, would be fine.

As for the fall off. Louisville did fine while Pitino was there. They had to replace him. Mack has been a failure. Syracuse went to the tournament every year but one where it was eligible until 2021-22. The decline is due to Boeheim staying way past his sell by date. A final 4 and two sweet 16s. Pitt was fine until Dixon left. Stallings was awful. Capel may have figured it out, we will see. Miami has actually been better in the ACC, again, I think it's the coaching changes. BC sucked in both leagues.

Not worried about the stability. OU and UT were the top names in football, but TCU played in the football title game and KU won a NC last year. Baylor won two years ago. Long term, it's a better spot than the Big East.

Reaction Score
Pass. Moving from the Big East is going to weaken the basketball program. It makes sense to do it for the Big Ten, and possibly the ACC, but not the Big Twelve.
UConn can’t say no to big 12 money. But I would prefer not there.

Hope they don’t ask. Lol.

Reaction Score
It would not help basketball. It would significantly affect our recruiting footprint. The kids we're bringing in, for the most part, want to play in the Big East. The Big 12 is a great league, there's no question, but we're not a cultural fit like we are here in the Big East. The level of competition would probably remain the same if not improve, that's for sure, but that's not the only consideration.

The Big 12 has already had its two best programs jump ship. Doesn't that concern you about their long-term viability?

Lastly, every single team that has left the Big East over the last decade plus has had their basketball program fall off significantly. The ACC was supposed to be the best basketball conference in history when Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville went there; all three of those programs has had a major decline.
concepts like footprints and geography are 2003 considerations.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
big 12 is on top of the world rn

leave that lil regional conference of dweebs and dorks behind

if you know what's good for you, ill c u friends soon.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The big east is the best place for our basketball
Yeah yeah but the school has to look at finances and staying in the NBE helps one team immensely and that is men’s basketball. Yes it’s an upgrade for men’s and women soccer but anything was better than the ACC. Geno would win anywhere. The NBE has hurt baseball.
Being a state school in a state where money is tossed at anything socially correct and coins are counted at the state university system, UConn has to get into a place where it can make the most revenue possible in athletics. Only football and basketball can do that at this point. Mora has his program pointed in the right direction but it may take almost 3 seasons to get P5 competitive on a consistent basis. Will any P5 play the come on in and we will gamble on football? With the movement of schools in the coming 2 years, maybe. But not better than 50/50 chance. The PAC12 and Big12 make zero sense in terms of traveling costs. UConn basketball - men’s and women’s- is the strength of the university but the P5s are football first.
Finances has to take precedence now and that starts with the AD and coaches realizing salary freezes in the short term is a good start in exchange for a healthier bottom line and bigger coming soon.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
big 12 is on top of the world rn

leave that lil regional conference of dweebs and dorks behind

if you know what's good for you, ill c u friends soon.
You may have to beat teams like Utah Valley before trying to peak out of the cellar in the B12

Reaction Score
Pass. Moving from the Big East is going to weaken the basketball program. It makes sense to do it for the Big Ten, and possibly the ACC, but not the Big Twelve.
Umm the Big12 doesn’t weaken basketball with Kansas, Baylor, KState, etc…. Plus there are are about 35 Million reasons why it makes sense.

xclamations

Best nicknamer, moniker giver
Reaction Score
IF they poached uconn/ nova/ gt/ st john's...
essentially destroying the Big East,
then I'd go for that. Just put the conference tourney in MSG and were golden.

Reaction Score
That would be awful.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

As did ours in the AAC

Reaction Score
I'm more of a football fan, but I can't agree with this more. With Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 is going to suffer greatly with TV revenue and recruiting. The closest team for UConn would be WV and that's still a haul. Big 10 and ACC are the only conferences that make financial sense for UConn to move to on a permanent basis.

And Cincinnati, plus add in previous conference mates in Houston and UCF.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Half the people on here will hate me for this but we’re getting to a point where we need to decide whether to dump football. With Mora here I’m more confident that they can become relevant again in the next 5 years, but you can’t keep a program that tanks the athletic budget every year and underperforms. We keep football for now because it MIGHT give us better financial options soon. The one benefit of the Big East is these schools don’t have football so they aren’t going to get poached by other conferences. It makes the Big East an extremely stable place to be.

Lol.

Hate is a strong word. Clueless is kinder and more appropriate.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: No P5 conference is going to add schools that don't play football. The old Big East collapsed for a reason. I'd prefer the ACC, but if the Big XII offers, we need to take it (they won't).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While we are on the NYC subject, I just received an extremely surprising email from Madison Square Garden.

Evidently there are still ticket packages available for the east regional finals.

This tells me that the NCAA will hold regionals at MSG even less often than they currently do (perhaps never again).

Well, it was awesome in 2014 but without us,......

Reaction Score
I would jump to go there..... Besides the football teams, look at the basketball--unless I am wrong, I believe 8 teams got in march madness.

We would bring in more money !

Reaction Score
I don't know about planting a flag, but if the Big 12 wants to pitch a tent, I'm sure Pitino is all in.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
While we are on the NYC subject, I just received an extremely surprising email from Madison Square Garden.

Evidently there are still ticket packages available for the east regional finals.

This tells me that the NCAA will hold regionals at MSG even less often than they currently do (perhaps never again).

It's in Boston next year. Newark the year after. Then DC the next year.

Reaction Score

The East Region was known to be the weakest of the 4 regions this year based on how the the committee made the bracket.

That then played out that the weakest of the strong teams in said region lost to higher seeds (Purdue, Memphis, Marquette) and the big brands lost in 2nd round (Kentucky & Duke). Plus that no teams were good in northeast except UConn that got shipped to Las Vegas for 0 reason.

It was the perfect storm of things the NCAA could and couldn't control coming together. Has nothing to do with MSG.

Reaction Score

The East region stinks, has nothing to do with NYC.

Doesn't mean the games won't be good.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I understand that. I have however seen enough 8n .t lifetime to realize the possibility of the NCAA not fully realizing the cause of the issue and pulling the plug on future opportunities.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t love it, from a fan’s perspective, but from a long-term financial stability perspective, I don’t think we could say no if full membership was offered. On the other hand, I have a lot of hesitancy about the proposed basketball only addition with St. John’s Nova and Georgetown that is getting some Internet buzz.
Where can I find this rumor to read more about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom