Better Job: St Johns or UC?

Better Job?

• Queen City

Votes: 70 53.4%
  • Queens

Votes: 61 46.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
With two of our (cough) “rivals” having open HC positions; which is the better job, in the Boneyard’s humble opinion?

Reaction Score
It's funny you asked because there are Cinci fans who think they're gonna get bobby lol

Reaction Score
Wash. Cincinnati has had a better run of things I'd say overall the last few years. St John's to me is a sleeping giant, but I dunno- i've been saying that for 20 years and nothing's changed, so i'm probably just wrong.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
St John's, one school is in New York (Queens) the other is in Ohio...I don't think its that close. Also St. John's is in a better conference.

Reaction Score
Wash. Cincinnati has had a better run of things I'd say overall the last few years. St John's to me is a sleeping giant, but I dunno- i've been saying that for 20 years and nothing's changed, so i'm probably just wrong.
I agree. You could make a good argument for both sides. You will get more exposure at St Johns if you win because it is New York, its the Big East, and that still means something.

Reaction Score
SJU by the smallest of margins. Both programs have good history and semi-recent success on the national stage. NYC and the Big East tip the scale ever so slightly.

Reaction Score
I’d probably lean towards SJU but UC does have that brand new beautiful on campus arena

Reaction Score
SJU by a mile. The people that say Cincinnati are only saying that to bash the Big East.
By a mile? I think its equally hard to win at both and the success of the program is coach specific. Cronin worked in Cincy. Not sure the next coach will. This idea that SJU has appeal to any local recruit is comical. Kids play nationally now in high school and AAU and going to a commuter school in Queens to play on FoxSports2 Isn't all that great. St. John's is a crutch that recruits fall back on as a last resort. So to is Cincy. Otherwise, Cronin wouldn't have agreed to be UCLA's 12th choice.

Reaction Score
Pretty much a wash, but if I had to pick one, I think it's St. John's due to conference and playing at MSG. Also, I think there are currently lower expectations at St. John's. I feel like, expectations-wise, Cincinnati is probably going to be a tough gig. Over the last nine seasons, Cronin averaged 26 wins per year and made every NCAA tournament. So now, the new guy will not only have to sustain that success, but he'll need to make it beyond the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Given that Cincy wins year in and year out in football and basketball, I’d say they are in a great area to get players. On the surface, SJU is the more intriguing job because of MSG and NYC recruiting. However, Cincinnati seems to win come hell or high water and SJU hasn’t been great since Carnesecca.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
St. John's is probably a better gig. Recruit kids to play at MSG, the Big East, and expectations aren't that high. When St. John's is good, they get a lot of local media attention in NYC.

Cincinnati is a way better program, but I think the job is likely tougher.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not sure, but:

SJU has been a 'plumb' job forever. They haven't been good since then either. It's clearly not an easy place to win.

Multiple coaches have won at UC. Plenty of great midwest recruits out there.

Reaction Score
The ceiling at SJU is higher. It's a more desirable location to recruit, the media attention there is huge if you win, and you aren't overshadowed by other in-state schools.

agreee ceiling is higher....But you are a college team in a pro town. With a campus that really isn't all that. Their advantage was when they were allowed to give kids a stipend when there were no dorm rooms

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Not sure, but:

SJU has been a 'plumb' job forever. They haven't been good since then either. It's clearly not an easy place to win.

Multiple coaches have won at UC. Plenty of great midwest recruits out there.
'plumb' job???? Does that mean that it comes our of a sewer????

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
SJU should be a better job, but Cincy has out-performed them by a huge margin over the past 20+ years. So perhaps it's a bit easier to win there . . .

No, they had two very good - elite coaches. We'll see what they do when the get a regular coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom