Better Call Saul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Better Call Saul

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Wow, didn't catch that at all - did you notice that or read it somewhere?

I wonder if he's going to build a business starting kitty out of the Jimmy affiliation that helps him start his business!

Spoilers follow...

I knew Mike wouldn't do this petty theft, I just wished he'd explained why (risk v reward) to Jimmy vs saying it is not for me and then expressing sympathy over Chuck and telling Jimmy to take care of himself. Mike clearly could see the way for Jimmy to take care of himself is refrain from risky behavior that doesn't offer rewards commensurate with the risk.

With respect to Gale, Gus was always grooming him to be a cook. What happened was Walt was so talented that Gus had to hire Walt b/c his product was so much better. The error was initially letting Walt fire Gale and replace with Jessie and/or not immediately stealing Walt's recipe & technique and quickly dumping Walt.

Kim's breakdown after Jimmy's dispassionate reading of his brother's letter was really fascinating. I think she is grieving the loss of the brotherly relationship and unwittingly the loss of the redeemable qualities (hardworking, won't quit) that once best defined Jimmy.

I read it in a review.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, I'm re-watching Breaking Bad, to refresh my memory. My favorite line from Saul: When Walter White was looking for a major distributor, Saul replied, " I know a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy!" I love that line.

On Youtube, I found this parody:

Reaction Score
We are getting closer and closer to a show that resembles Breaking Bad. I'm enjoying the Mike, Gus & Nacho show, the Jimmy & Kim time is a tough watch. They are both now in an inexorable slide downward and we know Jimmy succumbs, only questions are does he look back with regret and does he take Kim into the sewer with him.
At some very soon point I'd be happier with parallel plots of Mike continuing in BetterCSaul time and Jimmy's story moving to the Cinnabon years.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have littlr Breaking Bad knowledge but the spoilers don't bother me.

Why did Kim drift off when looking at all the bank models?

Reaction Score

I think they are showing us that her blind ambition met its demise in the car crash, now she's re-assessing and looking for fulfillment of not just being a successful money making lawyer but having it mean something to her (remember she said she was inspired to become a lawyer by Atticus Finch).
Back to the bank models, she saw the work in pursuit of nothing but the almighty dollar amidst all the buildings, thus uninspired by the fabulous models she was numbed to meaningless and only sisyphean tasks. Lacking motivation she immediately farmed out her work and went to courthouse where they've now spelled out her plight.

Re Judge Lecture: I knew 3 seconds in, as soon as he said pregnant woman & nausea that it was the plot of The Verdict. Seen it way too many times!

Reaction Score
Re Judge Lecture: I knew 3 seconds in, as soon as he said pregnant woman & nausea that it was the plot of The Verdict. Seen it way too many times!

True story but while waiting to watch on Monday night I put on HBO GO to find something to watch and I picked The Verdict and watched for the first time. Finished that and put on BCS and when the judge started explaining the case I said jeez that sounds just like The Verdict.

Reaction Score
True story but while waiting to watch on Monday night I put on HBO GO to find something to watch and I picked The Verdict and watched for the first time. Finished that and put on BCS and when the judge started explaining the case I said jeez that sounds just like The Verdict.
I bet if AMC owned the rights they woulda ran The Verdict instead of Goodfellas just prior to Monday's BCS.

No way the verdict of The Verdict doesn't get over-turned on appeal. The jury did not rule on the admitted testimony/evidence! Plus nowadays Newman goes to jail as soon as he slugs the double-agent broad and we get the TV version of Buttermaker pleading for the plaintiff.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

My interpretation was that she worked like a dog on this Mesa Verde account, and she almost killed herself with the amount of time she was putting in. Now, they're talking about expanding more than they ever expected, and I think she realized that going down this path with Mesa might literally kill her. Maybe next time she doesn't get so lucky when she falls asleep at the wheel?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Kim's breakdown after Jimmy's dispassionate reading of his brother's letter was really fascinating. I think she is grieving the loss of the brotherly relationship and unwittingly the loss of the redeemable qualities (hardworking, won't quit) that once best defined Jimmy.

Was it just me? I got the feeling that Kim re-wrote Chuck's letter to still have his tone, but yet be more positive than what it probably actually said. My clues are: 1) her waiting to give the letter to Jimmy (she hid it at first), 2) Jimmy saying something along the lines of "sounds like something Chuck would say, 3) Kim's reaction after Jimmy read the letter - like she really saved him from even more getting even more grief from his brother.

Reaction Score
Was it just me? I got the feeling that Kim re-wrote Chuck's letter to still have his tone, but yet be more positive than what it probably actually said. My clues are: 1) her waiting to give the letter to Jimmy (she hid it at first), 2) Jimmy saying something along the lines of "sounds like something Chuck would say, 3) Kim's reaction after Jimmy read the letter - like she really saved him from even more getting even more grief from his brother.
I think its just you, Kim is willing to not say things, but she's not a liar generally. I think if they did that they would let us see a mean letter (no need we know Chuck's final feelings towards Jimmy) being re-written and destroyed. Kim would be even more exasperated and tried to do or say something if she'd gone thru the effort of trying to mollify Jimmy & only got that obvious emotionally detached reaction.

In terms of Chuck I think its reasonable that he wrote the letter Jimmy read a few years ago and didn't revise during the recent downward spiral. Chuck said everything he felt at that time to Jimmy's face and it was mostly performed though part of his collapse. Even though Chuck killed himself it was an emotional impulsive decision & quick descent, so I don't think he was revising everything about his estate (how does he even get the letter to Howard) and Chuck didn't need a 2nd parting shot to reiterate what he'd already said (if he's done with Jimmy as a brother why write anything at all?).

I'm really curious about the November phone call from the cold open. Is Gene/Saul/Jimmy calling to see if the heat is after him? What crimes could they actually have enough evidence to get him on? Thinking out loud, his name is likely on legal filings for Jesse (buying house) and Walt (buying car wash) but they also show Saul destroying all files/evidence. I assume his biggest crime is money laundering, does evidence come down to records Walt or Skylar kept?

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I'm really curious about the November phone call from the cold open. Is Gene/Saul/Jimmy calling to see if the heat is after him? What crimes could they actually have enough evidence to get him on? Thinking out loud, his name is likely on legal filings for Jesse (buying house) and Walt (buying car wash) but they also show Saul destroying all files/evidence. I assume his biggest crime is money laundering, does evidence come down to records Walt or Skylar kept?

I thought it was interesting that they had the "Saul at end of BB" flash forward, and yes the November phone call is something I'm curious about as well and likely something we can look forward to in the season finale when we are back with Gene (I think they've only been showing Gene in the season openers and finales, correct?).

I'm no attorney or criminal justice expert, but I would say they have enough evidence of something (likely money laundering, conspiracy, etc) to get a conviction of Saul.

Series finale (next season?) = Gene/Saul/Jimmy apologizing to/reconciling with Kim and then getting arrested for his BB crimes.

Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting that they had the "Saul at end of BB" flash forward, and yes the November phone call is something I'm curious about as well and likely something we can look forward to in the season finale when we are back with Gene (I think they've only been showing Gene in the season openers and finales, correct?).

I'm no attorney or criminal justice expert, but I would say they have enough evidence of something (likely money laundering, conspiracy, etc) to get a conviction of Saul.

Series finale (next season?) = Gene/Saul/Jimmy apologizing to/reconciling with Kim and then getting arrested for his BB crimes.
Yeah I've generally pined for that Kim reconciliation happy ending of sorts, but agree it has to come with repercussions for Jimmy & almost can't be happily ever after for the two of them. So mostly I'm rooting for Kim to get out of Dodge.

Not sure what ending best tells the full story of the Slippin' Jimmy to hard-workin' Jimmy thru abusive brother evolution to Saul. Jesse's (spoiler alert) 'heart of gold' got him a wide open highway in BBad, so maybe all the 'good at heart' Jimmy we've seen can yield a redemption for him? I think Gene would have to re-purpose his ill-gotten gains towards elder-care, psychological conditions or meth rehab to make amends. Or maybe he just figures out a way to use his scam & selling techniques for a good cause, nods to Kim across the room engaged in a similar altruistic venture and roll credits.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah I've generally pined for that Kim reconciliation happy ending of sorts, but agree it has to come with repercussions for Jimmy & almost can't be happily ever after for the two of them. So mostly I'm rooting for Kim to get out of Dodge.
Well it looks like (last night) Kim is trying to get out of Dodge. At least end the Wexler-McGill fantasy for Jimmy.

Reaction Score
Well it looks like (last night) Kim is trying to get out of Dodge. At least end the Wexler-McGill fantasy for Jimmy.
Yep, and she took a job with the firm that represents Sandpiper (originally Jimmy, now HH&M are on other side). Could be another day in court looming and if Jimmy does something Saul or Slippin' Jimmy-esque this will be the last of his intimate relationships to end in the courtroom.

Reaction Score
Great episode last night, was watching real time and very happy that it ran over 9-10 time slot. The twists with Nacho & Kim-Jimmy were great, I thought for sure it was going to be Hector in the taqueria, another Saltamacca makes things more interesting.

Jimmy had certainly done enough to drive Kim away but I like that they are giving her a choice and agency in whatever ultimately happens when he truly 'breaks bad'. In a way BCS is an exercise in undoing the mistakes they made with Skylar White via Kim.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The end of last week's episode telegraphed this week's twist with Kim. Once she called Jimmy and said she had a better way to save Huell, I knew she was headed for her "breaking bad" moment.

Reaction Score
That was a very good episode, but overall I'm not feeling the love for this season. A lot of pot stirring, no one's situation has truly changed.
I think the flip-flops by Kim are probably true to real life and maybe we know she's a good person deep down inside, so that means she's making relationship & professional mistakes that she'll ultimately regret? Either way its not happening until next season.
Nacho has been trapped by Gus all season & now between a rock & hard place, but unless his character leaves town or the show I don't see any season complete resolution coming.
New guy "Lalo" is great, I assume he'll do something this last episode.
Mike is in deeper with Gus, but I'd have been more interested in the hiring & training process of 'his guys' vs the German's superlab subplot. Too much, way too long at expense of Mike & Gus' relationship and ironically we are so busy looking at this structure we don't see how transportation and drug sale infrastructure is really being built.
Jimmy has clearly progressed into Saul, that's the only true character movement of the season yet its from the one guy who we know almost exactly where he's going. At least we are getting one scam per week which is what most originally thought the show would be.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
That was a very good episode, but overall I'm not feeling the love for this season. A lot of pot stirring, no one's situation has truly changed.
I think the flip-flops by Kim are probably true to real life and maybe we know she's a good person deep down inside, so that means she's making relationship & professional mistakes that she'll ultimately regret? Either way its not happening until next season.
Nacho has been trapped by Gus all season & now between a rock & hard place, but unless his character leaves town or the show I don't see any season complete resolution coming.
New guy "Lalo" is great, I assume he'll do something this last episode.
Mike is in deeper with Gus, but I'd have been more interested in the hiring & training process of 'his guys' vs the German's superlab subplot. Too much, way too long at expense of Mike & Gus' relationship and ironically we are so busy looking at this structure we don't see how transportation and drug sale infrastructure is really being built.
Jimmy has clearly progressed into Saul, that's the only true character movement of the season yet its from the one guy who we know almost exactly where he's going. At least we are getting one scam per week which is what most originally thought the show would be.
I had higher expectations for this season yet at the same time have enjoyed each episode.

I think Kim's turn was the most shocking to me and I welcome it.

I think we saw some foreshadowing on Nacho's future or at least where he plans to escape to. He may still be alive in Canada post breaking bad, but I think he ends up dead before the series is over.

I agree Lalo is great. Did you guys pick up on the reference to his name Breaking Bad? Saul's first episode - same time he mentioned "it wasn't me! it was ignacio (Nacho)!"

I think this where Mike learns there are no more half measures. Does he kill Werner?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like this season, but I have the same complaint I have with every AMC show: AMC's streaming sucks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's all good, man. Poor Kim.

And it looks like Mike is fully Mike now.

Reaction Score
It's all good, man. Poor Kim.

And it looks like Mike is fully Mike now.
That's a rough way to realize that everything is a con, but better than if they got married first. I think it is less interesting TV next season, but better that she realized that now vs when a scam blows up her spot with Mesa Verde, the new law firm or the bar. Have they mentioned a Mesa Verde location in Omaha? Crap - I just realized the season ended without revisiting Gene?! I guess that means I was entertained!

The entire German's bombing the super lab subplot was a waste. It literally just bought time. No way that Werner was that nervous, then tricks them and runs away just to see his wife but plans to come back. I thought the only plausible explanation was that he realized after the bar loose-lips slipup that they all were going to be buried in the basement in an industrial accident and he left b/c he feared he'd never see his wife again either way. So he takes the risk for a guaranteed one last rendezvous and thereafter is on the lamb hoping to stay one step ahead. Again Lalo was great though and a much needed new villain with Hector vegatated.

Also no Nacho update in finale?! They shoulda done a cliffhanger and had Lalo choose between tailing Mike and tailing a fleeing Nacho + Dad via the vacuum cleaner cleaner.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Also no Nacho update in finale?! They shoulda done a cliffhanger and had Lalo choose between tailing Mike and tailing a fleeing Nacho + Dad via the vacuum cleaner cleaner.

Something is going to happen between Lalo, Nacho, and Saul -- in Saul's first episode in Breaking Bad, he mentions Lalo and Ignacio (Nacho) by name when Jesse and Walt have him in the desert and he thinks they're hitmen. So I don't see Nacho's escape plan working, or at least not before some stuff goes down.

Reaction Score
Something is going to happen between Lalo, Nacho, and Saul -- in Saul's first episode in Breaking Bad, he mentions Lalo and Ignacio (Nacho) by name when Jesse and Walt have him in the desert and he thinks they're hitmen. So I don't see Nacho's escape plan working, or at least not before some stuff goes down.
Yeah, but too much of this show now is servicing various beats like that in Breaking Bad. Mike kills Werner so that he can still be 'shocked' when Gus uses the box cutter. The superlab project failed less b/c it was good story in BCS but more b/c too early to jibe with BBad timeline. No way that Werner goes thru that elaborate getaway unless he fears for his life, its simply not worth anyone much less a calculating engineer risking even the $ for a weekend with the wife.

I honestly don't know how they make the inevitable Kim - Jimmy split payoff even though they did it with Jimmy - Chuck. DIGRESSION: Somehow I do still want to know or see exactly when Chuck contracted electro-sensitivitis or whatever.
Gus & Mike I don't know what they've got left to show us. They are aligned now and have come from A to say M in their relationship, I don't really care how they get to say 'S' = where they are when Walt comes in.
I'm going to be bitter if the Omaha plot remains only the briefest of teasers or an epitaph (last 8 mins of series). Why did we get a prolonged Omaha sequence to start this season and NEVER went back there?!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, but too much of this show now is servicing various beats like that in Breaking Bad. Mike kills Werner so that he can still be 'shocked' when Gus uses the box cutter. The superlab project failed less b/c it was good story in BCS but more b/c too early to jibe with BBad timeline. No way that Werner goes thru that elaborate getaway unless he fears for his life, its simply not worth anyone much less a calculating engineer risking even the $ for a weekend with the wife.

I honestly don't know how they make the inevitable Kim - Jimmy split payoff even though they did it with Jimmy - Chuck. DIGRESSION: Somehow I do still want to know or see exactly when Chuck contracted electro-sensitivitis or whatever.
Gus & Mike I don't know what they've got left to show us. They are aligned now and have come from A to say M in their relationship, I don't really care how they get to say 'S' = where they are when Walt comes in.
I'm going to be bitter if the Omaha plot remains only the briefest of teasers or an epitaph (last 8 mins of series). Why did we get a prolonged Omaha sequence to start this season and NEVER went back there?!

The only part of the Werner plot that bugged me is that someone like Werner would not do business with someone like Gus Fring without some kind of insurance policy. Werner would be smart enough to have some protection that Fring would not kill him and his whole crew once they were done digging the hole in the ground. That is my only plot complaint.

Overall, I thought it was a great season. A bit methodical, but I really liked it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom