Better Call Saul | The Boneyard

Better Call Saul

Reaction Score
Interesting, seems about to turn into the series we all thought it'd be initially with Jimmy becoming Saul. Yet somehow we are all going to be rooting against this cuz it means he'll lose Kim and betray the memory of Chuck (less of latter obviously). At this point I'm much more interested to watch the empire building by Gus & Mike, yet still confident that VGilligan will find some unknown depth to Jimmy's evolution.

Reaction Score
I really need to get back into this. I haven't watched since season 1

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A little slow for a season premier. But it did catch us up on everyone. However, right there at the end, it looks like Saul is prominent over Jimmy.

Reaction Score
A little slow for a season premier. But it did catch us up on everyone. However, right there at the end, it looks like Saul is prominent over Jimmy.
That was a weird choice, I think a little too easy on the actor to simply be stoic in response.

Did that flip on Hamlin define the whole show. Jimmy gets to say Chuck's demise was someone else's fault and then start whistling and the entire act it'S aull Good-man is avoidance?

Yet while watching & especially thru the eulogy phone call I definitely was thinking that Chuck's list of accomplishments and untimely demise was ALL Jimmy's fault so I guess the stoicism did accomplish its intent (I also thought if he was that smart Jimmy doesn't get him in court). Weird to give the man no agency in his own fate. Get some psychiatric help seems like an awfully obvious answer from Jimmy's first arrival in town thru the electrolysis paralysiss. it was easy to blame Chuck while he was alive and so pompous, condescending and in total denial. Once he's dead it is a lot harder.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What spoiler? And you had 3 days.

I wait until the season is done to binge the season. On s positive note, I don't remember having typed the reply, and I can't remember what you said.

God bless my ADD.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Did that flip on Hamlin define the whole show. Jimmy gets to say Chuck's demise was someone else's fault and then start whistling and the entire act it'S aull Good-man is avoidance?
It may define the show. But I don't know if it's gonna be the "fault" that makes Saul or rather the death of Chuck. That's a huge weight, and a huge weight of expectation (and condemnation) removed from Jimmy.

One could say Walter was always Heisenberg, he just needed a catalyst (cancer, need for money) to get there. Slipping Jimmy was always Saul, his catalyst may be Chuck's death? All though I really, really can't wait to see how Kim plays out in this???

Reaction Score
It may define the show. But I don't know if it's gonna be the "fault" that makes Saul or rather the death of Chuck. That's a huge weight, and a huge weight of expectation (and condemnation) removed from Jimmy.

One could say Walter was always Heisenberg, he just needed a catalyst (cancer, need for money) to get there. Slipping Jimmy was always Saul, his catalyst may be Chuck's death? All though I really, really can't wait to see how Kim plays out in this???
I'm interested to see exactly how she gets there, but its always been obvious that Kim is ethical with a frivolous side whereas Jimmy is frivolous with flexible loyalty and morality. So the how is worth watching, but to me the only intriguing/unknown question is will the split be permanent ala Chuck - Jimmy OR does 'Gene' have any shot at redemption or reconciliation. The how might be does Jimmy do something to someone else that Kim can't abide or does he carelessly take her down in one of his immoral acts.

It is even darker for Mike, we know how he ends up and we are coolly observing his moral demise while oddly pleasuring in his 'character' traits & skills that make him such an efficient criminal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It is even darker for Mike, we know how he ends up and we are coolly observing his moral demise while oddly pleasuring in his 'character' traits & skills that make him such an efficient criminal.
I don't know if it is so much a moral demise. We know he was a dirty cop to start with.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it is so much a moral demise. We know he was a dirty cop to start with.
True, its weird how criminals are almost always portrayed as being amongst the better criminals, loyal to their families (ie. Nacho the drug dealer that just protected his father) and their crews. Mike is portrayed as unfailingly loyal to his family and his guys unless they cross him. Then somehow he is justifiably & 'honorably' murderous. The only reality the TV versions succumb to is ultimately their families are affected even though they tried to keep them apart and safe. The real world reality that the minute you go down the road of illegal behavior you are risking your families' security and lives isn't considered much initially and almost never truly reaps what they've sown.
Even Walter W who did deal with an almost daily erosion and effect on his family (SPOILER ALERT). Although he ruined the lives of his wife and brother + sister in-law, he managed to provide for his son.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
True, its weird how criminals are almost always portrayed as being amongst the better criminals, loyal to their families (ie. Nacho the drug dealer that just protected his father) and their crews. Mike is portrayed as unfailingly loyal to his family and his guys unless they cross him. Then somehow he is justifiably & 'honorably' murderous. The only reality the TV versions succumb to is ultimately their families are affected even though they tried to keep them apart and safe. The real world reality that the minute you go down the road of illegal behavior you are risking your families' security and lives isn't considered much initially and almost never truly reaps what they've sown.
Even Walter W who did deal with an almost daily erosion and effect on his family (SPOILER ALERT). Although he ruined the lives of his wife and brother + sister in-law, he managed to provide for his son.
True.

Most good people do bad things on occasion (not to the extent of murder, but). And most bad people do good things.

Reaction Score
Episode 2 features an absolute tour de force emmy moment for Rhea Seahorn. GAVE it to one of Jimmy's chief complicit tormentors. Very satisfying go frock yourself to the forces that have pushed Jimmy down.

Gives a hint that she might stay on the see the good in Jimmy side forever. The fact that in the same episode Jimmy doesn't see the good in himself and sabotages his own relatively honorable efforts to join a workplace of two too nice guys is indicative that he's simply got no tolerance left for doing things the right way. Jimmy firmly believes either the system or someone smarter willing to get dirty wins.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Episode 2 features an absolute tour de force emmy moment for Rhea Seahorn. GAVE it to one of Jimmy's chief complicit tormentors. Very satisfying go frock yourself to the forces that have pushed Jimmy down.

Gives a hint that she might stay on the see the good in Jimmy side forever. The fact that in the same episode Jimmy doesn't see the good in himself and sabotages his own relatively honorable efforts to join a workplace of two too nice guys is indicative that he's simply got no tolerance left for doing things the right way. Jimmy firmly believes either the system or someone smarter willing to get dirty wins.

It certainly seems he's going to go back for the Hummel figurine and maybe some other stuff as he checked out the price of that Hummel online. I'm assuming that's part of what the $4K in "free money" is.

Reaction Score
All though I really, really can't wait to see how Kim plays out in this???
I feel like eventually I'll re-watch this series like I did with Dexter, where I watched Deb's character progression, who as a character is nearly synonymous to Kim

Reaction Score
It certainly seems he's going to go back for the Hummel figurine and maybe some other stuff as he checked out the price of that Hummel online. I'm assuming that's part of what the $4K in "free money" is.
I think we are missing something. Mike isn't a common thief, there's got to be another level to the scam - I can't imagine its a heist and fencing stolen goods op.

They really, really hate the Lydia character.

Reaction Score
I felt bad for Gale in Breaking Bad and if Gus just trusted his original instincts Gale never would have got in the business.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I didn't realize at the time; the guy that Jimmy hires to steal the figurine is in Breaking Bad. He's the owner of Vamanos Pest, the company that Walt and Jesse use to cook in other peoples' houses when the Superlab is blown up.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize at the time; the guy that Jimmy hires to steal the figurine is in Breaking Bad. He's the owner of Vamanos Pest, the company that Walt and Jesse use to cook in other peoples' houses when the Superlab is blown up.
Wow, didn't catch that at all - did you notice that or read it somewhere?

I wonder if he's going to build a business starting kitty out of the Jimmy affiliation that helps him start his business!

Spoilers follow...

I knew Mike wouldn't do this petty theft, I just wished he'd explained why (risk v reward) to Jimmy vs saying it is not for me and then expressing sympathy over Chuck and telling Jimmy to take care of himself. Mike clearly could see the way for Jimmy to take care of himself is refrain from risky behavior that doesn't offer rewards commensurate with the risk.

With respect to Gale, Gus was always grooming him to be a cook. What happened was Walt was so talented that Gus had to hire Walt b/c his product was so much better. The error was initially letting Walt fire Gale and replace with Jessie and/or not immediately stealing Walt's recipe & technique and quickly dumping Walt.

Kim's breakdown after Jimmy's dispassionate reading of his brother's letter was really fascinating. I think she is grieving the loss of the brotherly relationship and unwittingly the loss of the redeemable qualities (hardworking, won't quit) that once best defined Jimmy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom