OT: - Best Vocalist You've Seen Live | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Vocalist You've Seen Live

Reaction Score
Grohl is the best frontman in the business, saw the Foo Fighters last summer at Fenway and Wrigley, then saw Pearl Jam later in the summer at Wrigley and the Foo Fighters blew them out of the water.
Oh cmon. I’m a fan of both bands but I saw Pearl Jam at Fenway last September and can’t see anyone “blowing them out of the water”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Oh cmon. I’m a fan of both bands but I saw Pearl Jam at Fenway last September and can’t see anyone “blowing them out of the water”

Stuff happens. You saw PJ in Fenway, SJ saw them in Wrigley.

I once saw Golden Earring blow The Who off the stage. This was in 1974 during The Who's 4 night stand at MSG. I happened to be unfortunate enough to be at the Monday show, which is infamous in how awful it was. Someone who saw the Thursday show would likely have a completely different opinion.

Anyway, this is also why I didn't think of mentioning Daltrey as a great vocalist I saw live. The sound was so bad you couldn't tell.

Reaction Score
Grohl is the best frontman in the business, saw the Foo Fighters last summer at Fenway and Wrigley, then saw Pearl Jam later in the summer at Wrigley and the Foo Fighters blew them out of the water.

Yeah Foo Fighters are great, but I 100% disagree. Pearl Jam plays longer, and change up their setlists every night. They’ve been doing that for over 2 decades. Eddie’s voice is also much more versatile than Dave Grohl. (This post is not a knock on them btw, just emphasizing how great PJ is live). To each his own.

Reaction Score
It's all opinion brother.

Different music but in terms of being a live performer Grohl is like Springsteen, his shows were absolutely electric, the energy is there for every song. I get that Pearl Jam is a different type of band but I honestly could have left the Pearl Jam show early and went to the bar.

Years before they played a show at Wrigley, my friends who live right outside the ballpark threw a party and we listened from our lawn chairs, that was a fun night because of storms the show went on until 2:30 in the morning but the show last year was disappointing, especially because PJ is our local band. The Foo Fighters Wrigley show was the best show I've ever been to so Pearl Jam was probably destined to not live up to it. The time before Grohl played Wrigley he had a broken leg and was seated the whole show so I think he had even more in the tank than usual. Epic show.

Reaction Score
Yeah Foo Fighters are great, but I 100% disagree. Pearl Jam plays longer, and change up their setlists every night. They’ve been doing that for over 2 decades. Eddie’s voice is also much more versatile than Dave Grohl. (This post is not a knock on them btw, just emphasizing how great PJ is live). To each his own.
Foo Fighers have been doing it for over 2 decades too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Just because, my Sinatra story:

1984, I think, early Atlantic City, probably Resorts. Never went back there; it was a company freebie, an overnight with a couple dozen coming down from Long Island.

I remember no details, simply that his voice had obvious limitations, and the songs were mostly overblown crap of a type I can't stand. Every time he got to a note and it seemed like he'd painted himself into a corner and had no chance, he resolved it with something unexpected and satisfying. Every song was the best performance of it that I'd ever heard. It was like the words really meant something.

I don't know how he did it, but that was my experience. Every. Single. Song.

As to Van Morrison, it's been a while and my experiences have been good, but I've always feared and joked that he might stop mid-song and walk off at any moment.

I've also enjoyed the sport of listening hard to pick up clues and figure out what song Dylan is performing before whoever else I'm with does.

Reaction Score
Steve Winwood and its not close and i’ve seen:

Plant
Bono
Paul simon
Ray charles
Dylan

There are a few more i cant think of, but Winwood kills it.
I love Steve Winwood. He's about the most underrated big name artist I can think of.

Reaction Score
It's all opinion brother.

Different music but in terms of being a live performer Grohl is like Springsteen, his shows were absolutely electric, the energy is there for every song. I get that Pearl Jam is a different type of band but I honestly could have left the Pearl Jam show early and went to the bar.

Years before they played a show at Wrigley, my friends who live right outside the ballpark threw a party and we listened from our lawn chairs, that was a fun night because of storms the show went on until 2:30 in the morning but the show last year was disappointing, especially because PJ is our local band. The Foo Fighters Wrigley show was the best show I've ever been to so Pearl Jam was probably destined to not live up to it. The time before Grohl played Wrigley he had a broken leg and was seated the whole show so I think he had even more in the tank than usual. Epic show.
Yeah man, it’s music and we’re all entitled to subjectuve opinions. As I said, I’m a big fan of both. After waiting far too long to see PJ, I was a little afraid Vedder wouldn’t sound good at last year’s show but the energy, setlist exceeded my expectations; I look forward to seeing Foo soon enough too.

Reaction Score
I love Steve Winwood. He's about the most underrated big name artist I can think of.

My friend ran Jazz Snowmass Aspen for years and I saw him there - hard to beat that environment - a field in the Roaring Fork valley with the Maroon Bells framing the deal.

Reaction Score
Steve Winwood and its not close and i’ve seen:

Plant
Bono
Paul simon
Ray charles
Dylan

There are a few more i cant think of, but Winwood kills it.
Saw Winwood open two years ago for Clapton, great show all around. I don’t remember his vocals blowing me away but he is pretty old now. What era are you referring to? I’ve seen some great vocalists like Daltrey, but past their prime. I’ve seen some amazing shows but not that many vocalists that stand out. Here’s a small list though.

Susan Tedeschi (soulful, powerful, smooth)
Vedder
Bono-80s versión (Range, power)
Sting
David Lee Roth (More of a showman but during original VH years, Dave could hold his own)
Adam Lavine
Daltrey, past prime but still good
Adam Duritz in 90s

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wish I had a chance to see Meatloaf. That guy has some pipes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have seen so many blues singers that no one has heard of who are outstanding.

I wasn’t considering the 75+ year old guy I saw in a blues jazz bar in KC who played with everyone back in the day, of the amazing people I’ve seen on Frenchman in NOLA. But we don’t know their names. I’ve heard several church singers who were amazing. There’s lots of talent out there.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t considering the 75+ year old guy I saw in a blues jazz bar in KC who played with everyone back in the day, of the amazing people I’ve seen on Frenchman in NOLA. But we don’t know their names. I’ve heard several church singers who were amazing. There’s lots of talent out there.

What bar? I lived a half a block away from the Phoenix and there was a great place in midtown in the second floor of a building that hammered it i just cant remember the name. KC is a great town.

Reaction Score
Saw Winwood open two years ago for Clapton, great show all around. I don’t remember his vocals blowing me away but he is pretty old now. What era are you referring to? I’ve seen some great vocalists like Daltrey, but past their prime. I’ve seen some amazing shows but not that many vocalists that stand out. Here’s a small list though.

Susan Tedeschi (soulful, powerful, smooth)
Bono-80s versión (Range, power)
Sting
David Lee Roth (More of a showman but during original VH years, Dave could hold his own)
Adam Lavine
Daltrey, past prime but still good
Adam Duritz in 90s

Winwood - Late 90’s. He was incredible.

Reaction Score

What Fenway show did you see? I saw both, and although there was nothing wrong with the first show, I thought Tuesday night had a better set list and more energy. I’m not sure if I’ve seen them better than that night in my 15 shows.

If the first paragraph doesn’t make it clear, Eddie Vedder is the best vocalist that I’ve seen live. Chris Cornell is a close second. I was lucky enough to see him solo, with Soundgarden, with Audioslave, and with Temple Of The Dog.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Whitney Houston twice.

Toots Hibbert.

Annika Chambers. Shameika Copeland.

Bono

John Fogarty

Reaction Score
What Fenway show did you see? I saw both, and although there was nothing wrong with the first show, I thought Tuesday night had a better set list and more energy. I’m not sure if I’ve seen them better than that night in my 15 shows.

If the first paragraph doesn’t make it clear, Eddie Vedder is the best vocalist that I’ve seen live. Chris Cornell is a close second. I was lucky enough to see him solo, with Soundgarden, with Audioslave, and with Temple Of The Dog.
Night One and I really wish I went night two. Cornell was possibly my favorite vocalist, so disappointed I never saw him live. Happy for you though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom