OT: - Best Vocalist You've Seen Live | The Boneyard

OT: Best Vocalist You've Seen Live

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So we've done guitar player. How about vocalists? I think it matters how they sounded when you saw them. Did they impress you or exceed or fall short of expectations.

My List.
1. Tom Jones. He was late 70's or almost 80 when I saw him in Boston a year or so ago. Moved around like a cat, and his voice hasn't lost anything. I went in with low expectations and came away very, very impressed. Honestly one of the best shows I've seen.

2. Robin Zander. I've seen Cheap Trick 5 times (one more coming up). He never lets me down. Underrated singer with great range. Hasn't lost any of it. When he does the Flame it really showcases his abilities.

3. Boy George. At what was Bank Boston Pavilion. Wife talked me into it (Thompson Twins played too). The guy is just a fantastic vocalist. You can hear it so clearly on "Do They Know It's Christmas" where the only other voice that stands out is Bono, and for a different reason.

4. Bono. Two shows. He can sing, has solid range and brings a lot of power and emotion to his vocals that aren't just amplification.

5. Chris Isaak: Have seen him twice, great performer and his voice is like velvet. Amazing at Elvis covers which says a lot really.

On the disappointing list, Pat Benatar. Small venue two years ago. She was perfectly fine, but not up to her reputation.

Reaction Score
1) Mike Patton - Faith No More - 6+ octave range. He’s just incredible.

2) Chris Cornell - Soundgarden - Dude had pipes.

3) Maynard James Keenan - Tool - Sounds exactly like he does on albums which is saying something.

4) Paul McCartney - Himself - Dude sang his heart out for 3+ hours!

5) Greg Lake - ELP - Such a rich baritone.

6) Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam - So much emotion in that voice.

7) Dave Grohl - Foo Fighters - Another guy who sounds the same live.

8) Neil Fallon - Clutch - The most powerful performer I’ve ever seen.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I saw Minnie Ripperton open for George Benson at the Palladium in '77 I think. Haven't heard anything like her ever since, not even Whitney.

For males, best I ever saw live was Prince, and there's absolutely no contest there.

I like some of your choices as they're not obvious. I would probably go see a Tom Jones show if given the opportunity. I've seen recent videos of duets he's done and yeah, he's still got it. And Zander is still really good. But I still miss Bun E. I haven't seen either of those two live, but since you mentioned Benatar, I'll throw in a guy who I heard live (we were picnicking at SPAC outside of the venue so could hear clearly). He was Benatar's opener: none other than Billy Squier. Say what you will about the songs, but the dude could sing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's a bit of a joke submission, but one the many lawyers on the board may find funny.
The Kansas Law school faculty has had a band for a long time. They were around before I got there in 1991. The Moody Bluebooks. Mostly they aren't good singers or players. The perform for charity on Pub Night each spring. The songs are re-written covers designed to relevant to law students. "1L" for example.

But at my first every Pub Night in 1992, sometime in the second set, a woman who works as an admin in the law school office comes out and sings "White Acre", which is White Rabbit, and was astonishing. Don't think I've ever been so surprised by a singer. This woman may be her, if so she aged pretty well. Audio quality is poor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My List.
2. Robin Zander. I've seen Cheap Trick 5 times (one more coming up). He never lets me down. Underrated singer with great range. Hasn't lost any of it. When he does the Flame it really showcases his abilities.
Like for this. I caught them just a couple of years ago and he still sounded great. Those belters are fun live when they're on their A game

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Charity event at Warner Theater in Torrington. I was backstage security for a concert featuring John Sebastian, Arlo Guthrie and Richie Havens. Richie killed it. Played so hard he broke a steel string.

David Clayton-Thomas 1977. San Juan Hotel ballroom. Center front row seats same level not more than ten feet from us. He made us very happy.

Simon and Garfunkel.

Niel Diamond. Tenth row Civic Center.

Billy Joel and Elton John. Two middle aged adults pressed against the stage by a hundred or so screaming young women. High fived Billy who did a double take as he passed us by.

Peter, Paul and Mary at Bucknell University’s auditorium day after Kent State shootings.

Reaction Score
After an all day and night of betting on the first round of the NCAA, I was still wired up, so I caught Tom Jones in Vegas for $35.00. I was by myself, about 8 rows back. I was blown away, I thought I would be just killing time. The man has it, whatever it is, he plays his stuff, covers and tells great storys. Except for the 8 dollar 16th row Bruce show in Cameron in 76, this one was up there for moneys worth.

Reaction Score
1) Mike Patton - Faith No More - 6+ octave range. He’s just incredible.

2) Chris Cornell - Soundgarden - Dude had pipes.

3) Maynard James Keenan - Tool - Sounds exactly like he does on albums which is saying something.

4) Paul McCartney - Himself - Dude sang his heart out for 3+ hours!

5) Greg Lake - ELP - Such a rich baritone.

6) Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam - So much emotion in that voice.

7) Dave Grohl - Foo Fighters - Another guy who sounds the same live.

8) Neil Fallon - Clutch - The most powerful performer I’ve ever seen.
Grohl is the best frontman in the business, saw the Foo Fighters last summer at Fenway and Wrigley, then saw Pearl Jam later in the summer at Wrigley and the Foo Fighters blew them out of the water.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Frank Sinatra
David Clayton Thomas
Burt Cummings
Gary Puckett
Andy Pratt
Eddie Vedder
Tommy James
Steven Perry
Donny Hathaway
Beth Hart
Janis Ian
Jimmy Scott
Paul Janeway (St Paul and the Broken Bones)
The lead singer for the reggae group Common Kings is wonderful

Never saw Elvis, Aretha or Van Morrison

Have to add Gene Pitney - I grew up 2 houses away from him in Rockville and knew him for years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom