OT: - Best value propane grill | The Boneyard

OT: Best value propane grill

Reaction Score
Doing some research on a propane grill. I’m no grilling master as I’m prone to just grilling up some dogs, steaks, and hamburgers. My wife is the champion chef of the family. I’d like it to have four burners and the more stainless steel the better as a means of repelling morher nature. My general price range would be $300-$1000, I don’t mind paying up if it’s worth the overall value for a practical grill.

Reaction Score
Had a lower-end Weber for like 20 years. Finally replaced it with a Weber Genesis last year. What a beast! LOVE it.

Reaction Score
I'd go with a Weber. Had one for over 20 years and just got a new one 2 years ago.

We had this discussion on here last June. Here's the 4 page thread which pretty much covers what you're looking for.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Doing some research on a propane grill. I’m no grilling master as I’m prone to just grilling up some dogs, steaks, and hamburgers. My wife is the champion chef of the family. I’d like it to have four burners and the more stainless steel the better as a means of repelling morher nature. My general price range would be $300-$1000, I don’t mind paying up if it’s worth the overall value for a practical grill.

Stainless steel does not mean it won't rust. I had a Char-broil and it disintegrated before my eyes over about 7 seasons and we pulled it into the garage in the winter. My Weber is about that old and still going strong, including throughout the winter. Weber has top-notch customer service as well.

Out of curiosity, why 4 burners?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Pro tip for the Weber - don't waste your $$ on the Weber cover, buy a generic cover at Lowes or WalMart, and a heavy duty tarp (8' * 10'-ish). Use a couple of bungee cords to secure the tarp over the cover, you'll get years of use out of that paring and better water resistance than the name brand cover. Ive been in my house 24 years, and on my second Weber, still going strong.

Reaction Score
I'm looking for a new one as well. I'm leaning towards Napoleon. Weber would be my second choice. I've read that the quality of the Webers have been going down after they started manufacturing them in China.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Pro tip for the Weber - don't waste your $$ on the Weber cover, buy a generic cover at Lowes or WalMart, and a heavy duty tarp (8' * 10'-ish). Use a couple of bungee cords to secure the tarp over the cover, you'll get years of use out of that paring and better water resistance than the name brand cover. Ive been in my house 24 years, and on my second Weber, still going strong.
Actually, based on advice from this board I threw out my cover (had a generic and two Webers, all sucked). The cover traps moisture.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I had an old Weber that I couldn't kill no matter how hard I tried. I wanted something new, bigger and cooler-looking, but I am cheap and don't replace things that still work just fine (Hence, my iPhone 8 and my son's iPhone 7). However, one spring, we opened the grill and found mice had taken up residence over the winter. I would have cleaned it up sparked it up and kept using it, but my wife refused to eat anything grilled on it. All the logic in the world doesn't mean a thing in a situation like that. So, after more than 25 years, we bought another Weber. This monster has four burners and could grill for a huge party. We love it. I did not spring for the cooktop burner. This is our third or fourth year with it. Now in the winter, I put a bag of moth balls on the bottom shelf when I cover it up to keep the squatters away. And we use it in the winter if the deck isn't covered with snow. Something to consider is where you buy it. When we bought ours, the local hardwares stores had the stainless steel cooking grates while big box had the cheaper version of the grates. For the same price. When we bought our first one, Home Depot had the cast iron grates and the local stores had the stainless. Cast Iron cooked nice, but it was a pain to continuously season it with oil to prevent rust. So I sprung for the stainless after a couple of years. I bought my current one at Larsen Ace Hardware and they assembled and delivered it for free. Took the old one away, too. You can't beat that. Good luck with whatever you buy.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
One and only answer.

Screenshot_20210324-155832_Google.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've said it here before. I have had the same Weber Genesis since 1995 and it still lights on the first click.
You beat me by five years. I have replaced the flavor bars twice, the grate once and the ignition once, and it kinda looks its age, but absolutely no reason to replace it. A good smoke box and you can do decent smoking as well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You beat me by five years. I have replaced the flavor bars twice, the grate once and the ignition once, and it kinda looks its age, but absolutely no reason to replace it. A good smoke box and you can do decent smoking as well.

I had one for about 16 years and finally upgraded to a newer one and donated the old one. One of the real benefits of the Webers are the ability to just replace parts like those flavorizer bars, the grates, the ignitor, etc.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wallyworld circular this week hawking grills. no rec's from me, just wallyworld making a push. weber? trager? charbroil? never heard of them. why would i?

1w8etk.jpg

Reaction Score
When Hurricane Michael came through..my Tallahassee home took a good hit...tree through the roof into attic ($7000 for crane to lift it out), back deck destroyed by another tree....

My old Weber was squished ...a little off catty corner, hood slammed down in middle...but it would light and cook if the grate would fit properly...junked it.

Bought a new Weber for the mountain place...and have not replaced the Florida grill.

Reaction Score
Got a weber that's probably over 10 years old from my wife's grandmother. Hadn't been lit in 2 years at least. Lit first time and every time since. Perfect.

Reaction Score
Weber Genesis with the 4th searing heat source. Options I have are the side smoker tray, comes with a smaller grilling grate so a tray can be slide in and an electric rotisserie. Love the Gen - you won't be disappointed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom