OT: - Best value propane grill | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best value propane grill

Reaction Score
You beat me by five years. I have replaced the flavor bars twice, the grate once and the ignition once, and it kinda looks its age, but absolutely no reason to replace it. A good smoke box and you can do decent smoking as well.
LOL. One Sunday about four years ago I was driving down the road and saw the same model by the curb. I screeched to a halt, got out and took out all the grates and flavor bars and drove away! They were all pristine.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
CB5DA578-CBB5-4D2B-8000-CE04C5E16B96.jpeg

Reaction Score
Pro tip for the Weber - don't waste your $$ on the Weber cover, buy a generic cover at Lowes or WalMart, and a heavy duty tarp (8' * 10'-ish). Use a couple of bungee cords to secure the tarp over the cover, you'll get years of use out of that paring and better water resistance than the name brand cover. Ive been in my house 24 years, and on my second Weber, still going strong.
Are you just keeping it sheltered? Or buttoned up for winter? I was advised to never use a cover on grills or pool heaters as the mice love the dry homes.

Reaction Score
LOL. One Sunday about four years ago I was driving down the road and saw the same model by the curb. I screeched to a halt, got out and took out all the grates and flavor bars and drove away! They were all pristine.
They were just moving it...

Reaction Score
1616627895567.jpeg

There’s ol’ Red. What a beaut.

Reaction Score
Stainless steel does not mean it won't rust. I had a Char-broil and it disintegrated before my eyes over about 7 seasons and we pulled it into the garage in the winter. My Weber is about that old and still going strong, including throughout the winter. Weber has top-notch customer service as well.

Out of curiosity, why 4 burners?
I ha
I have a Weber which is much better at evenly distributing the heat than my old grill.
Very impressive.

Reaction Score
Broil King is good as well. They are very durable and worth a look. I would buy another one.

I had a Weber 320——or whatever it is and it corroded fairly quickly. I initially bought it with the intent of moving it to my second home but I never got around to it. It just wasn’t cut out for this climate. The Genesis had better grade metal per a few Yarders. I went with it and so far, so good. Considering my grill gets a lot of South Florida sun and is very close to the beach (salt air), the Genesis is weathering really well.

Climate matters. I bought a $150 Charbroil for our place in VT 7 years ago. It has lasted beautifully. It is on a covered porch and just doesn’t take much of a beating other than rain and snow that come in from the side. I need to replace it this summer simply because it is a kind of lousy grill with hot spots. I am considering the Weber Q that Tom posted. It is another small Weber but I think it may be better quality than the 200-300 series. It looks “portable” but it is painted and possibly better protected as a result. I highly advise people skip the $399-$499 cheaper Webers if the grill isn’t going to be protected and pampered. They amaze at first but they won’t last like the ones that cost $200+more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I made the mistake of not buying Weber and Years ago went with a heavier more "commercial" type stainless grill with grates and inside that just rusted out, had to trash it. Bought a Weber Summit and love it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Get a Weber Kettle and don't follow all the gas sissies here

Reaction Score
Weber is the best, but Char-Broil is the better value. Not as prestigious a brand, but work great and are a lot less expensive.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I bought a Weber tailgate grill maybe 10 years ago to bring to the Rent. Actually bought an adapter to connect it to a 20 lb propane tank (as opposed to the small green cannisters) and set it up Sunday. Still works.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm looking for a new one as well. I'm leaning towards Napoleon. Weber would be my second choice. I've read that the quality of the Webers have been going down after they started manufacturing them in China.

I had a Napolean for several years. Cooked really well. Had the infra-red cooking section. When we retired to Florida I gave it to one of our sons. Its still running after 17 years. Be aware, a large section of the bottom rotted out and had to be replaced. The screen over the infra-red cooker disintegrated over time and had to be replaced.

We now have a Weber Genisis. Going on 4 years and love it. Being in Florida, it gets used at least 4 times a week. Excellent cooker. The grill will hold at 350 degrees for cooking the likes of chicken and turkey breasts. Cast iron grates. It grills better than the Napolean.

As to grill covers, I purchased a cheap Char Broil for the Weber. It made it about 4.5 years. I just replaced it with a King Kong cover.

Which ever one you choose, happy grilling!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are you just keeping it sheltered? Or buttoned up for winter? I was advised to never use a cover on grills or pool heaters as the mice love the dry homes.

I cover mine and have not had an issue. I don't use the Weber cover, I use a different one. Never had mice, and my grill is maybe 20 feet from the woods. Now, at our Vermont house, I couldn't keep the mice out no matter what I did.

Reaction Score
Love my Weber Spirit.

Durable, easy to maintain, perfect size for my smaller patio. If you plan on having a lot of bigger parties/grill situations, it's on the smaller side, but it handles grilling for 4-6 fine. I love grilling salmon on it!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love my Weber Spirit.

Durable, easy to maintain, perfect size for my smaller patio. If you plan on having a lot of bigger parties/grill situations, it's on the smaller side, but it handles grilling for 4-6 fine. I love grilling salmon on it!
Weber basically did with the Genesis what Nissan did with the Pathfinder, i.e., they took the essential features and created a new entry-level (Spirit = Xterra) and then they bumped up the bells, whistles and price tag of the existing model and made it more of an upscale item.

And then Weber took it to another level by getting rid of the Genesis line and creating the Genesis II. I got a new flyer from one of our local hardware stores the other day and it looks like they start in the $800s now, over $1,000 if you want the stainless steel cooking grates.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Get a Weber Kettle and don't follow all the gas sissies here

Takes too long. I do have one, but don't use it. I did however switch to an ugly drum charcoal smoker. It's easier to justify the added time when I'm going to be using it on a 10 hour+ smoke.

Reaction Score
Grill covers. Had a Weber, the squirrels chewed through it, also very heavy to take on and off. Bought cheap lightweight China made cover on eBay for $15. Very thin, can throw it on there with zero effort. Has the velcro for the sides. At 2 years it's fine. Doubles as a barber cape too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
View attachment 66260
There’s ol’ Red. What a beaut.
On my first trip out of the house after cancer surgery 10 years ago, I paid $10-20 for a non-working one just like that, plus some accessories, including replacement favor bars. The sellers had to load it my car.

While I was gearing up for the rebuild, a Spirit came into the household after a friend got married and had no use for two grills.

I wheeled the red box down to the end of the driveway, and it was grabbed within 10 minutes. The flavor bars (which didn't fit the Spirit) were held back, and made somebody else very happy when given as a gift a month or so later.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
TL; DR

Has anyone suggested Weber yet?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members