Best Starting Guards in the Country | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Starting Guards in the Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I consider DeShields to be a guard. It will not be uncommon to see her in the lead guard position.
I think she will play the 2 and 3 positions mainly. BTW Holdsclaw was at practice today. She tweeted this about DeShields
Check out @Chold1's Tweet:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I did not say that Baylor was the best...just trying to get a little guard talk going on to see which teams come into the conversation. Can't we all just get along?

Which would lead me to question, who do you think has the second best group of guards?

Either Baylor or Ohio State

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Besides UCONN-Duh! , I like the Texas A&M guards, very anxious to see how Jones recovers and pairs with Johnson in Baylor. Also anxious to see how the incoming ND trio pairs with Allen. For the record, Muffett's plan to move Allen to the wing is outlandish even if only occasionaly! Predict that one of the new Duke PGs will emerge and allow a healthy Greenwell to be more of a sniper instead of a primary ball handler. Not A full backcourt but I love Romero at FSU. Here game tempo management from the PG position is second only to MoJeff.

Gonna be interesting to see how Jordan Jones for TAMU recovers... she tore her ACL late in the season (Feb). I cant imagine her being 100% ready at the beginning of the season. Their senior guards will come to Cameron in the 3rd game in the season to face our freshman guards....:eek:

Reaction Score
You guys remember Briahanna Jackson, Freshman of the year in the AAC two years ago and throwing in 28 against UConn in her last game at UCF. Well, she's spent the last year and a half living in Louisville and practicing with the team, fully healthy the entire time. Coach Walz says expect some big things from her. Matched with Asia Durr in the backcourt, backed up by Taja Cole, the Cards guards are going to be difficult to handle.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You guys remember Briahanna Jackson, Freshman of the year in the AAC two years ago and throwing in 28 against UConn in her last game at UCF. Well, she's spent the last year and a half living in Louisville and practicing with the team, fully healthy the entire time. Coach Walz says expect some big things from her. Matched with Asia Durr in the backcourt, backed up by Taja Cole, the Cards guards are going to be difficult to handle.
Eventually. Think they are a year away though.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I would opt for Mo and Kia over any starting twosome. But I have [unnecessary???] concerns about our guard depth.
While Saniya has certainly shown flashes of delightful assets, the bottom line is that she has been terribly inconsistent in
her two years and my impression is that Geno has not given her much PT in big games...in general. We like to say that UConn players have to earn PT. The question is: if they don't play in big games, is it fair to say that if they are essentially sitting on the bench in big games, that is exactly what they have earned?

An effective Saniya off the bench to spell our 2 starters would sure help out if either one gets into foul trouble or...heaven forbid...an injury.

BuckLucas

Bucks Are The Crux
Reaction Score
Just curious which team you think has the best group of starting guards this year. Baylor is looking very strong with Johnson (last year's NCAA leader in assists per game), Jones and Prince, with Wallace coming off the bench but also a capable starter.

I am sure I have my rose colored glasses on but I don't see a guard tandem better then Ohio State...

Reaction Score
There's only one, Ballhog Chick.
I grabbed this off a Boneyard post but don't know who the author is.

THE RETURN OF THE BALLHOG CHICK

On the grounds of Shady Acres
where a coach can take the cure
when her nerves have turned to shakers
and can no more strain endure

our Miss Pat strolled in the garden,
for it was her discharge day.
A reporter begged her pardon -
Would some questions be okay?

“But of course” Miss Pat said sweetly.
“I’m all well now, you can see,
and recovered most completely
as my doctors all agree."

“Will you now return to coaching?”
asked the scribe in high suspense.
“With the playoffs now approaching
things might get a little tense.”

And she answered back serenely
“Games won’t phase me in the least.
I can handle stress routinely
which is why I’m now released.”

Next he paused, a little wary,
for he knew this next was key.
“So I guess it won’t be scary
when you face Diana T?”

Then her eyes began to glitter,
and she smiled a frozen smile,
while she watched a furry critter
gather acorns in a pile.

As it scurried up a hick’ry
our Miss Pat said “Pardon me.”
And as dock went after dick’ry
then she promptly climbed the tree.

Reaction Score
I am sure I have my rose colored glasses on but I don't see a guard tandem better then Ohio State...
That's why they have all those trophies in the trophy case, right?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Scarlet colors, surely? After UConn, a plausible choice for 2nd best guards.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why is Ekmark ? being ignored? She has a year of some college experience. Her three point shooting percentage was higher than KLS's in high school and Geno says she looks like a different player this season. Is her defense that bad? Surely she is not so slow that she does not have the ability to learn good defense. Geno said he recruited her to be a three point shooting threat. She may very well have regained her shooting touch since she is injury free. She's a coache's daughter who is a smart basketball player. It's hard to believe that she won't be an important part of this season's team.

Reaction Score
Why is Ekmark ? being ignored? She has a year of some college experience. Her three point shooting percentage was higher than KLS's in high school and Geno says she looks like a different player this season. Is her defense that bad? Surely she is not so slow that she does not have the ability to learn good defense. Geno said he recruited her to be a three point shooting threat. She may very well have regained her shooting touch since she is injury free. She's a coache's daughter who is a smart basketball player. It's hard to believe that she won't be an important part of this season's team.
She'll get some minutes. On a team loaded with the nation's best players, that's about all you can hope for. Geno says a lot of things. He said the same things about Chong last year pre-season too, and we saw how that worked out after the Stanford game.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
MoJet and Kia, no contest.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Reno: it sure sounds like something JS has written....delightful!
Yup. JS it was. You can tell by the fact that he is the only scribbler on the BY (except for the Poet Lariat, who seems to have disappeared) whose doggerel scans. (A doggerel masterpiece, although the use of the word "phase" is an uncharacteristic clinker.)

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Reno: it sure sounds like something JS has written....delightful!
I believe JS did all 4 of them.

Ode to the Ballhog Chick
Return of the Ballh0g Chick
Legend of the Ballhog Chick
Legacy of the Ballhog Chick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics