Best soup based lunch | The Boneyard

Best soup based lunch

Reaction Score
As a youth I always loved my Campbell's Tomato soup (made with milk not water) and a grilled cheese sandwich. But now I'm a huge fan of Hearty Italian Style Wedding Soup (Progresso, if I want to sodium splurge or Campbell's chunky if I'm being a bit more health conscious). A ham and swiss sandwich is a great add on.

Eating out, Panera's french onion soup and a grilled cheese sando is strong. My favorite Greensboro restaurant Southern Lights closed down and boy did they have a a gifted "soupier" (sp).

ps Nan - I hope this will lighten the mood. Forgot to hit OT, sorry.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This stuff is da bomb. It’s great on a snowy day. Is corn chowder a New England thing?

1614011518065.jpeg

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
As a youth I always loved my Campbell's Tomato soup (made with milk not water) and a grilled cheese sandwich. But now I'm a huge fan of Hearty Italian Style Wedding Soup (Progresso, if I want to sodium splurge or Campbell's chunky if I'm being a bit more health conscious). A ham and swiss sandwich is a great add on.

Eating out, Panera's french onion soup and a grilled cheese sando is strong. My favorite Greensboro restaurant Southern Lights closed down and boy did they have a a gifted "soupier" (sp).

ps Nan - I hope this will lighten the mood. Forgot to hit OT, sorry.

Sherried salmon bisque. And a slice of buttered homemade sourdough toast to soak up the remnants.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anybody have a good Pho restaurant in the Hartford area? I've never had but want to try.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
As a youth I always loved my Campbell's Tomato soup (made with milk not water) and a grilled cheese sandwich.
I also love grilled cheese and tomato soup. However, my favorite soup is NE Clam Chowder.
I have used several recipes from the Food Wishes web site. We have enjoyed them all. I saw this video for Chef John's inside-out grilled cheese sandwich. I have made it 3 times. All winners. Although the last time I used a nice pumpernickel. The best! Give it a shot. The outside cheese really kicks the flavor up a knotch or 3 0r 5. I tried this technique because for parties I would put piles of graded good parmesan on a pizza stone and baked them until the became these amazing discs of crispy flavor. People loved them. So I thought same concept. Chef John is right; this grilled cheese sandwich is the best.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I would love to try all your suggestions. My wife makes a soup with sirloin steak chunks, diced onions, barley, diced tomatoes, and chunks of potatoes. She puts it all in a pressure cooker with some water, beef bullion, and a splash of hot sauce and a splash of soy sauce. Salt and pepper and one hour later we are serving a bowl with some dinner rolls . So good on a chilly day.

Reaction Score
Big time, impressed!

Almost too cruel because I can't eat it.

ps A good Pasta Fagioli at a family owned Italian restaurant with a splash of olive oil works too.
When I'm in the mood for some quick Pasta Fazool!. I have a very basic version I make, start with Olive Oil and Garlic, Hot Pepper flakes (to taste) in a sauce pan...one pot will do for this. As they say when Garlic is translucent, not burned pour in a can of Swanson Chicken Broth (or for the Vegetarians, Vegetable Broth), a small can of Hunt's sauce (rinse can and pour into pot, a can of Cannellini Beans, Salt and Pepper. (I add either Onion flakes or Onion powder or both and same for Celery flakes or Celery salt/seeds). Bring to a boil, pour in the Pasta and simmer 'till Pasta is cooked to your liking. My Pasta of choice is the Sclafani brand Pasta Mista (a mixture of a few variety of pastas cut to small pieces) or any other small pasta of choice. When done ladle in a bowl topped with another drizzle of olive oil and grated Romano Cheese. (I started this reply with the words "quick Pasta Fazool", don't let the write up scare you, it goes very quick. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Couple other soups I "doctor up" to add some flavors to canned soups.
1. Cream of mushroom soup. I sauté cut up mushrooms in olive oil and then I add the can of soup.
2. New England Clam Chowder. I add a can of chopped clams and a bottle of clam juice to the Campbells Chunky.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
This stuff is da bomb. It’s great on a snowy day. Is corn chowder a New England thing?

View attachment 64871
'Is corn chowder a New England thing?'
my instinct was to say 'invented here,' but i had to confirm.
so, yes.
'In the United States, recipes for corn chowder date back to at least 1884, at which time a corn chowder recipe was published in the Boston Cook Book, authored by Mary Lincoln of the Boston Cooking School. Another corn chowder recipe was published in the Boston Cooking-School Cook Book in 1896, which was authored by Fannie Farmer,'
when i worked in an institutional kitchen back in hs days, and classic corn chowder was on the menu due to 'tradition,' we all knew that seemingly, more will come back from the dining room then we sent out (bulk service to tables). how is that even possible? did the kids bring cc to the dining hall just to get rid of it? lol
im ok with it mostly, just don't think anyone under say, 25, is, even if they ever heard of it.
now, aboot that indian pudding stuff...

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I also love grilled cheese and tomato soup. However, my favorite soup is NE Clam Chowder.
I agree completely with all three. Just had the tomato soup and grilled cheese the other day after I came in from snow blowing. My favorite soup is NE clam chowder and get it every time I go out. At home I usually eat the Campbells chunky clam chowder, but lately it seems to have gone down hill. The best I ever had, hands down, was at the "Black Pearl Restaurant" in Newport, Rhode Island. HEAVEN

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I agree completely with all three. Just had the tomato soup and grilled cheese the other day after I came in from snow blowing. My favorite soup is NE clam chowder and get it every time I go out. At home I usually eat the Campbells chunky clam chowder, but lately it seems to have gone down hill. The best I ever had, hands down, was at the "Black Pearl Restaurant" in Newport, Rhode Island. HEAVEN
everything's better in Newport!

Reaction Score
Soup is good! Home made is best but Progresso is fine - I eat it all the time. Campbell's is ok but third in this race.

As a kid, elementary school age, I had lunch at a friend's house and was served PBJ and tomato soup. The friend dipped his PBJ into the soup as he at it. I gave it a try and 1000 times later I still love it.

I spent some years in Germany in the military and Germans are very good with beer and soup, sometimes in the same pot. One if my favs was a rich pea soup with a long, thin wurst whole in the bowl, and served with good crusty bread and beer. A lunch that sets one up for the afternoon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom