Best soup based lunch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best soup based lunch

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Bacon cheeseburger soup

woah.gif

My goodness....you're speaking my language... please tell me more.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Chowderhead | Definition of Chowderhead by Merriam-Webster

"Chowderhead" is a mispronunciation of "jolterhead," a derivative of the 16th-century insult "jolt head." Before being extended to a thickheaded person (i.e., a blockhead), the term "jolt head" was used literally for a large, heavy head.
:rolleyes:
I actually looked it up before commenting upon your post, but I thought it was such a delicious chance to laud old Tobias Smollett.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
One of my favorite soups is clam chowder - Rhode Island Red. It always goes good with clam cakes.

This one comes from my wife's grandmother. And no, its not Manhattan chowder. Difficult to make here in Florida because quahog clams are not readily available.
There was a chowder place on Long Beach Island (NJ) that did a chowder that was basically a mix of Manhattan and New England Chowders, sort of. I think they called it Rhode Island.

Also, when I was young (1960's) we went to a place (also on LBI) where I first had clam chowder - theirs was different entirely, more of a clear broth with whole cooked tomatoes in it IIRC. Delicious.

There was also a different style we had at a restaurant in, again my memory is vague, maybe San Augustine Florida area. We arrived late at the hotel and took their advice for a late local restaurant which was more of a seafood diner. It was delish, there was an ethnic component but I don't remember the details. Red, certainly, though.

Reaction Score
Ok, here's my winter warm-me-up soup. One carton Pacific Roasted Red pepper and tomato soup, one can diced fire roasted tomatoes, 1/2 cup dry sherry, cayenne pepper to taste and buzz that almost smooth (I use an immersion blender) and melt in some blue cheese.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Tell me about it. When we stumbled on it, my first thought was "how come I have never heard of this place?"
I like dogs, beer maybe 3 people. There is never a time I have been there, that there weren't Coast Guard cadets eating, the Coast Guard knows it's there.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
clam chowder. new england clam chowder. rhody will do in a pinch, but forget that manhattan stuff, unless you've got a barn to paint....
great gramps was a stoic, reliable, and meticulously honest fellow who rigorously followed (mostly) his religious tenets. no pork, shellfish, etc in the home. pizza in the house was a warm weather thing, since we could sit outside, and use paper and plastic. other than that, no outside food. yet, we ate in restaurants often, and traveled aboot the northeast a lot. still no pork and etc for him, and the rest of us, too. respect. after the gazillionth time he ordered new england clam chowder, impertinent kid me asked him 'im missing something here. what's up with the chowder and pizza routine? i don't get it.'
as usual, in his quiet and unhurried manner, he says, with a smile:
'i born here, and while you can take the boy out of the farm, you can't take the farm out of the boy. (and as always) find your own, best way to a better life.' Bridgeport was just a buggy ride, on sundays, down Sport Hill from the farm in Easton for him. it's where he learned aboot pizza from all the shops next to the westside factories, cuz almost everybody, everywhere in his hood, enjoyed new england clam chowder, often for lunch after a cold and snowy morning of chores. i even remember the time in dc where they brought him that red mess, and he said, 'what's that? take it away, please.'
s-l1000.jpg

this guy, sort of. but not her. she was always the life of the party, when not riding around bareback. still is, except for the horse stuff. now, she just tools around in the chrysler, since she picked up that skill at an age of almost 60, long, long, ago.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This stuff is da bomb. It’s great on a snowy day. Is corn chowder a New England thing?

View attachment 64871
Wow! My go to whenever I need a quick soup fix. Glad to know there are others who love this too. But I'm near a Whole Foods and, well, their soup choices are terrific.

Reaction Score
Having soup year around at least twice a week I was disappointed to learn Costco stops selling it sometime in early April then brings it back around Sept to Oct. Just strated trying Hungarian Mushroom . Pretty tasty and loaded with mushrooms.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
By the way - there was an article on CNN Travel about the 20 best kinds of soup around the world. Most of them are not my cup of tea, a few of them sounded ok. For example, one was menudo, from Mexico. No, just no.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Having soup year around at least twice a week I was disappointed to learn Costco stops selling it sometime in early April then brings it back around Sept to Oct. Just strated trying Hungarian Mushroom . Pretty tasty and loaded with mushrooms.
interesting, 'Hungarian Mushroom.' my aforementioned chrysler driving, nonagenarian gramms, is originally from Transylvania, a beyond awesome place for us nature aficionados. amazing.
anyhow, apparently she started a family habit of mushroommania. all these decades later, many of us have a particular fondness for them, prolly cuz s.o.p. was/is to first introduce them to us at early grammar school age, 'try it, u might like it! u don't? ok, we'll try again at another time...' long ago, i took her to the newly opened whole foods in fairfield. circling back to find her, i see that she is standing in front of a huge section of bins full of mushrooms, not moving and transfixed by the sight. 'u ok? something wrong?' nah, she sez, i just haven't seen soo many of these since childhood! (that section only lasted a short while. i guess wf learned that the market for shrooms of many colors wouldn't fly, even in high cuisine fairdale.)
she always sez that if you had nothing to eat but some mushrooms and rice, potato or noodles, it will fill u up. garuntee. she's right. i think that the national fungus of Carpathia and the Great Magyar Plain is the mushroom. lol. to this day, there are always a few cans of regular supermarket mushrooms anywhere i exist.
(pro tip. the main obstacle for children with mushrooms is their texture, and the first mushroom thing that wins some over, is pizza. campbells mushroom soup is prolly #2, tho pop's is fond of saying that, back in his school days, all the kids went home for lunch to have either the mushroom or tomato campbell soup, but notsomuch today.)
'Many mushroom species produce secondary metabolites that can be toxic, mind-altering, antibiotic, antiviral, or bioluminescent. wiki.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom