OT: - Best Seinfeld episodes? | The Boneyard

OT: Best Seinfeld episodes?

Reaction Score
Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce my wife to Seinfeld. I am not even sure where to start because there are so many brilliant episodes. The great thing is that you can start almost anywhere in the series and it will make sense, so you can skip (for the time being) the less developed first season, for instance as this does not need to be done in order.

In my mind, Seinfeld is at its best when:
Kramer is at has zaniest. He has to be in the middle of some crazy scheme, ideally with Newman.
George is his typical loser self. Especially when he, at first, succeeds only to lose it all over being such a loser.
Jerry is at his pickiest and most vain. Especially when he loses a relationship for some dumb reason.
Elaine is in the midst of some kind of misunderstanding (for example when her boss throught she was a drug dealer because of Kramer). Or just plain stubborn.
Newman is at his most evil, especially with Jerry but even with Kramer (like when he traded a helmet for Kramer's radar detector).
Some secondary character to spice things up somehow. I loved how obsessed Jerry's dad was with the #1 dad shirt in one episode. Or how George's dad believed the "serenity now" actually works (or when he was dead set on moving to Del Boca Vista once Jerry's parents did.)

What episode does the best to combine all of this?

Some of the ones to come to mind, and maybe I am forgetting some, are:
The Nap - George at his best. His little scheme to turn his work place in to a resting place ALMOST works.
The Butter Shave - Kramer is quite zany in this one and I don't think I have seen George act like such a loser as in this one, pretending to be handicapped. Although Jerry has been more vain than this one.
The Showerhead - This one even has Uncle Leo! This is the one where Petermen thinks Elaine is addicted to opium
The soup nazi - I love how nonPC Seinfeld could be at times, this is a great example! Plus how stubborn Elaine is.
The hot tub
The Apology - Kramer creates a salad in the shower is the most memorable moment from this one just because of how insane it is. Plus it shows how awkward Elaine can be at times.
The opposite - Suddenly George is not a loser! But I think more background (in regards to George) is needed before you can watch this one.

In the end, I am thinking of going with "The Fire". Opinions? What is a good episode to start on, especially from the first 4 seasons?

IMHO The Contest is a bit over rated

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think my two favorites are The Secret Code and The Merv Griffin Show. The Bosco subplot is my all-time favorite in any episode of the show.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Fire would be a great one.

The one with Vandelay Industries is a favorite, as is the one where George isn't sure whether he has the job or not after the interview so he just shows up and acts like an employee.

Reaction Score
The Strike, it fits each category (minus Newman) it has:
- Festivus (George as a loser)
- The Human Fund (George scheming, then losing, then losing some more)
- Two-Face (Jerry being picky & vain)
- Kramer's H&H bagel Strike (Zany, but mildly so)
- Elaine's fake phone number & free sandwich card (Gets steamed and mistaken for Jerry's ugly girlfriend)

Also just the right amount of George's parents. Until you pin me, George, Festivus is not over!

Reaction Score
I love the The Bosco subplot but I do not want my wife to jump into the middle of an already long running subplot (where George has been with Susan).

For myself, I might fire up the episode right now!

Reaction Score
I love the one with the Maestro & the "pool hall" in George's parents house. Has lots of the elements you listed

Edit: also forgot its called "The Doll"...

Has lots of subplots with the freaky doll that looks like George's mom, and the pic of "Carlo" in Tuscany that could be Frank's cousin...

Reaction Score
Hm, my favorite episode (the Chinese Restaurant) wouldn’t work since no Kramer. But it makes me laugh hysterically when Elaine tries to eat from someone else’s table or when George is losing his mind at missing the phone call for Cartwright. A tad lower but also brilliant is the Pen with Elaine and Jerry in Boca.

But given some of the stipulations, the Subway, the Fire, the Red Dot would be my top 3. Can’t go wrong with any of those.

Reaction Score
The Bottle Deposit

2-part episode

Hits pretty much everything in your list

When it came out i thought "finally!". For many years prior to that episode as a young kid, I had lamented to my parents constantly about the 0.10/0.05 deposit discrepancy for MI/CT when I would scrounge deposit cans laying on the sides of the roads.

Reaction Score
Don't pick the best episodes to play 1st.

Just watch a random one and keep going.

If she fully doesn't understand the depth of the characters, she won't appreciate the classics until she's watched a good amount of them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll go with none. Along with any other TV show that features crazy apartment city life.

Reaction Score
The best ones are the ones that have the least of Jerry love the show except him

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
What was the episode where George gets out of the pool? Goes in the room to dress and Jerry's girlfriend sees him naked. George goes nuts and tries to defend his "man-hood". "The water was cold"lol Been years Did I explain it right?

The Bro?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom