Best Sandwich | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Sandwich

Reaction Score
Cornerstone right next to UConn Hartford has the best chicken cutlet i've ever had
Wethersfield pizza has the absolute best chicken cutlet grinder and nothing else comes close. A family friend comes down to Florida every Christmas and always brings 6 chicken cutlet and 6 meatball subs and we have amazing food for a week.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Claudia's chicken cutlet grinders in Farmington
The chicken caprese from Reef Shack in Fairfield
Pastrami and swiss from LaSalle Market in Collinsville

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think Fairfield county just obliterates Hartford in the deli game, have probably been to 15 delis in fairfield county better than any I have been to in Hartford. I feel like if gaetanos or rinaldis opened up in downtown west hartford they could do a great business
Gaetanos steak and cheese with onions is great.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Cost Less Wine & Liquor on High Ridge must have been one of your accounts. Solid craft beer selection.
They actually refused to carry us. I wasn’t gonna name names but I worked for Thimble Island and they had a pretty bad reputation. Lots of folks didn’t want to touch their product. Lots of shady stuff, like putting new dates on old beer. I don’t know if things have changed since they’ve signed with a distributor, but I’d caution folks not to touch their stuff.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Kovac's Special from Gaetano's is the best sandwich I've ever had.
Also great:
Cornerstone in Hartford - chicken cutlets are elite and very cheap
D'elia's in Norwich - baking really wonderful bread daily, run by a single family, can get really busy
Vocatura's in Norwich - old school Italian bakery/deli
Kovac is my go to there, but I have them use long hots instead of cherry peppers. It’s a perfect sandwich.

Reaction Score
Avella's Italian in Middletown is really good! A little off the beaten path. They'll make any sandwich you want but their daily specials are creative and delicious!

Reaction Score
They actually refused to carry us. I wasn’t gonna name names but I worked for Thimble Island and they had a pretty bad reputation. Lots of folks didn’t want to touch their product. Lots of shady stuff, like putting new dates on old beer. I don’t know if things have changed since they’ve signed with a distributor, but I’d caution folks not to touch their stuff.
Yup. I’m deep in the craft beer scene. Have seen it all and heard it all. Not just Thimble Island. A few other breweries across the state.

Reaction Score
Wethersfield pizza has the absolute best chicken cutlet grinder and nothing else comes close. A family friend comes down to Florida every Christmas and always brings 6 chicken cutlet and 6 meatball subs and we have amazing food for a week.
i suppose i have to find my way there

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
All this talk of chicken cutlet grinders is making me hungry. Does anyone know of a good quality frozen breaded cutlet available online? I don't deep fry at home, and sometimes I don't feel like messing with breading and pan frying.

Reaction Score
i suppose i have to find my way there
Everything there is awesome. I'm a huge fan of the Roast Beef Grinder there as well, but the Chicken Cutlet as mentioned above is on a pedestal all by itself.

Reaction Score
All this talk of chicken cutlet grinders is making me hungry. Does anyone know of a good quality frozen breaded cutlet available online? I don't deep fry at home, and sometimes I don't feel like messing with breading and pan frying.
That's just not possible. Just buy some this sliced chicken breast like Perdue Fit and Easy. Its all trimmed and ready to go. Put the chicken in a plastic bag, pound it with a tenderizer, ice cream scooper, rolling pin etc. Beat a couple eggs and add salt and pepper, dip the chicken in it then dip it in Italian bread crumbs. Heat a frying pan with oil (I like avocado oil, it doesn't burn). Put a lot of oil, like an inch deep. Heat the oil to 360 degrees then gently place the cutlets in it and cook 4 minutes or so then flip and cook for another 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
Did not expect to see Fusaro’s show up on the Yard. I live a quarter mile away between Pepper Ridge and High Ridge. Have been going there since I was a kid in the ‘70s, when it was known as K’s Market, and it was my source for sparklers, baseball cards, Jolly Rancher sticks, cans of Sunkist soda and Fun Dip.
Yeah. I lived off of High Ridge about 15 years ago near Bull's Head and used to hit Fusaro's whenever I wanted a meatball or chicken parm sandwich (once a weekish). It's a very family-owned Italian deli experience. I still stop there when I'm in Stamford. My Naples, IT born father-in-law made a comment about their food, and it kind of ruined it for me. I won't share it so as to not ruin it for others, but he was right. Still, I like it.

Reaction Score
Kovac's Special from Gaetano's is the best sandwich I've ever had.
Also great:
Cornerstone in Hartford - chicken cutlets are elite and very cheap
D'elia's in Norwich - baking really wonderful bread daily, run by a single family, can get really busy
Vocatura's in Norwich - old school Italian bakery/deli

D'elias is so cheap too I don't know how he does it. The area is pretty depressed so I don't think he has a choice

I never make it to Vocatura because when I am there I have to go to D'elias

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I’m Sicilian and I cannot stand mortadell. Love me some soppressah tho.
Also Italian-American who couldn't stand mortadell, at least what they sell here. Had something that looked very similar (with a different name) in Rome a few years back and it was incredible.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Did not expect to see Fusaro’s show up on the Yard. I live a quarter mile away between Pepper Ridge and High Ridge. Have been going there since I was a kid in the ‘70s, when it was known as K’s Market, and it was my source for sparklers, baseball cards, Jolly Rancher sticks, cans of Sunkist soda and Fun Dip.
I remember K's from more than 40 years ago. Never stopped in, just was a reference for a buddy who lived on the street off High Ridge near it.

When my son was in HS (he graduated ten years ago) he loved Fusaro's. They are a legit Italian owned deli.

Reaction Score
Cornerstone right next to UConn Hartford has the best chicken cutlet i've ever had
I go to Cornerstone about once or twice a month. They make a decent chicken cutlet and you get a LOADED 8" grinder for about $10. As far as flavor goes, it's pretty basic breading. For an amazing flavorful chicken cutlet, try the Italian Gourmet Deli on Hartford Ave. in Newington.
Franklin Giant in Hartford. But I moved 7 years ago and not so sure today.
I picked up a couple grinders there last fall and the beef cutlet is still ridiculously good and big enough to sink a small boat. I was there late afternoon on a Saturday and the line was about 10 people deep.

Other than that, Bear's Burnt Ends with a slaw topper is hard to beat.

Reaction Score
Avella's Italian in Middletown is really good! A little off the beaten path. They'll make any sandwich you want but their daily specials are creative and delicious!

The guy that owns this place worked at Angelo’s in New Britain for a very very very long time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I remember K's from more than 40 years ago. Never stopped in, just was a reference for a buddy who lived on the street off High Ridge near it.

When my son was in HS (he graduated ten years ago) he loved Fusaro's. They are a legit Italian owned deli.
I never gave Fusaro's a chance. My uncle lived on Nichols and that was the go-to deli for his family. But I hated him and everything associated with him ;-)

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Enlighten me on Stony Creek
Stony Creek’s beer is, at best, just fine. Miles better than Thimble in my opinion. And I drank a looooot of Thimble beer when I worked there. Poured even more down the drain when they did me dirty.

SCs location, though, is worth it for the mediocre beer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom