Best Sandwich | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Sandwich

Reaction Score
Stony Creek’s beer is, at best, just fine. Miles better than Thimble in my opinion. And I drank a looooot of Thimble beer when I worked there. Poured even more down the drain when they did me dirty.

SCs location, though, is worth it for the mediocre beer.
I was gonna say the location was great and the beer was totally okay. The worst in New England is an interesting designation

Reaction Score
I was gonna say the location was great and the beer was totally okay. The worst in New England is an interesting designation
The beer sucks. And it just sits on shelves around the state collecting dust. The brewery ownership has had major clashes with their head brewers over the years, and there have been significant QC issues with finished product. The location is hard to beat, but there are plenty of better breweries in CT with awesome views and vibes (Kent Falls and Fox Farm, both in a different class than Stony Creek).

Reaction Score
Alright, on a quest to find the best sandwich or Deli in Hartford county or the rest of the state.

My go to used to be a small deli in Stamford called Fusaros or, of course, Gaetano’s, but looking for something around Hartford now.

What do y’all got?
Since you are familiar with Stamford, have you tried Alpen Pantry in Old Greenwich?

New ownership now, but they have some of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had: shout out to the bomber (thinly sliced rare roast beef, Blue cheese spread, lettuce, tomato, fresh pumpernickel) and the gobbler (turkey, Russian dressing, lettuce, tomato on pump).

Probably the first sandwich that I savored as a kid. The original owner was a nut (loved the guy) but new ownership does a nice job.

Reaction Score
Also Italian-American who couldn't stand mortadell, at least what they sell here. Had something that looked very similar (with a different name) in Rome a few years back and it was incredible.
Agreed. I ate a ton of it as a kid, but now I get the dry-heaves when I see it at the deli.

I visited the homeland last year for the first time and had a mortadella and buffalo mozz sandwich on fresh bread from a deli in Lucca. If somebody told me I could have another one today if I smacked my Mom, I’d probably have to think about it.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Deli Unlimited in Guilford makes some great grinders. It is located inside a gas station, but do not let that fool you it is legitimate.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
The beer sucks. And it just sits on shelves around the state collecting dust. The brewery ownership has had major clashes with their head brewers over the years, and there have been significant QC issues with finished product. The location is hard to beat, but there are plenty of better breweries in CT with awesome views and vibes (Kent Falls and Fox Farm, both in a different class than Stony Creek).
Kent Falls and Fox Farm, in comparison, some of the best breweries not just in CT but in New England.

Reaction Score
Deli Unlimited in Guilford makes some great grinders. It is located inside a gas station, but do not let that fool you it is legitimate.
1694138183571.png

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
D'Amelio's Deli in the West End of Waterbury was the best deli ever.

I don't know if they still exist. I last ate there almost 30 years ago.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
They actually rothey’ve signed with a distributor, but I’d caution folks not to touch their stuff.
Those early Island Hoppers were so good!! We go there only for comedy shows. The last time I bought cans from the brewery were from a contractor brewer. The beer had turned.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
New brewer there at SC and the Cloud Mother IPA is amazing.

We're going there on 9/22 to see Grace Potter rock the joint.

We were there last Saturday after eating at Nellie's. Vibe was energetic. Dumbest thing they allow is that cornhole setup right smack in the middle of where everyone has to walk from tables to the brewery.

Lastly, the location is overrated. The view of that river is not ideal.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
C'mon, this was discussed in 2013.

And in 2020.

And in 2021.

You missed linking to Best BEC sandwich (Country Cow), but, truly, who can complain about a thread that touts Wethersfield Pizza's chicken Parm, the Kovac's at Gaetano's, and the Boneyard's special corespondent's report on further degradation within a once-better Hartford neighborhood.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Worth mentioning that Warren Zevon died 20 years ago today...

Great clip. Was just reading yesterday about the mutual admiration between Letterman and him. And then, of course, ads for this t-shirt pop up on my news feed. And now I want a big dish of beef chow mein.

Capture.JPG

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I took your word for it and had their 'Gabagool' for dinner. It was excellent and the people were great.
Like for profile pic and having 500 posts since 2011.

Reaction Score
Alfredo's Deli or Carbone's Market in torrington are my local favorite..
Claudia's Grinder Shop in Farmington make a solid grinder..
Salerno's Godfather grinder going back 20+ years ago when Alfredo worked there is still the best Italian grinder I've ever had. I probably ate that monster once a week for two years straight. Stuffed to the gills with prosciutto, prosciuttini, capicola and stuffed peppers on a Milite's loaf.

Place was never the same after Tony sold it and Alfredo left to open his own deli.

Torrington had a great lunch game back then with Salerno's, Sheik's, Carbone's, Alfredo's, and The Berkshire.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
BBQ hot take: the sides are what make a place great. I've had the brisket at Franklin and I've had Rodney Scott's and, honestly, I've had BBQ out here that, to me, was basically just as good. Maybe I just don't have a refined barbecue palate.
1) I said Georgia, not anywhere. I had better BBQ in Mass at BT’s. But……
2) I don’t disagree. It was actually the fried okra side and collard greens with smoked ham hocks that I remembered best from that gas station . The chopped Brisket was good ( and I’m not a chopped brisket guy , but that’s how they do in GA. I usually want to see the slices) I don’t consider a refined palate as a barrier for determining great BBQ like other more esoteric forms of cooking. It’s obviously a simple food, and it’s either really bad or really good depending on a cook knows time and temp . If they do, and you’re at a place that doesn’t hold too long, you won’t see a huge difference.

Making great fried chicken ( for example) is way harder than great BBQ

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If in the area, try Gilette Ridge for an excellent Pulled Pork and neat burger with fries. Excellent views and reasonable prices for the eats.

Reaction Score
Avella's Italian in Middletown is really good! A little off the beaten path. They'll make any sandwich you want but their daily specials are creative and delicious!
Co-sign on Avella‘s. I usually go with the Bada Bing, but Everything on the menu is great and prices are very reasonable for what you get.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
BBQ hot take: the sides are what make a place great. I've had the brisket at Franklin and I've had Rodney Scott's and, honestly, I've had BBQ out here that, to me, was basically just as good. Maybe I just don't have a refined barbecue palate.
I'm with you. I could pass on ribs or brisket for the rest of my life and not feel I missed much of anything. But I have had some fantastic sides that you simply wouldn't get without going to a BBQ joint. While I guess the point of eating greens is to be healthy, cooking those weeds in lard or bacon fat makes them something special.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Agreed. Too many BBQ joints have sides that basically suck.

Reaction Score
Like for profile pic and having 500 posts since 2011.

Thanks bud. The pic is an homage to my favorite BY poster. We are basically all filthy casuals compared to him.

Reaction Score
Great cornbread is a highlight of any good bbq meal. Sweet and moist, buttery and firm, laced with jalapeños and more. So many variations, but when done well, they are all out of this world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom