Best Rock n' Roll Piano Performers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Rock n' Roll Piano Performers

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Andy Pratt.
Gotta say it - that a most unexpected 14th post.
It was a great joy to discover that many decades later, my brain snapped to attention and sang along to "Avenging Annie" with full memory of the lyrics after reading it.

A notebook from 1976 that says that I listened to "Resolution" more than any other album that year, but by year's end it had been thoroughly crowded out by Graham Parker, Eno, Wild Tchoupitoulas, and thereafter the sea change that came in the wake of Ramones.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Saw Keith Emerson and 5th Beatle, Billy Preston in Brussels and Steve Winwood at the Verizon Center. Great keyboards.

Reaction Score
Saw Keith Emerson and 5th Beatle, Billy Preston in Brussels and Steve Winwood at the Verizon Center. Great keyboards.
Saw ELP at MSG. If I recall thru my self induced haze, he and his synthesizer came down from the heavens on a platform through a cloud of smoke. He could have been playing chop sticks suspended above the stage, I would not have cared. Although I did not see him in person, Schroeder from Charlie Brown Deserves a shout out too

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Fats Domino, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. I saw Lewis at one of UConn’s Cabernet nights, now several years ago, but well after his prime. Chubby Checker also appeared. Chubby was great, a lot of audience interaction. Lewis, whose piano playing was good, seemed bored, kind of perfunctory and disappointing.
I was there. Hard to get all worked up when.the venue is mostly empty seats.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was there. Hard to get all worked up when.the venue is mostly empty seats.
Wasn’t that empty. Chubby managed ok. Jerry Lee maybe was drunk.

ETA. Any idea if they are still doing those caberet nights?

Reaction Score
Jordan Rudess from Dream Theater - have seen them multiple times here and in Europe.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Wasn’t that empty. Chubby managed ok. Jerry Lee maybe was drunk.

ETA. Any idea if they are still doing those caberet nights?
There were plans to continue it. The pandemic is kind of a roadblock, so we'll see.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Nicky Hopkins is one of my favorites.....

Bot how did we get to page.2 and no one mentioned Keith Emerson? Don't understa d it.
Page 4 and one mentions the late great Warren Zevon? oh my, senility has taken its hold on me. Roland was a warrior, from the land of the midnight sun...

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Saw ELP at MSG. If I recall thru my self induced haze, he and his synthesizer came down from the heavens on a platform through a cloud of smoke. He could have been playing chop sticks suspended above the stage, I would not have cared. Although I did not see him in person, Schroeder from Charlie Brown Deserves a shout out too
Oh what a lucky man you were. #Moog Synthesizer.

Reaction Score
Greatest Rock and roll performer?

Well ,I got... , I got...just one more thing to say ....

Bruce and the E-Street band

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned John Tesh? And no one picked Rick Wakeman? Or Tony Banks?

These are crazy years, indeed.

Reaction Score
A handful of others I've liked that I haven't seen mentioned or missed:

Gary Brooker
George Duke
Ian McLagen
Billy Payne
Bernie Worrell
Andy Clark
Bob Mayo on the keyboards... Bob Mayo.

And Macca ain't bad, either.

I saw Billy Payne several times with Little Feat while Lowell George was still alive and he was fantastic. He could do it all. Ben Tench is outstanding as well, but for strict piano Payne was outstanding. PIck up some old LIttle Feat albums. All you have to do is look at Payne's list of album's played on to realize how highly regarded he is/was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom