Best Rock n' Roll Piano Performers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Rock n' Roll Piano Performers

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We caught Dr. John at a Hamden free show what I thought was a few summers ago. Turns out it was 2007. That was a great time. Great weather, big enthusiastic crowd, couple of beers and a capicola grinder. Dr. John had a full band and put on a heck of a show.
I remember that you and I were both at that show. I brought my whole family, all of whom had been to New Orleans and had seen (and met!) Dr. John several times by then, but we didn't have high hopes for that show because we figured it would be a typically lame Connecticut crowd. Yep, we were wrong. Everyone was up, dancing and hollering for more by the end of the night.

Still hard to believe that he's dead. RIP, Mac.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score

Gotta be Dr John. Love this version with The Band from ‘The Last Waltz’ (which is available on Amazon Prime Video!)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We caught Dr. John at a Hamden free show what I thought was a few summers ago. Turns out it was 2007. That was a great time. Great weather, big enthusiastic crowd, couple of beers and a capicola grinder. Dr. John had a full band and put on a heck of a show.
It was a great show, completely unexpected in the setting at Town Park. IIRC, he even did "I Walk on Guilded Splinters," later in the show, and it was very easy to walk right up next to the stage. The nights before and after were booked north and north of Hamden with market rate ticket prices. It was a real treat that the town booked him.

Reaction Score
Saw Ray Charles in a park down by the pier (or, what used to be the pier) in St. Petersburg... maybe 1993 or '94...great time.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Don't recall yet seeing Steve Nieve, and Bobby Whitlock on "Layla" and Steve Winwood on "Glad" are pretty iconic.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A handful of others I've liked that I haven't seen mentioned or missed:

Gary Brooker
George Duke
Ian McLagen
Billy Payne
Bernie Worrell
Andy Clark
Bob Mayo on the keyboards... Bob Mayo.

And Macca ain't bad, either.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Ray Charles and Billy Preston who used to be the opening act for Ray before he went on his own. Both incredibly talented and entertaining. Ray used to play at the Oakdale and a similar type theater in the round
in Mass (Springfield I think). Had a 17 pc orchestra and revolving stage up close made for great concerts.
Saw him also with Dizzie Gillespie at Carnegie Hall.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Here is a very different LP of Ray Charles with a lot of great jazz musicians including Clark Terry
Genius Plus Soul = Jazz Ray is playing the organ on this LP:

Reaction Score
No, but he's great, too.

I'm a huge sucker for the B3. Hits my sweet spot and there are so many I like. I've only discovered guys like Auger and Earland in the past few years and their work blows me away. I forgot Dr. Lonnie Smith, too, whom I've known of longer and seen several times.

Also David Torkanowksy, Davell Crawford and Henry Butler on piano.
Barbara Dennerlein

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom