Best place to go for vacation on a Caribbean island? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best place to go for vacation on a Caribbean island?

Reaction Score
I just got back from the Caribbean. (Cruise)

In our limited time at each - we liked Tortola (Virgin Gorda), but loved St. Thomas and St. John's.

You can hike, snorkel or hit the beach at all three which is pretty much all we care about. If your preferences are different, I can't help.
Pretty much what we want to do. I've been to St. Thomas so I was hoping to do something different.

Thanks guys for the St. John's suggestion. Sounds like a good option. So I'm guessing you have to fly to St. Thomas and then take a ferry over to St. John's? Only issue is that there are no direct flights from Boston and they all have at least 1 stop and take 8-10 hours each way. And then get on a ferry. So that's a whole day traveling each way as opposed to St. Lucia which has a 4:30 hour direct flight. And the flights to St. Thomas are almost $1500 as opposed to $1000 to St. Lucia. That's an extra $2000 for the 4 of us. I wonder why there is a direct flight to St. Lucia but nothing to St. Thomas. St. Thomas would seem to be a more popular destination. Maybe I'll go see a travel agent at AAA (do they still exist since everything is on the internet these days?!).

Reaction Score
Rather than overpay for exotic flights, can fly to Mexico both coasts very cheaply. Been to many islands and the service in Mexico is the best I've encountered. The workers love their jobs, love to serve, can't do enough. Since I have done the running around in the past to tour and see the sights thing I mostly go to relax and be waited on. They have plenty of choices at all levels and prices of all inclusive so just check out tripadvisor reviews on each one, and some of them are quite small and personalized.

Reaction Score
Hooper Scooper, you probably won't go for this because it takes two flights to get to, but Dominica hits all your requirements (except the easy-to-get-to part). And don't confuse Dominica with the DR. They're very different places.

Dominica is between Guadeloupe and Martinique, but it's much taller than them, so it attracts clouds and is cloaked with mostly untouched rainforest. They say they have a river (on a little island, mind you) for every day of the year. Don't know if that's true, but there are waterfalls everywhere. There are also active volcanoes and four or five summits over 4,000 feet tall.

The beaches are small and memorable, but there are basically no resorts and few tourists. English is the native language and it's a safe enough place that you won't need to worry. You can snorkel and dive and all that, but the interior is what it's all about. The hike up and over a knife-edge ridge to Boiling Lake (the second-largest boiling lake in the world – yes, you could cook an egg in it) is one of the most awesome hikes I've ever done in my life. Totally worth the effort.

About the driving thing – you can rent a car from the tiny airport. (Crazy approach down a jungle valley.) And if you like driving, you'll love driving in Dominica. They helped the U.S. invade Grenada way back when, so we paved all their roads for them. So the roads are great, but they're about a lane and a half wide and they go up and down steep-ass mountain/jungle roads around hairpin blind turns. There was actually a sticker on the glove compartment reminding you to honk loudly before you go screaming around blind turns to let the other person know you're about to crash into them.

Oh, and you have to do it all while driving on the wrong side of the road. It's great fun.

But anyway, if you're looking for a really cool place that's way off the beaten path, look into Dominica. My wife and I loved it.

Reaction Score
I enjoy the British Virgin Islands. Not crowded, few family resorts, beaches, access to sailing, snorkeling, scuba, island hopping.

If you want to save a few bucks on airfare the USVI are also nice. You can access some of the BVI from St. Thomas and St. John as well.

Last trip the missus and I stayed at Long Bay Resort in Tortola. We about this time of the year and there a were exactly 9 other people staying at the resort if the restaurant is any indication. Saw about 4 on the beach. Day sailed to Jost Van Dyke for more of a laid back party vibe. It's the home of the famous Soggy Dollar Bar.

If you want flat, then Aruba or maybe Bonaire is more your speed. Not a ton of kids in either place.

If you pick the right resort almost any island will do. Those that rely on tourism are all fairly safe if you are not careless.

Funny story though our van transfer on Tortola stopped along the way to the resort to pick up another fare. Freaked the wife out a bit, but it turns out to be a fairly common thing on the island. As long as you are with a guide or any hospitality worker you are perfectly fine.
I lived in St Thomas in 77/78. Is the Jost VD bar the one formally known as Foxy's? Great times there. Maybe Foxy was the owner of Soggy Dollar but we always called it Foxy's? Long time ago can't recall all.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I lived in St Thomas in 77/78. Is the Jost VD bar the one formally known as Foxy's? Great times there. Maybe Foxy was the owner of Soggy Dollar but we always called it Foxy's? Long time ago can't recall all.
When we were there in April, the bar was called the Soggy Dollar and you still have to swim/float to the beach (hence "Soggy" dollar) to get the "Painkiller" or other exotic drinks. Beautiful beach with crystal clear water!

Reaction Score
Went to Aruba in April. Got a fully loaded condo for 225.00 a night that had a private courtyard with our own pool, patio and outdoor kitchen. Rented a car and went to the local beach, up past the high rises where all the touristy, "all inclusive" pieces were. Really quiet and peaceful, awesome snorkeling, got fresh fish off the docks every night, cooked in mostly, ate out when we felt like it. Definitely different than a cookie cutter Aruba stay at some Marriott or something.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Went to Aruba in April. Got a fully loaded condo for 225.00 a night that had a private courtyard with our own pool, patio and outdoor kitchen. Rented a car and went to the local beach, up past the high rises where all the touristy, "all inclusive" pieces were. Really quiet and peaceful, awesome snorkeling, got fresh fish off the docks every night, cooked in mostly, ate out when we felt like it. Definitely different than a cookie cutter Aruba stay at some Marriott or something.

I actually passed you and your daughter going the other way in the airport in April, but you were long gone by the time it registered. I was heading to St. Thomas at the same time.

Reaction Score
I would have to say Puerto Rico,,, there so many things to do there and no passport required :).... Have a few hotel reserve for the week in different parts of the Island and is like going to many destination in one week. easy driving from any where, you have Nature Hiking and Rivers.... Camuy Caves, Arecibo Radio Telescope and Crash boat in Arecibo area, Yunque, Seven Seas, Culebra, Snorkeling, Vieques, Mosquito Bay at the Fajardo area, Rivers, Sceanic Drives, Food, Longest Zip line in the World in Central Orocovis area, Desert Reseerve, Parguera and Light House, Beaches in Cabo Rojo area and many more to name.... all this away from San Juan.... just to name a few

Reaction Score
Another vote for Puerto Rico. Oh, sure it's not as glamorous as some others, but:

• Very cheap to get to/stay on (found a great Air BnB last time)
  • American money
  • No passport required
  • Only rainforest in the US (Yucca)
  • Culebra has a great, top 10 beach (Flamenco) and snorkling with sea turtles
  • Old San Juan is a very cool city with lots of great restaurants and culture
  • Easy to get around in a rental

Reaction Score
I've been to every island a few times. No joke... for work. St John is overall my favorite. Punta Cana is horrible. Craziest hotel or resort is definitely Jade Mountain in St Lucia

Jade Mountain - St Lucia's Most Romantic Luxury Resort
How do you get to St. John? Fly to St. Thomas then ferry over?

What about St. Maarten? I was looking at that today. Seems pretty developed. Dutch or French side?

Puerto Rico might be an option but would have to figure out where the best area/places to stay are.

Reaction Score

What about St. Maarten? I was looking at that today. Seems pretty developed. Dutch or French side?

Puerto Rico might be an option but would have to figure out where the best area/places to stay are.
St John, yes ferry over from St Thomas. Not too long.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

The ride over to St. John's is not bad if you get on the ferry at Red Hook, St. Thomas rather than from Charlotte Amalie (take Red Hook to Cruz Bay, St. John's). There is a car barge I read that leaves from Red Hook. In St. John's, a major business is renting small Jeeps to tourists. Careful on the turns...honk in advance or use taxi's.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pretty much what we want to do. I've been to St. Thomas so I was hoping to do something different.

Thanks guys for the St. John's suggestion. Sounds like a good option. So I'm guessing you have to fly to St. Thomas and then take a ferry over to St. John's? Only issue is that there are no direct flights from Boston and they all have at least 1 stop and take 8-10 hours each way. And then get on a ferry. So that's a whole day traveling each way as opposed to St. Lucia which has a 4:30 hour direct flight. And the flights to St. Thomas are almost $1500 as opposed to $1000 to St. Lucia. That's an extra $2000 for the 4 of us. I wonder why there is a direct flight to St. Lucia but nothing to St. Thomas. St. Thomas would seem to be a more popular destination. Maybe I'll go see a travel agent at AAA (do they still exist since everything is on the internet these days?!).

Direct from BDL on Jet Blue. I assume they do the same from Boston.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Fly direct to STT (Jet Blue), Red Hook Ferry to Cruz Bay.

Dutch side is where most of the development is. French side has better beaches and nicer villas for rent (Terres Basses) but it's a half hour drive across so it doesn't matter much. Marigot on the french side is the place to avoid at night. Nothing too bad, but no reason to be there. Also, the french side has the euro-bathing (.)(.), It makes some uncomfortable.

Foxy's and SDB are two different bars on opposite ends of White Bay in Jost Van Dyke, one of the great day trips in the Caribbean.

Reaction Score
I don't recall the trek to St. John to be that bad, and I've done it from Boston and Los Angeles.

Jade Mountain is great. One of the more ridiculous hotels I've stayed at.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Fly direct to STT (Jet Blue), Red Hook Ferry to Cruz Bay.

Dutch side is where most of the development is. French side has better beaches and nicer villas for rent (Terres Basses) but it's a half hour drive across so it doesn't matter much. Marigot on the french side is the place to avoid at night. Nothing too bad, but no reason to be there. Also, the french side has the euro-bathing (.)(.), It makes some uncomfortable.

Foxy's and SDB are two different bars on opposite ends of White Bay in Jost Van Dyke, one of the great day trips in the Caribbean.
Damn, I didn't make it to the other end. Just as well, I'm sure. Had to float/swim back to the boat after visiting the bars.

Reaction Score
The ride over to St. John's is not bad if you get on the ferry at Red Hook, St. Thomas rather than from Charlotte Amalie (take Red Hook to Cruz Bay, St. John's). There is a car barge I read that leaves from Red Hook. In St. John's, a major business is renting small Jeeps to tourists. Careful on the turns...honk in advance or use taxi's.
Agree...ferry from Red Hook. If by chance you are staying at the Cinnamon Bay Campgrounds. Campsites with yards of the beach. Buy your food at the market in Red Hook. You will save a bundle. FYI: talking from 1978 experience.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just got back from the Caribbean. (Cruise)

In our limited time at each - we liked Tortola (Virgin Gorda), but loved St. Thomas and St. John's.

You can hike, snorkel or hit the beach at all three which is pretty much all we care about. If your preferences are different, I can't help.

I think I did a similar cruise in April (Disney). Stopped at Tortola, but we went over to Virgin Gorda. St. Thomas was another stop and we took a catamaran to St. John. St. John was gorgeous for beaches and snorkeling. Virgin Gorda had some amazing geography at the Baths. St. Thomas the most "touristy".

Reaction Score
I don't recall the trek to St. John to be that bad, and I've done it from Boston and Los Angeles.

Jade Mountain is great. One of the more ridiculous hotels I've stayed at.

Stayed at Jade Mountain this past new years. unbelievable. best resort i've ever been to.

Also have a timeshare at the westin in st. john and will be there 8/13 - 8/24. st john is my favorite island for beaches and food. very laid back island. the szechuan tuna at Rhumbline's and mango pale ale from st johns brewers are the 2 things that get me through the winter.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think I did a similar cruise in April (Disney). Stopped at Tortola, but we went over to Virgin Gorda. St. Thomas was another stop and we took a catamaran to St. John. St. John was gorgeous for beaches and snorkeling. Virgin Gorda had some amazing geography at the Baths. St. Thomas the most "touristy".

No, you did the exact same cruise...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe the same excursions too it seems.

Likely - we did the seven-day Eastern Caribbean with the trip to the Baths on Tortola and the full-day sail and snorkel in St. Thomas. It rained most of our day at Castaway Cay, so we basically hung out on the ship that day. No great loss - we've been there six or seven times at this point. I basically like to run the 5K, hit the beach for an hour or two and then head back to the ship while it's empty.

Not sure which trip to take next.

Where was your room on the ship?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Likely - we did the seven-day Eastern Caribbean with the trip to the Baths on Tortola and the full-day sail and snorkel in St. Thomas. It rained most of our day at Castaway Cay, so we basically hung out on the ship that day. No great loss - we've been there six or seven times at this point. I basically like to run the 5K, hit the beach for an hour or two and then head back to the ship while it's empty.

Not sure which trip to take next.

Where was your room on the ship?

Same cruise and also Tortola and the Baths, but we did a catamaran trip to St. John for the snorkeling. Fun guys sailing/owning the boat. 20-something guys from Michigan living the dream.

We were deck 5, pretty close to mid-deck, with a veranda. First time for us, but we went with people who had done it 5-6 times. Good time, but never again during school vacation week, cost is doubled.

Reaction Score
Just got back from Cuba maybe 3 weeks ago and aside from aggressive touts in more touristy areas, I really enjoyed it. Once you get out of Havana it is very easy to find secluded, virgin beaches where you can just enjoy the clear blue and warm waters. Plus it is the safest country in Latin America and I felt safer there than some (well, a lot of) large cities in the states!

However, I would not recommend it until you have a number of Latin countries under your belt and at least decent Spanish speaking skills.

An easier alternative is Tulum, Mexico, which is a less touristy, cheaper (but just as good) more down to earth version of Cancun. There are other smaller beaches to check out if you feel so inclined to get even further off the beaten path.

San Andres, Colombia is a stunningly beautiful island on the Caribbean not too far from Nicragua, actually. Known as the sea of 7 colors, which is totally true, I counted the various tints while on a small boat about 3 km off the main island. Going via Bogota is cheap (via Wingo) and the island is inexpensive with lots to explore. Providencia is a "little brother" island about 3 hour boat ride or 30 to 45 minute plane ride from San Andres and highly recommended. Plus this is one place in Colombia where English is especially common.

Belize has stunning islands and, again, English is common. You could go south to Honduras to stay at some of the islands like Utila or BayIslands/Roatan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom