Best place to go for vacation on a Caribbean island? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best place to go for vacation on a Caribbean island?

Reaction Score
I've been to pretty much every island, well at least 40 of them, for work. and to be honest my favorite place isn't an island either. Its Tulum in Mexico.
Cheap, great beaches, not stuck on a resort(the worst), Lots to explore(Mayan ruins, cenotes), great food(Hartwood is the sister restaurant to my favorite place Brooklyn). Punta Cana, Jamaica, St Thomas are the worst. St Barts, Anguilla, have a good mix. Best beaches are the Bahamas, The Exumas, but their boring and flat as . Sickest hotel, Jade Mountain in St Lucia.

Reaction Score
Have a big anniversary coming up in the spring and would appreciate recommendations about vacation spots for April, 2016.

Criteria: Caribbean island, nice beaches, not a family resort with lots of kids, safe, possibly not completely flat (not a deal breaker).

Thanks!
Agree with Jamaica - specifically Negril Beach (a puddle hopper from Montego Bay) and either Sandals or Swept Away. The latter doesn't even allow kids - and in fact only books couples, so no one is going to hit on your wife while you're hitting golf balls. Also if you call Swept Away directly, you can save the 10% agent's comission

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Thanks, guys! This will be our 30th anniversary. Suggestions so far have been very helpful in terms of getting a better idea of what the options are. We are not necessarily tied to an island, but the beach part will be essential. I will have to confer with my wife about some of the options, as I am more inclined to want to go look at stuff or do things as compared to spending lots of time sitting on a beach.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am more inclined to want to go look at stuff or do things as compared to spending lots of time sitting on a beach.
That's the main reason we chose Costa Rica. You can do the beach every day if you want, but there is a ton of very cool other stuff to see or do.

Reaction Score
My recommendations based on where I've been...

#1, 2, 3 --> Secrets Maroma in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Incredible all around
#4 --> Somewhere in Jamaica... Nicest people by far and the best vibe. We've only stayed in Montego Bay and that area has some nice resorts but the beaches are just ok. The Negril area has the best beaches but the resorts are more rustic. My wife and I love Jamaica; we just haven't found "our" spot just yet.
#5 --> Went to the Majestic Elegance in Punta Cana. Beautiful resorts, beaches eh, and the overall experience just ok. Food was horrific and most of the workers seemed absolutely miserable.

Secrets Maroma was just amazing and is adults only. Incredible place.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
My wife and I honeymooned in St. John and in my opinion, its the coolest place ill probably ever go. We rented a villa named "perelandra" and it was amazing pants. I think we found it through vrbo . com. Lots of hills and most likely youll need to rent a vehicle though. Ohh and you drive on the wrong side of the road but on the same side of the car as in the states (mind bender). Beaches are amazing and you can leave your dress clothes at home. Even the fanciest joint on the island welcomes flip flops and shorts. Island basically shuts down around 8:30 - 9:00 but wakes up pretty early so it fit our lifestyle well.

My favorite beaches were all along the north shore. Trunk bay and Cinnamon bay were beautiful but if you want a little spot where it will be just the two of you and some coconuts, aim for Maho beach. Just stay away from that little bird that takes dumps on peoples heads. Ba$tard.

Congrats on the anniversary!

Edit - What that guy said about Secrets Maroma^. I was there a few months after they first opened and it was wonderful.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I can get you a great deal on a pull out couch in Nassau in November :D

Reaction Score
check out tripadvisor reviews for Jamaica Inn Ocho Rios, a splurge for sure but worth it. Went a number of years ago.

Just went there last winter. It was phenomenal. There is literally close to a 1:1 staff to guest ratio, there are only 50 rooms. It's almost like staying at a huge B&B, they even have a hotel dog (friendly black lab)- the staff remembers your food and drink orders, they have tea time at 3, a formal cocktail hour every night before dinner . . . .. Can't recommend it enough. It's pricey but worth every penny IMO.

http://jamaicainn.com/gallery.php

Reaction Score
Been to St. John, St. Maarten, Provo, Virgin Gorda, St. Bart's and a few others. Favorite island is Anguilla, we've visited 20 times. Pluses - some of the best beaches in the Caribbean (often claimed by many islands, true for AXA); terrific restaurants; great people; quiet; no cruise ships/gambling, now has a Greg Norman golf course, some really nice properties, good chance to see celebs, especially around Xmas. Minuses (from some POVs) very little shopping/no "duty free"; no all-inclusives or time shares; scrubby interior not as attractive as more lush islands like St. John's; snorkeling so/so at best; not especially easy to get to (similar to St. Bart's); not really a party island, tends to be an older crowd.

Agree 100% on Anguilla. Great beaches, great restaurants (although you pay through the nose), laid back vibe, not the most naturally beautiful interior (sort of like Turks and Caicos and St. Croix which i thought were sort of less nice, more developed versions of Anguilla). I can remember driving through what looked like an abandoned subdivision of half-built houses on Anguilla and at the end of the block was a mile of absolutely pristine white sand beach with no one on it.

My favorite spot in the Caribbean is St. John, hands down. I've stayed at Caneel Bay but the real way to do it is to rent a house. Beautiful, lush island with great beaches, enough restaurants to keep you happy for a week, and just a pleasant island vibe. St. Lucia has that same lush feel.

Was not really in love with Trinidad and Tobago (besides the weed, which was insane, and which I inadvertently brought home in my suitcase).

Incidentally, not to hijack this thread, but if anyone's looking for a long weekend destination, you could do a lot worse than San Miguel de Allende, which is not on the ocean but is a very cool spot about 180 miles NW of Mexico City, up in the mountains. Good restaurants, interesting art scene, unesco world heritage site. This hotel in particular was great, can't recommend it enough:

http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/san-miguel-de-allende

Reaction Score
Has anyone been to Tobago?

Why am I thinking ... fairly vacant & sparse population ... great snorkeling and diving ... and rainforest great beaches

Reaction Score
Yup Punta Cana is dirt cheap, and you can find a pretty nice all inclusive resort. However, like you said, you are pretty much stuck in the resort (which if you like the beach and pool mainly, isnt horrible). Also like you said leaving the resort is dicey I did a dune buggey excursion and while everything worked out there were def some iffy places and lots of people bugging you to buy stuff, to the point of harassment (the tour is designed to take you to different places where you can buy things from locals trying to make money, coffee, cigars, art, coconuts, you name it). Also dont fall into those Timeshare talks traps where they offer you a 75 bucks towards an excursion if you sit and talk with them. I ended up at one of those places for about 3 hours before i got my voucher which I didnt even want at that point. Waste of time that i could have spent on the beach and drinking and relaxing.

I really want to check out St. Marten!! I might have to do that for my 10 year anniversary coming up in 2 years. My only fear is expense, is it really pricey to stay there?
St. Martin/Sint Maarten are two Country's that actually share the same island. French/Dutch. Personally I prefer the French side, St. Martin. Dutch side is where the cruise ships stop, a bit more populated with the typical streets full of duty free stores. We stayed at Grand Case Beach Club, low key, incredible restaurants all within walking distance.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Palatine said:
It depends what you want. Get away from everything (Virgin Gorda) , foreign culture, just stay on an all inclusive resort, great scuba/snorkeling (Grand Cayman), upscale spas....different islands have different strengths. If you want to throw in stuff like Mayan ruins, you might consider Belize rather than an island. You should really spend some time thinking about what kind of experience you want.
Or diving. Then you can throw in Cozemel, Bonaire and roaton. I've been to all three to dive but wouldn't go to lounge.

Reaction Score
St. Martin/Sint Maarten are two Country's that actually share the same island. French/Dutch. Personally I prefer the French side, St. Martin. Dutch side is where the cruise ships stop, a bit more populated with the typical streets full of duty free stores. We stayed at Grand Case Beach Club, low key, incredible restaurants all within walking distance.

Yup french is my wife's first language so if we go, we plan to go to that side. I'll have to look into it and see what prices are like though.

Reaction Score
Has anyone been to Tobago?

Why am I thinking ... fairly vacant & sparse population ... great snorkeling and diving ... and rainforest great beaches

It's my least favorite spot I've been in the Caribbean. Didn't love the beaches, not many decent options for food.

Reaction Score
You can Necker Island on the north sound of Virgin Gorda for $40,000 a week. It's Richard Branson's private island but he rents it out when he not there.

Reaction Score
Well of course the number one option would be to move up the celebration a few months and spend it with the boys on Paradise Island! But if the wife won't do that I have to second St Maarten. Great island. Many different beaches. Half Dutch and half French.

Reaction Score
I've been to Couples Tower Isle twice now which is in Ocho Rios and it is a great all inclusive. It has a private beach so there are no vendors to worry about. 4-5 onsite restaurants and the resort itself is pretty small but never feels overcrowded. The resort includes excursions such as daily trips to Dunns River Falls, Catamaran Cruise, Scuba Diving, Glass Bottom Boat, etc. If you are scuba certified all dives are free but even if you are not certified you are allowed to take 1 dive for free after a swim test and lesson in the morning. I'm not certified so that was a great experience. There is also a 'nude island' if thats something that interests you.

If you are a beer drinker you may also want to take that into consideration for your island selection: Jamaica- Red Stripe, D.R.-Presidente, Mexico- Corona

Reaction Score
Here's another vote for Grace Bay on Turks and Caicos. Nicest beach and water I have seen. Pretty quiet so a great place to relax and maybe not the best if you're looking for raucous nightlife.

I really didn't like the DR at all. Seemed seedy and the water was extremely rough (December).

I like to be able to ride around the island a bit so safety is important. I just read a study on the least and most safe. In no particular order, the worst: Jamaica, Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada, Barbados. The best, in no particular order: Turks and Caicos, Cayman, Aruba, St Maarten, BVI.

Reaction Score
Third vote for Anguilla. I went last spring and it was amazing. Very expensive and sort-of hard to get to but well, well worth it. Lots of hotel and restaurant recommendations if you end up going!

Agree 100% on Anguilla. Great beaches, great restaurants (although you pay through the nose), laid back vibe, not the most naturally beautiful interior (sort of like Turks and Caicos and St. Croix which i thought were sort of less nice, more developed versions of Anguilla). I can remember driving through what looked like an abandoned subdivision of half-built houses on Anguilla and at the end of the block was a mile of absolutely pristine white sand beach with no one on it.

My favorite spot in the Caribbean is St. John, hands down. I've stayed at Caneel Bay but the real way to do it is to rent a house. Beautiful, lush island with great beaches, enough restaurants to keep you happy for a week, and just a pleasant island vibe. St. Lucia has that same lush feel.

Was not really in love with Trinidad and Tobago (besides the weed, which was insane, and which I inadvertently brought home in my suitcase).

Incidentally, not to hijack this thread, but if anyone's looking for a long weekend destination, you could do a lot worse than San Miguel de Allende, which is not on the ocean but is a very cool spot about 180 miles NW of Mexico City, up in the mountains. Good restaurants, interesting art scene, unesco world heritage site. This hotel in particular was great, can't recommend it enough:

Reaction Score
I enjoy the British Virgin Islands. Not crowded, few family resorts, beaches, access to sailing, snorkeling, scuba, island hopping.

If you want to save a few bucks on airfare the USVI are also nice. You can access some of the BVI from St. Thomas and St. John as well.

Last trip the missus and I stayed at Long Bay Resort in Tortola. We about this time of the year and there a were exactly 9 other people staying at the resort if the restaurant is any indication. Saw about 4 on the beach. Day sailed to Jost Van Dyke for more of a laid back party vibe. It's the home of the famous Soggy Dollar Bar.

If you want flat, then Aruba or maybe Bonaire is more your speed. Not a ton of kids in either place.

If you pick the right resort almost any island will do. Those that rely on tourism are all fairly safe if you are not careless.

Funny story though our van transfer on Tortola stopped along the way to the resort to pick up another fare. Freaked the wife out a bit, but it turns out to be a fairly common thing on the island. As long as you are with a guide or any hospitality worker you are perfectly fine.
Went to St. John April before last and it was amazing. Crystal clear water and all the residents are so nice. Went to the side of the island, Coral Bay, where most tourists and vacationers don't go and it was that much better. Only problem was that there are soooo many big Sea Urchins that you have to be aware of. Also went on a sailing excursion to Jost Van Dyke which was amazing. Got to meet Foxy and had a few drinks at his bar, such a character. Liked Jost even more than St John, water was even clearer and no urchins, also a lot more laid back. Overall a great trip and would recommend to all.

Reaction Score

It's still nice but my folks tell me San Miguel de Allende used to be a lot cooler, like many places it gets less cool once Americans really discover it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom