OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 210 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
$20???? Are you high? Try $30, $35 or even $40 for a freshly shucked large white clam pie. Three large pie’s with various toppings to feed a large family costs $100 or more. You’re not paying for the best pizza in the state you’re paying for the perception of such. Overrated and overpriced.
Yeah when it comes to freshly shucked clams it’s definitely best to shop for bargains. You might even find some day old ones they want to get rid of.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yeah when it comes to freshly shucked clams it’s definitely best to shop for bargains. You might even find some day old ones they want to get rid of.
Our last time at Pepe's (2019) we ordered two pies for the table. I needed one of them to be a white clam. I still haven't lived that one down. The clams smelled of low tide and tasted like they were in a 5-gallon bucket since the previous week.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Main Street, East Haven. I tried a small Buffalo chicken pizza from Aniello's Pizza (Same plaza as Stop and Shop). Great char and edge crust was excellently crunchy. I will return.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So, I never get to contribute to this thread. But my wife stopped to see friends in CT and brought me back pizza from this place. Quite a nice Gorgonzola, Prosciutto and fig pie.
Love that combo. I had grilled figs stuffed with Gorgonzola and wrapped with prosciutto on Wednesday for lunch; and we had that combo (with baby arugula) on a pizzette as an appetizer at dinner in Providence last week.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
So, I never get to contribute to this thread. But my wife stopped to see friends in CT and brought me back pizza from this place. Quite a nice Gorgonzola, Prosciutto and fig pie. Would have preferred to try a red sauce, but still good.

ughh, figs on pizza, but to be fair, i checked to see if that happens in italia. it does, so there's that.
50 Most Popular Italian Pizzas - TasteAtlas
what i can't seem to find on this list is any pizza with any kind of chicken on it, cuz, you know, chicken on a pizza is absolutely not an italian taste. and, in general, chicken and melted cheese is also not an italian thing. travel around italia for a few weeks, and it's sooo obvious. beeeeyond gross as it sits unhealthily in our digestion. italy knows good and healthy food, especially things that belong, and things that don't, so i'll cut u some slack on the fig thing. taste is truly personal.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Love that combo. I had grilled figs stuffed with Gorgonzola and wrapped with prosciutto on Wednesday for lunch; and we had that combo (with baby arugula) on a pizzette as an appetizer at dinner in Providence last week.
i ate at boccaros a few days ago. good food, no butter served with the bread, only oil. of course, i was all like 'hey, lama! hey! what aboot a little something for the effort?' sumtimes my jokes fall flat on other ears. cracked me up tho. providence is a thing again with the 20 and 30 something crowd. noice.

Reaction Score
i ate at boccaros a few days ago. good food, no butter served with the bread, only oil. of course, i was all like 'hey, lama! hey! what aboot a little something for the effort?' sumtimes my jokes fall flat on other ears. cracked me up tho. providence is a thing again with the 20 and 30 something crowd. noice.
Personally, I ask for olive oil when I am at a fine restaurant and am served their homemade bread. Actually, those restaurants usually bring olive oil anyway.

IMO, it is healthier and tastes better than butter. I have read that too on health websites.

I cook my omelets in olive oil or in Avocado oil (higher boiling point).

To each his own.

À chacun ses goûts in French.

Bon Appetit!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Personally, I ask for olive oil when I am at a fine restaurant and am served their homemade bread. Actually, those restaurants usually bring olive oil anyway.

IMO, it is healthier and tastes better than butter. I have read that too on health websites.

To each his own.

Bon Appetit!
Have you tried this yet? My parents told us about it last year and our whole house is hooked on it--even the pickiest eaters.

79ddc719-d853-4938-bee1-142072980953.42640f8170e3f76a353c74c068fe5807.jpeg

Reaction Score
Have you tried this yet? My parents told us about it last year and our whole house is hooked on it--even the pickiest eaters.

79ddc719-d853-4938-bee1-142072980953.42640f8170e3f76a353c74c068fe5807.jpeg
No, but I will order it.

I eat avocados a lot, so this sounds good.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

To each his own.

Bon Appetit!

here's a fun truth aboot the whole 'health' thing. (i like to cook, and often privately ask the guests 'what's ur current food issues?' before firing up the stove/oven. sometimes, i even say 'mania' instead of 'issues.')
cross reference 'world longevities' with 'world heights' by country. but for a few outliers on the longevity side, the venn diagram intersection largely profiles places where the cow rules. butter, cheese, milk, yogurt, and etc are low calorie (100 per ounce) health foods which can make u live longer and grow taller. don't yell at me, that's what the actual data proves.
no wonder the bible tells a tale of a 'golden calf,' or europe is named after the babe (europa) riding on the bulls back. if unfamiliar, here is a pic of the statue in front of eu hq;
blog_die-verwaltungsbeamten-der-eu.jpg

(pretty lame rendition if ya ask me.)
or the other zillion tales on cow love from history.
up next - panic in the streets aboot the price of almond butter! to listen to that crowd, u'd think it's a human right or sumthin.
dairy rules. tastes great, too. of course, taste is personal.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Oh man .... took a chance and we’re off!

“ k-pop dynamite pie “ :prime beef braised with spicy gochujang & sweet pear, chopped kimchi, fresh mozzarella, baked and topped with fresh cilantro, fresh scallions, and garlic oil

Attachments

• 3043536D-C393-4B3D-9B16-84E8B1168279.jpeg
    3043536D-C393-4B3D-9B16-84E8B1168279.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 117

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

“ k-pop dynamite pie “ :prime beef braised with spicy gochujang & sweet pear, chopped kimchi, fresh mozzarella, baked and topped with fresh cilantro, fresh scallions, and garlic oil

Love all the individual ingredients, but having a hard time reconciling how they all work together, especially kimchi and mozz, a combo I've tried at home and didn't enjoy all that much.

On a second read, am I correct in that there aren't pears or gochujang on the pizza itself, but only in the braising liquid?

August_West

Reaction Score
Love all the individual ingredients, but having a hard time reconciling how they all work together, especially kimchi and mozz, a combo I've tried at home and didn't enjoy all that much.

On a second read, am I correct in that there aren't pears or gochujang on the pizza itself, but only in the braising liquid?
No pears on pizza . In braise. gochu used in braise and a light top squirt.

definitely works.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
If anyone is out in the quiet corner and in need of a New Haven style pie, Sweet Evalina's roadside stand does a pretty good job. I would say the last couple I had were better than Pepe's. Not bad for a place that started off specializing in clam fritters.

For Greek style pizza I like Apollo in South Windham.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Main Street, East Haven. I tried a small Buffalo chicken pizza from Aniello's Pizza (Same plaza as Stop and Shop). Great char and edge crust was excellently crunchy. I will return.
Okaaaay. Went back with same pie ordered. It was like a different pie.

Not acceptable.

Reaction Score
Got the Detroit pizza from Joey’s in West Hartford tonight. Disclaimer: I’ve never had real Detroit pizza.

Really enjoyed it. A lot. Thick and fluffy but chewy with a burned cheese edge. Really good sauce and minimal cheese on top. Is even go as far as saying it was worth a bit of a drive. Unique to anything I know is available around here.
After watching something about it on YouTube, I started making it at home a month ago (usually make pizzas on weekends) and the kids now tell me don't bother making regular pizza...just stick with Detroit-style. I'll still make a small regular pie though off to the side.
I've had one of the Joey Garlics ones and it was good....and as you mentioned with yours, there wasn't much cheese on top....which I don't approve of. When I make it there's def a good amount of cheese on top and obviously around the edges so that it can get that burned cheese taste you mentioned.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

oh, ur 'off,' alright. what's this, things not to put on a pizza pie?

'Kimchi , a staple in Korean cuisine, is a traditional side dish of salted and fermented vegetables, such as napa cabbage and Korean radish, made with a widely varying selection of seasonings including gochugaru (chili powder), spring onions, garlic, ginger, and jeotgal (salted seafood), etc.'
'cilantro' ok, aboot 20% of us are genetically predisposed to taste it as soap.
'sweet pear' what? no sour pear?

apparently, and after years of pizza in korea developing along the lines of native tastes, it seems that there, too, consumer demand is steadily reverting back to the historical mean of sausage, pepperoni, and mushrooms on a base of tomato sauce and scamozza, bcuz it's oh so good and tasty. classic.
the mongol visits there brought black pepper and beef to the table.
our visits there brought burgers, mayo tuna salad, peanut butter, and a whole host of other great 'murican food, including abitz, to their table.
lucky them. now, south koreans physically tower over the northerners. must be the substitution of smoked provolone for that cabbage/radish/chili powder/ginger gross pizza topping.
k-pop dynamite pie? only if used to describe the sounds that ur alimentary canal makes upon ingestion of this hot mess. no thank you. yuck.

Reaction Score
Had to drive up to Boston last Friday and traffic was murder, 4 hours to get from North Jersey to Hartford. Stopped at Pepe's in Buckland Hills because I was starving. Not as good as the original, but better than anything else in area and it's easy-off, easy-on I-84 there. Plus, got watch a bald eagle fly over the mall. Had never seen that before. On the way home Sunday, picked-up Willington on my way home. My wife is in love with their red potato and my son loves that they do not skimp on the bacon when he orders a pinapple bacon pie. I think half a hared pig was on it, LOL. I tried their new buffalo chicken. It was pretty good. Not in the same category as the New Haven joints, but good.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Had to drive up to Boston last Friday and traffic was murder, 4 hours to get from North Jersey to Hartford. Stopped at Pepe's in Buckland Hills because I was starving. Not as good as the original, but better than anything else in area and it's easy-off, easy-on I-84 there. Plus, got watch a bald eagle fly over the mall. Had never seen that before. On the way home Sunday, picked-up Willington on my way home. My wife is in love with their red potato and my son loves that they do not skimp on the bacon when he orders a pinapple bacon pie. I think half a hared pig was on it, LOL. I tried their new buffalo chicken. It was pretty good. Not in the same category as the New Haven joints, but good.

Willi would be the best pizza place in at least 42 states. It's not New Haven, but it's not trying to be.

Reaction Score
Up in Litchfield is a place called Bohemian Pizza. It’s very good, maybe not Sally’s or Modern but still very good. It’s a celeb hangout, saw the actor Mark Ruffalo in there a while back, and Jennifer Garner has been in there as well.

Reaction Score
Not CT, but if you are ever driving down the NJ turnpike and need to eat, delorenzos tomato pies in Robbinsville is phenomenal. I have had all the big name NYC pizza and it’s my favorite pizza. I still need to hit New Haven though.

Reaction Score
Not CT, but if you are ever driving down the NJ turnpike and need to eat, delorenzos tomato pies in Robbinsville is phenomenal. I have had all the big name NYC pizza and it’s my favorite pizza. I still need to hit New Haven though.

El Pres gave it 9.2. That's a really high score so I guess it's legit.

August_West

Reaction Score
Up in Litchfield is a place called Bohemian Pizza. It’s very good, maybe not Sally’s or Modern but still very good. It’s a celeb hangout, saw the actor Mark Ruffalo in there a while back, and Jennifer Garner has been in there as well.
Used to play there a lot a decade or so ago. They fed us with their pizza, it was really good then, glad to hear it still is, because that place has gone through a couple changes since my days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom