OT: - Best Guitar Solos | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Guitar Solos

Reaction Score
To throw a few different names out there...

Essentially anything that any of these dudes have done just slays me...

Jimmy Herring, Steve Howe, Guthrie Govan, Wayne Krantz, Scott Henderson, the criminally underrated/unknown Jack Pearson (was Dickey from 97-99 in ABB), Steve Kimock, and a zillion others for many different reasons that I'm forgetting. The stuff those guys do is just next-level for me for different reasons.

Reaction Score
this blew my mind as I've never in my almost 30 years of playing guitar every considered playing this way.

Reaction Score
“Best” for me is Page in the How the West was Won version of Stairway. My favorite is Clapton in While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Reaction Score
Tom Morello playing "The ghost of Tom Joad or Youngstown.,I really hope everyone knows who Tom Joad is and it doesn't have a lot to do with spirits.

Reaction Score
Two of the first I thought of were Dogs and Comfortably Numb, as was already mentioned. I don't know about the greatest but I always enjoyed the second solo (although both are good) in My Sharona:

Queued up to the solo

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Although he's not my favorite guitarist, Clapton's solo in "Let it Rain" always makes me happy.
Memorable as my first ever regarded-as-favorite guitar solo, summer 1970.

As to agreement that he is not one of my favorites (not saying I don't like him) I love the 3 guitar solos on the Derek and the Dominoes Live version of "Gotta Get Better in a Little While" enough to be satisfied if someone said that I could only ever again listen to one Clapton song.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
While he's a bassist and not a guitarist, Les Claypool has had some of the best solos out there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Memorable as my first ever regarded-as-favorite guitar solo, summer 1970.

As to agreement that he is not one of my favorites (not saying I don't like him) I love the 3 guitar solos on the Derek and the Dominoes Live version of "Gotta Get Better in a Little While" enough to be satisfied if someone said that I could only ever again listen to one Clapton song.
I have that Derek and the Dominoes box set and the disc of jams is my favorite.

The thing about the “Let it Rain” solo is that it still always brings a knee-jerk reaction to do air guitar.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Saw Carlton last summer. As a solo artist, Carlton just builds on the solo throughout. Certainly underappreciated by the masses as are most guys known mostly for jazz.

I'd think there are a number of jazz players could probably outplay the famous rock/blues guys, Wes Montgomery for one (check out "No Blues"). Loved most of Frampton's "Fingerprints" album (except for the unfortunate inclusion of "Black Hole Sun"). I love what guys like Frampton and Gilmour have been doing in their 60s and beyond. Just doing what appeals to them instead of for commercial appeal or for their old fan base.

Lots of guys I love listening to, too many to list, but ones I keep going back to for rock are Bill Nelson's "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape", Zappa on "Montana", Knopfler on several live versions of "Tunnel of Love", and the one I still consider the best of all Gilmour's solos, this unedited version of "Comfortably Numb" from the Pulse tour.

For Knopfler/Straits I prefer the Telegraph Road solos.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Definitely SRV’s Little Wing, for me.

When I was 16 or 17, I was driving down the road spinning the dial, when I landed on WPLR and heard this incredible version of Little Wing. I really just caught the end of the solo. As soon as I got home I called the radio station and asked what version of Little Wing it was. And the guy told me it was SRV.

And that, millenials, is what we did before Shazam!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan. Some of the live versions of Comfortably Numb are incredible. And the studio version of Dogs was a great call. Just beautiful.

I'm also a huge Zappa fan. Even if you don't like the silliness, his guitar solos are insanely good. Just that little burst in Muffin Man, for instance. But I have some live versions of Advance Romance and The Illinois Enema Bandit (yes that's the name of the song) where the guitar solos are mind-blowing. And I could listen to Hot Rats on repeat.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For Knopfler/Straits I prefer the Telegraph Road solos.

Lots of folks prefer that simply due to the solo and I can respect that. I simply like Tunnel of Love as I like the song leading to it much more that Telegraph. The solo is the cherry on top.

Reaction Score
Live Stairway off of Song Remains the Same, and it ain't even close. There are many times when I'm on a flight I'll listen to that solo back to back about 10 times in a row. Page just goes OFF
Saw him during the Song Remains the Same tour at the MSG. Just awesome.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Almost any live recording of SRV doing "Leave my little girl alone"
Almost any recording ever of Gary Moore, though I'm partial to "Still got the Blues"

November Rain, Comfortably Numb, both solid favorites of mine too.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm in the what sounds good camp. I do love SRV. Had the chance to see him at UConn for a Spring Weekend, but at the time didn't like/appreciate him. Sadly for me my appreciation came after his passing.
I'd like to add Duane Allman and Dickey Betts doing "Blue Sky" and Don Felder & Joe Walsh on "Hotel California."

Reaction Score
The two that makes me the happiest are Hotel California and Clapton on While My Guitar Gently Weep - both always gets stuck in my head after I hear them.

Metallica - One and Black Sabbath - Crazy Train also come to mind that weren't said yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom