OT: - Best Guitar Solos | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Guitar Solos

Reaction Score
Almost any live recording of SRV doing "Leave my little girl alone"
Almost any recording ever of Gary Moore, though I'm partial to "Still got the Blues"

November Rain, Comfortably Numb, both solid favorites of mine too.

I second Gary Moore. And nominate Story of the Blues. The man was brilliant.

Reaction Score
This is a two for one with Steve Wariner and Glenn Cambell. Steve on I think a Dano Baritone then to Glenn on a Strat.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Almost an impossible question to answer. I feel Freddie King just continually nails it on three succesive albums:

1972- Texas Cannonball
1973- Woman Across the River
1974- Burglar

Can't pick one song or solo!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Mick Taylor on Can't You Hear Me Knocking is a favorite of mine. My avatar had a nice intro on that song, too. Bobby Keys' solo was excellent and Charlie Watts is magical throughout the entire song. Richards and Taylor are great on Time Waits For No One also.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Freebird the studio version. Yeah, the live versions with the more extended jams sound better, especially when cruising on the road.

Here's the thing. Like most bands Skynyrd was flat broke when they went in on their first studio recording. Ronnie was notorious for long practicing and getting every note down pat so their performances were consistent and always top notch. He used the extended solo at the end of the live performances to give his voice a break because they did a bunch of shows with multiple sets.

So what you get here are lyrics and a coda at the end which had been practiced, refined and honed. This isn't a Duane Allman and Wilson Pickett or Mick Taylor and Bobby Keys just keep the recordings going and finding a pearl.

Tough to find a better combination of lyrics and musicianship off a debut album.

Reaction Score
The track is criminally underexposed. People see who it's by, and assume it's some sort of dance music, which of course, it's a million miles from, like most of their stuff from that era.
People see Funkadelic/Parliament Funkadelic as just some sort of dance music? It's one of the most influential and truly great bands of all-time.

Reaction Score
So much great guitar work. I've been playing guitar for 50 years and I love all this, especially SRV and Gilmore.

Not a big Clapton fan but the one that stops me in my tracks is his work on Crossroads from 1968. Two solos, one 24 bars and one 36 bars. The little riff at the end of the first solo I've never been able to master.

Reaction Score
Because its a mistake.
I don't know, man. It's a beautiful little up and down arpeggio in key. What's he doing there, double picking? The solo is chock full of hammer-ons.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don't know, man. It's a beautiful little up and down arpeggio in key. What's he doing there, double picking? The solo is chock full of hammer-ons.
Yeah , all true, but you can’t get it, and no one can, because he turns the beat around inadvertently

Reaction Score
Memorable as my first ever regarded-as-favorite guitar solo, summer 1970.

As to agreement that he is not one of my favorites (not saying I don't like him) I love the 3 guitar solos on the Derek and the Dominoes Live version of "Gotta Get Better in a Little While" enough to be satisfied if someone said that I could only ever again listen to one Clapton song.[/QUO I have the vinyl.

Reaction Score
Achingly beautiful.
Jeff's tribute to the late great totally underrated Roy Buchanan.
I dare you to find a better solo. Everything he did on this was sans pedals. Just volume controls, pinch harmonics, lots of bends 5 6 7 step bends.

Reaction Score
Lots of great suggestions on this thread! Love the Kid Charlemagne shout-out...still a go-to when I need a pick me up (which was quite often this season). Try the last minute of BTO’s Welcome Home.....not the longest solo, but the pickin’ is so pure

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom