Best Dive Bars | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Best Dive Bars

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Rosal's nickel night was Wednesday, I remember because we would head there right after Hebrew 298 "Sex in the Old Testement," which I was only lucky enough to get in because I played a sport. Wednesday 6-9 with the rabbi, class was all athletes, we got priority on classes and add-drop so not to interfere with practice ?

Reaction Score
Rosal's nickel night was Wednesday, I remember because we would head there right after Hebrew 298 "Sex in the Old Testement," which I was only lucky enough to get in because I played a sport. Wednesday 6-9 with the rabbi, class was all athletes, we got priority on classes and add-drop so not to interfere with practice ?
Sounds similar to the Kiddie Lit class in complexity that some in my dorm took.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Georgetown Saloon - townie bar located in Georgetown, which is a borough on the corner of Redding, Wilton, Ridgefield and Weston. Depending on when you would go during its run between 1978 and 2015, you might say "this place is a total -hole" or you might say "this place is really nice". And those two visits could occur like two months apart. I probably only went 15 times in my life, but I never understood the wild swings in appearance, cleanliness and quality of food.

It had an eclectic clientele, so you could see anything from a pickup truck to a BMW to a 15 year old beater to a Harley to a police patrol car parked in front. There would be an off-duy (I think) cop drinking at the bar about 1/3 of the time I went. I never parked in front, because the road was really tight and I was told there were a lot of car accidents from people backing out and getting clipped by some drunk from one of the area bars. The food could run the gamut from decent to bad depending on who was working in the kitchen.

It qualified as a dive bar because A) it was generally pretty dirty, B) it was on the bottom floor of a building that looked like it was about to collapse, and C) a large percentage of its clientele on any given night were alcoholic regulars. It would get some decent musical acts. I didn't see him myself, but I believe Keith Richards played there a few times.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Georgetown Saloon - townie bar located in Georgetown, which is a borough on the corner of Redding, Wilton, Ridgefield and Weston. Depending on when you would go during its run between 1978 and 2015, you might say "this place is a total -hole" or you might say "this place is really nice". And those two visits could occur like two months apart. I probably only went 15 times in my life, but I never understood the wild swings in appearance, cleanliness and quality of food.

It had an eclectic clientele, so you could see anything from a pickup truck to a BMW to a 15 year old beater to a Harley to a police patrol car parked in front. There would be an off-duy (I think) cop drinking at the bar about 1/3 of the time I went. I never parked in front, because the road was really tight and I was told there were a lot of car accidents from people backing out and getting clipped by some drunk from one of the area bars. The food could run the gamut from decent to bad depending on who was working in the kitchen.

It qualified as a dive bar because A) it was generally pretty dirty, B) it was on the bottom floor of a building that looked like it was about to collapse, and C) a large percentage of its clientele on any given night were alcoholic regulars. It would get some decent musical acts. I didn't see him myself, but I believe Keith Richards played there a few times.
About as good a description of the place as possible. My fantasy league held a couple of drafts there and I'd been a number of times after softball games. I'd hesitate to call it a true dive, but it could be on any given night if the customer demographics were right.

Redding had another interesting place, Bachleor's II, which became the Redding Roadhouse. In it's former incarnation it was mostly a bar, old locals ordering boilermakers weren't uncommon, nor were people nodded out at the bar - in the afternoon. But the decor and general upkeep kept it from being a true dive. I recall a time when three of us were at the bar and one ordered a flaming arrow, which he proceeded to spill on the bar, leading to a trail of flames that was headed right toward a guy who'd nodded out, but we got there in time to prevent the immolation.

Reaction Score
Groggy Frog in Southington. Looks like a biker's bar with the Harleys lining the outside wall but the place has some of the best wings around.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

Ah, yes! Used to got there a lot when I lived in Wilton.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What the take here on the Monkey Farm in Old Saybrook? I went there last year before a Kate show and it fit the bill for me. Since I've heard love and hate from folks that go more often.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Grew up in Meriden home of the dives!!
Hanover house! The quasi private club of the Diablos biker gang. In the 90s they let us use it as a free band rehearsal space on Wednesday nights. Nice guys. The guy who was our benefactor for that access then went away for murder and we couldn’t use it any longer.

do I win the dive bar contest? :)

Reaction Score
Hanover house! The quasi private club of the Diablos biker gang. In the 90s they let us use it as a free band rehearsal space on Wednesday nights. Nice guys. The guy who was our benefactor for that access then went away for murder and we couldn’t use it any longer.

I used to see punk shows there in the late 90s and early 2000s. Don't think they served alcohol.

Reaction Score

Went there for live music circa 1982. Was nearby a couple years ago at a bar possibly called the Lumberjack?

August_West

Reaction Score
I used to see punk shows there in the late 90s and early 2000s. Don't think they served alcohol.
Yeah they had their liquor license pulled at that point.

Reaction Score

No prizes for you. Hanover House wasn't connected to Jackie B/Diablos at all from what I recall. It was owned by Tommy Boehle for a long time and I spend many nights in the 70's/80's there never a trace of a Diablo. There was an extra room they hardly ever used back then though so could be you were there anyway using that peace somehow? They did have a bar on the other side of the Meriden Hospital on Cooke Avenue, not far from the HH, as well as a spot on or off of Lewis Ave or Springdale Ave. I didn't recall either of their names but already have the feelers out. The one on Cook wasn't even actually a bar but it opened for "after hours" when all others closed and if you knew someone you could drink till whenever. I visited the place a few times on Fridays after the 2am closing of the Hanover House, still wound up.

Also near their clubhouse on Grove was Fortes Cafe which I also frequented as I knew the owner well ,played golf with him as well as bartended for him in the late 70's 80's when needed. (Also lost money to him LOL)..anyway this was a block from the actual clubhouse and the Prez Jackie B would occasionally stop in. But if any of his guys came in to the bar and caused any trouble we called him and he would pull them out by the hair. He was very good about keeping things in order in his neighborhood. Most were good guys, rarely an issue.

But these were some of Meridens finest dives no doubt!!

Reaction Score

I don't know erxactly when but the Hanover House was torn down I think well before the 2000's. Could be wrong but pretty sure in the 90's, although the clientele certainly could've changed to try to appease the new world.

Reaction Score
I don't know erxactly when but the Hanover House was torn down I think well before the 2000's. Could be wrong but pretty sure in the 90's, although the clientele certainly could've changed to try to appease the new world.
Mau - I posted a link from setlist.fm above. It's got a huge list of shows at HH, 239 Hanover Street from 1997-2001. Same place???

Reaction Score
Mau - I posted a link from setlist.fm above. It's got a huge list of shows at HH, 239 Hanover Street from 1997-2001. Same place???

Yep looks like it alexd. What were the shows? Funny how much Meriden changed during that period even the dives tried to change with the times I guess as Fortes changed names around then and had the "younger" crowd experience. I wasn't around much after '90 so know very little about it.

Reaction Score

was there many times in its first few years. HS friends were early employees. good times.

Reaction Score

Not sure about the contest but you reminded me about the Diablos. I was at either the Wreck or Blue Sands back in the early 80s at Misquamicut. Some of the Diablos were collecting the cover, not sure if the owner was aware.

August_West

Reaction Score
No prizes for you. Hanover House wasn't connected to Jackie B/Diablos at all from what I recall. It was owned by Tommy Boehle for a long time and I spend many nights in the 70's/80's there never a trace of a Diablo. There was an extra room they hardly ever used back then though so could be you were there anyway using that peace somehow? They did have a bar on the other side of the Meriden Hospital on Cooke Avenue, not far from the HH, as well as a spot on or off of Lewis Ave or Springdale Ave. I didn't recall either of their names but already have the feelers out. The one on Cook wasn't even actually a bar but it opened for "after hours" when all others closed and if you knew someone you could drink till whenever. I visited the place a few times on Fridays after the 2am closing of the Hanover House, still wound up.

Also near their clubhouse on Grove was Fortes Cafe which I also frequented as I knew the owner well ,played golf with him as well as bartended for him in the late 70's 80's when needed. (Also lost money to him LOL)..anyway this was a block from the actual clubhouse and the Prez Jackie B would occasionally stop in. But if any of his guys came in to the bar and caused any trouble we called him and he would pull them out by the hair. He was very good about keeping things in order in his neighborhood. Most were good guys, rarely an issue.

But these were some of Meridens finest dives no doubt!!
It was. But I ain’t mentioning names. I already said to much.......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom