Best Connecticut Players to not attend Uconn | The Boneyard

Best Connecticut Players to not attend Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So..Im depressed because i think Paschal Chukwu is going to Providence...which has me thinking what other homegrown talent have we let go on to play at schools other than Uconn

Kris Dunn

Dave McClure

Ricardo Ledo (pg)

Ryan Gomes

Kuran Iverson

Marcus Camby

No matter how you look at it keeping homegrown talent in state is important. We've let some great players cross the borders and i'm pissed we're letting another get away.

Who else has jumped ship on CT in the modern Husky era?

Reaction Score
You didn't seriously put Ryan Gomes on that list!!!!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
So..Im depressed because i think Paschal Chukwu is going to Providence...which has me thinking what other homegrown talent have we let go on to play at schools other than Uconn

Kris Dunn

Dave McClure

Ricardo Ledo (pg)

Ryan Gomes

Kuran Iverson

Marcus Camby

No matter how you look at it keeping homegrown talent in state is important. We've let some great players cross the borders and i'm pissed we're letting another get away.

dunn-from va orginally
mcclure-whatever
ledo-from ri, was never going to qualify
gomes-famous jc rant
iverson-was not going to qualify with susan and wardes ivy standards
camby-famous calipari story

i mean atleast mention the kid who played at nd 2 years ago and the kid at shu among others. we recruit on a different level. keep only the home grown best home. i saved your asz a chewing. you own me the 1st haha on the 19th thursday. your welcome

Reaction Score
Wait, can someone remind me why Jimmy C didn't get Gomes to sign?

;)

Reaction Score
John Pinone, John Garris, Michael Adams, John Bagley, Charles Smith, Rod Foster, Tharon Mayes, Jordan Williams, Will Solomon, Jay Murphy, Vinny Baker, Chuck Aleksinas (went to Kentucky first), Vinny Del Negro, Mike Gminski, Rick Mahorn, Wes Matthews, Calvin Murphy, Harold Pressley, Tyson Wheeler, Sly Williams

Reaction Score
Thanks holmes. PG for post grad here in CT. i guess i should have clarified born and raised or schooled in state

I see but I wouldn't bother with listing prep school kids, that list is a mile long with all of the D1 kids who have passed through the preps here in the state. There's really no attachment to CT like someone who was born and raised here or spent the formative years here like Drummond.

Reaction Score
Just saying with CT being a small state it's alot more important to keep local talent Guess it bothers me more than y'all to see a guy play all his HS ball here top 60 talent in the country and cross the border to play for ED. sorry im sour about it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Kris Dunn

Dave McClure

Ricardo Ledo (pg)

Ryan Gomes

Kuran Iverson

Marcus Camby

UConn recruited Dunn and McClure. Who knows what Dunn will turn out to be, but McClure was a flat-out failure - he averaged two points a game at Duke. Russell Robinson was a far greater loss that season - as was Jason Rich and Isiah Swann.

Despite ridiculous assertions to the contrary, Ledo, Iverson and Camby went to the only schools willing to chance admitting them. Ledo never played a minute and wasn't ' home grown' - he's a Rhode Island kid. Camby was what he was and Iverson could go either way.

Gomes, again, went to the only school willing to accept him for different reasons - the way he turned out, that was a pure miss for UConn.

Reaction Score
huskyfandan -

Regarding "the kid from ND"...yout have to look at the whole story, Tim Abromaitis played in a very weak conference while at Farmington HS and made visits to Nothwestern, Penn, Princeton & William & Mary when he got the ND offer out of the blue. He's an extremely bright guy, but there was no indication he'd devlop like he did over 5 years.

You could almost put Camby in the same category. He was a mid level D1 prospect until his Sr year of HS.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
huskyfandan -

Regarding "the kid from ND"...yout have to look at the whole story, Tim Abromaitis played in a very weak conference while at Farmington HS and made visits to Nothwestern, Penn, Princeton & William & Mary when he got the ND offer out of the blue. He's an extremely bright guy, but there was no indication he'd devlop like he did over 5 years.

You could almost put Camby in the same category. He was a mid level D1 prospect until his Sr year of HS.

i realize that, but for the purpose of hype's thread.....hes just mad paschal is going north and that as prep guys we cant change that.

Reaction Score
dunn-from va orginally
mcclure-whatever
ledo-from ri, was never going to qualify
gomes-famous jc rant
iverson-was not going to qualify with susan and wardes ivy standards
camby-famous calipari story

i mean atleast mention the kid who played at nd 2 years ago and the kid at shu among others. we recruit on a different level. keep only the home grown best home. i saved your asz a chewing. you own me the 1st haha on the 19th thursday. your welcome
Kris Dunn was born in CT. and moved back to CT. When he was like 8 years old, I think it's safe to say he is a Connecticut kid.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Kris Dunn was born in CT. and moved back to CT. When he was like 8 years old, I think it's safe to say he is a Connecticut kid.

nope hes a friar

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
John Pinone, John Garris, Michael Adams, John Bagley, Charles Smith, Rod Foster, Tharon Mayes, Jordan Williams, Will Solomon, Jay Murphy, Vinny Baker, Chuck Aleksinas (went to Kentucky first), Vinny Del Negro, Mike Gminski, Rick Mahorn, Wes Matthews, Calvin Murphy, Harold Pressley, Tyson Wheeler, Sly Williams

Nice list, incuding those from the pre-modern era.
Ironic that the post got a Like from superjohn, but didn't include Williamson

Reaction Score
Super John Williamson, Jiggy Williamson and Bruce Campbell are a few New Haven kids UConn missed out on. Also, wasn't there a big time scorer from New Haven who played with Shaq at LSU?

Reaction Score
We've made our success on finding the best players - plucking some great ones out of other people's states. Ray Allen could have worked out at South Carolina, Caron at Wisconsin, El-Amin at Minnesota, Travis Knight at Utah, Ollie at UCLA, Donny Marshall at Washington, Rip at Nova or Penn State, Emeka at Texas, Ben or Kemba at St. Johns, Rashad Anderson at Florida, Sticks at Alabama, Lamb at Virginia, Rudy or Dyson at Maryland. And on and on.

I'm not one who thinks that it is really a big deal to let a state kid get away. It was when Smith and Burrell signed and we were trying to build something - and maybe with someone like Drummond, we couldn't let him get away since he was so closely tied to our state. But if there are two top 75 guys we're looking at - one from Waterbury and one from Bora Bora, and the Bora Boran fits our needs better, then I say rah rah Bora Bora.

What I will say, is that sometimes I would rather get a state kid on the end of the bench who is thrilled to be a role player for StateU, then find the Darius Smith/Jamaal Trice/Scott Haralson/Chad Wise types who wallow for a year or two and go home.

Reaction Score
Super John Williamson, Jiggy Williamson and Bruce Campbell are a few New Haven kids UConn missed out on. Also, wasn't there a big time scorer from New Haven who played with Shaq at LSU?

Maurice Williamson.

Reaction Score
Musapha Heron is a CT. kid we will want.

just missed the cut for the U16 FIBA team. where exactly in CT is he from, I've heard West Haven, Meriden, and Waterbury all thrown around.

Reaction Score
Who should have JC dropped for Gomes? Oakafor or Gordan?

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
IMO, the 3 best in this category are Calvin Murphy, Sly Williams and Mike Gminski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom