best beach in CT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

best beach in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We own a summer home on the ocean in Matunuck near the Ocean Mist and it is very much underrated...a great little beach. :)
As @mauconnfan knows, we usually stay next door on Green Hill Beach, also a great little beach.

As for the Ocean Mist, it's an annual ritual for us to have breakfast there, where the Crabby Benny, a side of corned beef hash and two spicy Bloodies is now my usual. One of the best things about Covid was being able to reserve a table on-line in advance this year. We got the end corner table outside nearest the bar and it was perfect--especially for my three daughters to ogle the surfer boys.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but we got pizza one night from Matunuck Pizza Pie Co. and it was shockingly decent...for RI pizza.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Is it still a dry town?
Yep...
but I'm there to paddlboard in the bay, bike around the island, check out the waves (in still-good water temp?), do some recon ranging Cape May to AC for future visits, and, mostly, be with beloved family and 2 great dogs (one of whom just started chemo for the second time).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Soundview is not in East Lyme, it is in Old Lyme and probably the least pretty beach in Old Lyme but I am happy to concede that little slice of OL beach to the out of town ppl if it means having the rest largely free of out of town ppl. OL has some beautiful beaches especially when you catch a sunset in early May or late September once the crowds are gone.
The two beach clubs in Old Lyme have beautiful beaches, but alas one needs to be a member or guest to use them.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was at Fort Trumbull at low tide a month ago, and the sand is just hard enough for a nice walk. Very nice beach.
Exactly.
Before this thread, I didn't know the name of where I've been walking east from Silver Sands. @imno1 's description sounded so nice, that I looked it up, and voila!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The pandemic has kept me close to home and given me the chance to recognize that Hammonasset is pretty grand in its own way.

My decade in Bellport, NY, with a village ferry delivering residents to the center of the Fire Island Wilderness - pretty pure nature with high dunes, fine sand beaches, body rideable waves, and a few hundred people across a 7-mile stretch on the busiest days of the year - could have spoiled me, but I remain wowed by all manner of saltwater, continental coast.

I look forward to some 'real' ocean time in a couple weeks in OCNJ.
Just got back from OCNJ. It was our 4th summer running and a good time as always.

They were dredging the beachhead along the boardwalk, and probably still are. So be careful where you set up. The silt travels quite a few blocks and my kids came out of the water dirtier than they went in. It actually makes the water quite unappealing, but evidently it protects the beaches against erosion.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Is it still a dry town?
There are two "Crazy Bruce" sized liquor stores on the west (Somers Point) end of the Bridge. Anyone who has set foot on a college campus knows how to get around the "dryness" of the island.

Reaction Score
There are two "Crazy Bruce" sized liquor stores on the west (Somers Point) end of the Bridge. Anyone who has set foot on a college campus knows how to get around the "dryness" of the island.
Sounds like a yes? Didn't mean to offend. Enjoy your vacation and have one for me 25!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sounds like a yes? Didn't mean to offend. Enjoy your vacation and have one for me 25!
No offense taken. OCNJ is a great time for a week. We've never let the fact that it's dry affect our vacation. In fact, it was a bit easier this year because few places were dine in. We either made dinner at the condo or ordered out.

Reaction Score
We own a summer home on the ocean in Matunuck near the Ocean Mist and it is very much underrated...a great little beach. :)

I'm in Mary Carpenters for the summer. Love the area, a little strange like everything else this year but still a nice getaway on weekends as well as the occasional weekdays. Will be there today tonight as I need to see a customer in North Kingstown this afternoon so why go home? LOL

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

I was skeptical the first time I was invited to a friend's families beautiful home in Ocean City. Now I'm a believer. Fantastic beach. Close to A.C. The fact it's dry keeps the Jersey out of the Shore

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was skeptical the first time I was invited to a friend's families beautiful home in Ocean City. Now I'm a believer. Fantastic beach. Close to A.C. The fact it's dry keeps the Jersey out of the Shore
Not unlike Ocean Grove being next to Asbury Park

tv

Reaction Score
As @mauconnfan knows, we usually stay next door on Green Hill Beach, also a great little beach.

As for the Ocean Mist, it's an annual ritual for us to have breakfast there, where the Crabby Benny, a side of corned beef hash and two spicy Bloodies is now my usual. One of the best things about Covid was being able to reserve a table on-line in advance this year. We got the end corner table outside nearest the bar and it was perfect--especially for my three daughters to ogle the surfer boys.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but we got pizza one night from Matunuck Pizza Pie Co. and it was shockingly decent...for RI pizza.
@8893
We received some pictures of heavy flooding that closed Matunuck Beach Road and inundated the seasonal homes in the area. You guys OK? Rumor has it that the area will get heavy rain again this weekend. Hope that all of your possessions are safe.
Wife and I are heading up there on Monday, as we have to deal with some leaks, etc. Fingers are crossed for you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom