best beach in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

best beach in CT

Reaction Score
I like calf pasture in Norwalk because of the islands off shore...makes it feel like a lagoon. Bluff pt has a nice stretch but you’ll have to walk almost a mile to get there.....my favorite RI beach is 2nd beach just past Newport. Reminds me of a New Jersey beach. But I love VA beach if you’re up for a 7 hr drive. BIG waves, no shells, no seaweed. Just a sonic boom every 20 min or so...

Reaction Score
The beach at Bluff Point SP in Groton is nice but it is a mile from the parking lot. Walk or better yet bike to the end of the main road from the parking lots and walk west. Close to RI so the water is clean. Not many people.
Rocky Neck is nice on non sold out days.

Reaction Score
Not great waves. So if you are a surfer not for you. I think the sound has gotten incredibly cleaner since I was a kid. Really really nice.

We spend a lot of time at family home (not my direct) in Milford. i got addicted to private beaches.
If you have a friend with access to a private beach, you will love it.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
CT shore is notorious for excluding non-residents, whether its beach access or parking - very indicative of class/race exclusion in my opinion. The state shores should be open to the state residents. The whole CT shore should be a public park.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Not great waves. So if you are a surfer not for you. I think the sound has gotten incredibly cleaner since I was a kid. Really really nice.

We spend a lot of time at family home (not my direct) in Milford. i got addicted to private beaches.
If you have a friend with access to a private beach, you will love it.
I would hate it. Sounds like a snobotorium.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Never understood why everyone complains about CT beaches not having waves. I could understand if you were a kid going boogie boarding or something but I don't get why it's that big of a deal. That being said I'm not really a beach person at all. A friend of mine has a house in Old Saybrook. The beach there seems more than adequate.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never understood why everyone complains about CT beaches not having waves. I could understand if you were a kid going boogie boarding or something but I don't get why it's that big of a deal. That being said I'm not really a beach person at all.
I’m 54 and I’m still a kid going boogie boarding. It’s one of my favorite things in the world. And by far my favorite thing to do at the beach.

And I don’t like swimming in still water.

And waves are cool to watch. Almost like watching fire. Very meditative. Also unpredictable at times, which makes it exciting.

Knowing that we are buffered by Long Island also makes it feel less majestic than oceanfront places feel to me.

Reaction Score
Used to go to Cape Cod every summer . Great lots of memories. Hammonasset and Megs Point with the dog now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
would sooner drink the water from Long Island Sound than go swimming anywhere off Mass

Sharks only an issue on the arm, mostly the outer side. Some in the bay, but they aren’t risking Suffocation in the Brewster Flats. Nantucket sound and Buzzards bay seem fine.

I think those seal colonies will outgrow the outer cape eventually. Block island could be the next spot, along with Maine. So the RI coast could be impacted. We will know when @8893 feels that bump while boogie boarding.

Reaction Score
CT beach > no beach. I do agree that CT probably has the least desirable beaches of any coastal state but I do like to go down to FT Trumbull during low tide and walk the sand bars.

Reaction Score
Sound View in East Lyme is probably the best bet.
Soundview is not in East Lyme, it is in Old Lyme and probably the least pretty beach in Old Lyme but I am happy to concede that little slice of OL beach to the out of town ppl if it means having the rest largely free of out of town ppl. OL has some beautiful beaches especially when you catch a sunset in early May or late September once the crowds are gone.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1599995653460.jpg
    FB_IMG_1599995653460.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 161
Reaction Score
CT beach > no beach. I do agree that CT probably has the least desirable beaches of any coastal state but I do like to go down to FT Trumbull during low tide and walk the sand bars.
Ya, totally not desirable. That's ok, go to RI, the lot of you, more room for me to enjoy this!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1600010465673.jpg
    FB_IMG_1600010465673.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 155

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Malibu, great when the smoke clears.

We live at the CT shore. Virtually the whole CT shore line is great for kids and non swimmers , No heavy surf, no undertow. Obviously you don’t get the roar of the waves or great sand, but it’s not quite the downer some suggest. And some are pretty scenic.

Reaction Score
Soundview is not in East Lyme, it is in Old Lyme and probably the least pretty beach in Old Lyme but I am happy to concede that little slice of OL beach to the out of town ppl if it means having the rest largely free of out of town ppl. OL has some beautiful beaches especially when you catch a sunset in early May or late September once the crowds are gone.

Brain fart on the location, but he didn’t say he was looking for pretty, he said he was looking for a “vibe“. I took that to mean a party scene, which Sound View satisfies. I personally can’t stand the place.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CT beaches are the worst. If only the state had beautiful white sand beaches like this.

1600019265988.png

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sharks only an issue on the arm, mostly the outer side. Some in the bay, but they aren’t risking Suffocation in the Brewster Flats. Nantucket sound and Buzzards bay seem fine.

I think those seal colonies will outgrow the outer cape eventually. Block island could be the next spot, along with Maine. So the RI coast could be impacted. We will know when @8893 feels that bump while boogie boarding.
I was in vineyard late last summer . Great whites at south beach shut it down for 2 days. So yeah. Blocks next.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Try to figure out East Lyme vs. old Lyme sometime . The pavilion at rocky neck is literally a path in my back yard I have an old Lyme zip code.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m 54 and I’m still a kid going boogie boarding. It’s one of my favorite things in the world. And by far my favorite thing to do at the beach.

And I don’t like swimming in still water.

And waves are cool to watch. Almost like watching fire. Very meditative. Also unpredictable at times, which makes it exciting.

Knowing that we are buffered by Long Island also makes it feel less majestic than oceanfront places feel to me.

Nothing better than hanging out about hip deep with a cold drink in hand while waves slap against you. Get a bit warm? Dive through the waves and cool off for a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom