best beach in CT

Reaction Score
summer jersey beaches are crazy
i’ve been to the new haven & milford beaches never got that vibe
what are the best CT spots?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No waves = no vibe.

I have lived on the CT shore almost all of my life and I still don’t consider it to be real “beach.” I only swim at ocean beaches.

If it’s a scene you want, Rocky Neck or Hammonasset.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
None...go to RI.
I never go to any of the CT beaches either. Its a lot more worth your time to drive the extra distance and go to Rhode Island. Misquamicut is nice, but it gets way to crowded on the weekends. Watch Hill is nice as well. But, my favorite is Matunuck. A nice summer Saturday for me is spending a few hours at the Matunuck beach, then eating dinner at Matunuck oyster bar.

Reaction Score
there’s no AC north of nyc. that’s the problem. small town beaches =small town mentality

96C6B825-DF5F-4E7E-BC1B-499DB170C122.jpeg

Reaction Score
summer jersey beaches are crazy
i’ve been to the new haven & milford beaches never got that vibe
what are the best CT spots?
Now is the best time for swimming. That will last til mid October. Best water is in eastern Ct. Start in Waterford and work east to the RI line. The only one I would not recommend is Esker Point in the Noank/Groton Long Point section of Groton. There is also Bushy Point that can be accessed through Bluff Point State Park in town . Somewhat rocky but improves the more you walk west and there is also the Pequonnock River side. The water is clean but there are no amenities.

Reaction Score
I never go to any of the CT beaches either. Its a lot more worth your time to drive the extra distance and go to Rhode Island. Misquamicut is nice, but it gets way to crowded on the weekends. Watch Hill is nice as well. But, my favorite is Matunuck. A nice summer Saturday for me is spending a few hours at the Matunuck beach, then eating dinner at Matunuck oyster bar.

Also known as South Kingstown Beach....Ts5034 just provides you a very good plan for a day. Maybe an outdoor cocktail at the Pub or Ocean Mist before you head to the Oyster Bar

Reaction Score
Also known as South Kingstown Beach....Ts5034 just provides you a very good plan for a day. Maybe an outdoor cocktail at the Pub or Ocean Mist before you head to the Oyster Bar
Use to love drinking at Ocean Mist. Also The Ocean House when it was a dump. Remember when places served complimentary salted nuts at the bar?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Misquamicut if you want to booze and party.

Newport 1st beach sometimes turns into a BYOB booze fest.

I go to Naragansett to surf, if you have a family it looks like a solid beach day spot.

Matunuck or anything by there just go O Mist if you want to booze just don’t fall off the deck.

If the waves are firing don’t go to the beach at all leave that for me;)

Reaction Score
Conn. beaches are up and down. Hammonasset went from being mucky in the 80s to relatively clean in the 90s, back to mucky now in the last decade, & they don't allow the kids to boogie board.

My kids like Misquamicut a lot for the waves, but I've always been partial to places like Napatree in RI and also Blue Shutters Beach (but you have to get there by 9:30 to find a spot in the parking lot). Napatree parking is a paint to as it will cost you plenty ($30) but it's conveniently located so you can leave your car all day, have drinks in the little town, head back to the beach, etc.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Watch Hill has always had the biggest waves when I’ve gone to the RI shore. I love to boogeyboard some 4-8 foot waves. No restaurants on the water and the parking can fill up quick.

Misquamicut has the best food/drink options, and never runs out of parking.

Narragansett has a good mix of everything, but you have to pay to get on the sand. And you have to hide the beers to bring em in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Funny I didn’t open the thread because I planned to answer none of them (even though I haven’t been to one since the 80s). And you all did me proud. I will stick to Old Silver in Falmouth. Love the sunsets.

Best beach for your enemies, Race Point.

DE33785D-E619-481A-8871-AF5F781C234E.jpeg

Reaction Score
The CT shoreline is pretty and scenic, but the beaches aren't great. Water is a lot cleaner than it was, though.

If you're looking for a vibe, Sound View in East Lyme is probably the best bet. The most scenic beach is Waterford Beach.

But really, if you want to go to the beach, drive to RI.

Reaction Score
Tod's Point in Old Greenwich opens to the public on November 1st and dogs are allowed during that time too.

Beautiful to walk in the autumn and winter. It’s on a peninsula so miles of shoreline and acres of wooded trails, even stone ruins of an old mansion to walk through. Great views of lower Manhattan.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom