Best Bad Movies | The Boneyard

Best Bad Movies

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have never seen "The Room". It looks incredible.

My best bad movie is Ishtar.

Reaction Score
So I came in here to say The Core, a truly horrendous movie that's so bad it made me start laughing at it, and I tried to remember who was the leading man opposite Hillary Swank. I mistakenly thought it was Gerard Butler (actually Aaron Eckhart) and then I realized the correct answer to the question is: Every Action Movie Gerard Butler Has Been In In The Past 15 Years. It's just a litany of terrible but passable movies. Just pure dreck that is mostly unoffending. Just look:

Reign of Fire
The 2nd Tomb Raider
Timeline
Gamer
Law Abiding Citizen
The Bounty Hunter
Machine Gun Preacher
The "Fallen" franchise
God's of Egypt
And this year's Geostorm

That's not even including his romcoms!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Reign of Fire

He was in that? Matthew McConaughey and Christian Bale are the headliners from that one. (Checked IMDB, he was in fact in it, been too long since I've seen it)

You've missed some of his biggest movies though--300 and How To Train Your Dragon movies. And RocknRolla was pretty good. While none of his flicks have been great many of them have been pretty entertaining. I love how he has a thick Scottish accent regardless of his role--Egyptian god, viking, Spartan warrior king, doesn't matter. Gerard Butler don't need no damn voice/accent coach!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A couple comedies come to mind for me. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story and Zoolander (the first one; the second one has to be one of the worst bad movies ever). Dumb and Dumber too (and another one to avoid sequel at all costs).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I watch The Happening most times it is on cable. I know it sucks, but there is something weirdly captivating about it.

Reaction Score
He was in that? Matthew McConaughey and Christian Bale are the headliners from that one. (Checked IMDB, he was in fact in it, been too long since I've seen it)

You've missed some of his biggest movies though--300 and How To Train Your Dragon movies. And RocknRolla was pretty good. While none of his flicks have been great many of them have been pretty entertaining. I love how he has a thick Scottish accent regardless of his role--Egyptian god, viking, Spartan warrior king, doesn't matter. Gerard Butler don't need no damn voice/accent coach!
Yea I left those off purposefully since I actually think 300 is pretty decent and Zach Snyder's style was pretty new and thusly not so overbearing yet. Haven't seen more than a few parts of Rocknrolla. And the Dragon movies are just quality kids films, so not really in keeping with the OP.

Reaction Score
I watch The Happening most times it is on cable. I know it sucks, but there is something weirdly captivating about it.
Wow, yeah, now that's just a plain bad film. It was shockingly bad. I do the same thing when it comes on.

As an aside are there any better (worse?) good, bad actors than Wahlberg and Butler?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A couple comedies come to mind for me. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story and Zoolander (the first one; the second one has to be one of the worst bad movies ever). Dumb and Dumber too (and another one to avoid sequel at all costs).

Dodgeball is stupid, but I wouldn't consider it a bad movie.

For a movie to qualify for this thread, it:

1) Had to be trying to be good,
2) it needs to have been critically panned at the time.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not too bad, but not very good, and panned by critics. That probably could be applied to a lot of movies. I'll have to try to come up with something that fits well for this thread.

Reaction Score
I think Step Brothers is one of top 10 comedies of all time but think it was panned.

So it may belong on the list.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can't watch 10 seconds of the movie, but I know some women like Grease 2 with Michelle Pfeiffer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Zoolander is one of the great comedies of all time, and Dodgeball was funny.
I actually quite liked Reign of Fire.

As for actual bad movies that are great:
Evil Dead series
Flash Gordon
Conan
Highlander
All the “Blade” movies
All the “Underworld” movies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So I came in here to say The Core, a truly horrendous movie that's so bad it made me start laughing at it, and I tried to remember who was the leading man opposite Hillary Swank. I mistakenly thought it was Gerard Butler (actually Aaron Eckhart) and then I realized the correct answer to the question is: Every Action Movie Gerard Butler Has Been In In The Past 15 Years. It's just a litany of terrible but passable movies. Just pure dreck that is mostly unoffending. Just look:

Reign of Fire
The 2nd Tomb Raider
Timeline
Gamer
Law Abiding Citizen
The Bounty Hunter
Machine Gun Preacher
The "Fallen" franchise
God's of Egypt
And this year's Geostorm

That's not even including his romcoms!

I thought Reign of Fire was decent, so I am not sure it qualifies.

Timeline is almost a prototype of a good bad movie. Big budget and reasonably big cast, the plot is incoherent and several of the stars look embarrassed to be in the movie. Critics hate the movie, but there is something about it that makes it watchable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Zoolander is one of the great comedies of all time, and Dodgeball was funny.
I actually quite liked Reign of Fire.

As for actual bad movies that are great:
Evil Dead series
Flash Gordon
Conan
Highlander
All the “Blade” movies

+100 for Flash Gordon

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Any votes for "Just one of the guys" (1985) ?

A cheesy 80s style comedy with very likeable characters. I quote it far too often for something this old and undistinguished.

The little brother character is particularly well done.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Any votes for "Just one of the guys" (1985) ?

A cheesy 80s style comedy with very likeable characters. I quote it far too often for something this old and undistinguished.

The little brother character is particularly well done.
Does not belong on this list. It is an epic movie and little known.

In fact, when my wife calls me a smart-ass I quickly respond, better than a dumb ass.

744full-joyce-hyser.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought Jonah Hex wasn't that bad. The editing was pretty jarring and it didn't stick the landing but Josh Brolin was an excellent Hex.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
There is a better screenshot from that movie, just not postable here :)

The line i use most often: "Oooon me" as in "A buck's worth in. On me."

Does not belong on this list. It is an epic movie and little known.

In fact, when my wife calls me a smart-ass I quickly respond, better than a dumb ass.

744full-joyce-hyser.jpg

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

I liked the first one far more than any of the subsequent sequels. Same deal with the Resident Evil franchise.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Better Off Dead.

I loved that movie when I was in high school (well, probably still do). Very quotable. Not sure I would call it a bad movie. This category has me utterly confused.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, not even sure what qualifies here. Big Trouble in Little China maybe? My brother and I loved that when we were growing up, used to quote it all the time.

Reaction Score
Yeah, not even sure what qualifies here. Big Trouble in Little China maybe? My brother and I loved that when we were growing up, used to quote it all the time.

"It's all in the reflexes"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom