Beruuuuube (so close!) | The Boneyard

Beruuuuube (so close!)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nearly had the upset. Carla is doing a fantastic job at Princeton.

F3D80E62-4C76-4DBB-8FE1-9BE33F37AA6B.jpeg

Reaction Score
Betts went 9 for 9 from the field and 4 for 4 from the line to save them. Princeton had a lead late in the 4th quarter.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How were you able to watch the game? On what streaming service?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just a thought on Princeton. USC picked up 3 Ivy League transfers this season. I believe that all had completed their undergraduate degrees.

Kaitlyn Chen of Princeton could not play as a freshman, because the Ivies cancelled the season. However, this is her 4th academic year at Princeton. Is she eligible to play 1 more year, because she has played only 3 years, counting this season? Or is she eligible for 2 additional seasons, including a Covid year? Someone may want to make her an offer.

Reaction Score
Just a thought on Princeton. USC picked up 3 Ivy League transfers this season. I believe that all had completed their undergraduate degrees.

Kaitlyn Chen of Princeton could not play as a freshman, because the Ivies cancelled the season. However, this is her 4th academic year at Princeton. Is she eligible to play 1 more year, because she has played only 3 years, counting this season? Or is she eligible for 2 additional seasons, including a Covid year? Someone may want to make her an offer.
The Ivy League does not permit Covid years.

Reaction Score
Kaitlyn Chen of Princeton could not play as a freshman, because the Ivies cancelled the season. However, this is her 4th academic year at Princeton. Is she eligible to play 1 more year, because she has played only 3 years, counting this season? Or is she eligible for 2 additional seasons, including a Covid year?

Since she has played three non-covid years, she will be eligible to play one more year for someone.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Since she has played three non-covid years, she will be eligible to play one more year for someone.

Because she was in school in 2020-21 and had her season cancelled by the university, doesn't she get a Covid year?

Reaction Score
Because she was in school in 2020-21 and had her season cancelled by the university, doesn't she get a Covid year?

No. If you played that season or didn’t play that season, it is exactly the same. None of it counts. But she has played three seasons since then which do count. So she has one year left after this season.

Reaction Score
I believe that I read somewhere that she’s going to play at another school in 2024. No Covid year at Ivy League universities.

Reaction Score
On YouTube there is an extended highlight (ca. 33 min.) video of the game. UCLA was not particularly impressive. Princeton was.

I agree. UCLA isn't that good and Princeton executed their halfcourt offense really well. UCLA's offense consisted of dumping the ball over the top to Betts for 9 layups and Osborne is their only outside threat. No transition game to speak of. I would think this would be the game for UConn to use the Edwards/Brady combo for decent minutes because Betts 6-7 and Dugalic 6-4 start and are on the floor together a lot. And pressure the guards to delay the entry passes as long as possible to squeeze the shot clock down.

Reaction Score
It was a great game that IMHO Princeton had many chances to win but was worn down at the end!
Berube is a he-l of a Coach!
UCLA IS beatable!
Cori Close is a really good recruiter but not so good in game coaching!

Reaction Score
This is certainly a case where you could win a game and go down in the rankings....barely surviving at home against an Ivy League team.

Although a very good Ivy League team, Princeton has had very good teams on both the women's and men's side for years.

Reaction Score
I got a chance to watch a replay last night and it stuck me that UCLA played pretty well. Princeton played pretty well too, but not their sharpest in my opinion. Ellie Mitchell seemed to have an off night. Kaitlyn Chen played very well on the other hand.

I think it’s clear enough that UCLA ought to have won going away and the fact that they didn’t is telling. No injuries and this wasn’t their first game so no opening night jitters. I’d say the problem is their guard play was not crisp.

Rice in particular strikes me as not fully developed yet, which is odd since she has tons of talent and saved a few games last season. I wonder about her court vision and her sense of the moment in a game. I wouldn’t be surprised if she plays much better in February.

Their frontline is formidable — Betts Dugalic Sontag. Of the three, Betts may be the weak link. She’s not yet comparable to Ayoka Lee or Kamila. She’s huge and pretty much immovable in the low post. I’m not sure she can score from more than 2 feet from the rim. She’s also quite slow and lumbering. She may look like a solution, especially in the half court offense. But this seems to distort their offense, especially since their perimeter shooting is not consistent. If a game is a track meet, she’ll quickly become a liability. That would have to be our strategy. That and packing the paint in the half court sets. These are soluble problems. Dugalic and Sontag are quicker and more skilled. They are the real matchup problem I think.

Gabriela Jaquez is an Aubrey type, quick and strong and unafraid to slash among the trees. She can make huge contributions for them.

Their guard play at its best can be formidable. Osborne can take over a game, as can Rice. On an off shooting night, they are mediocre at best.

When we play them, our guard play will have to be crisp and sharp. Aubrey will have to contain Jaquez and outrun her on the break. Nika and KK have to be able to defend Osborne effectively. I think Paige is more than a match for Rice and will be able to score against her practically at will. Ashlynn can have a big role in this game. And if Qadence finds the range it will be a long night for UCLA. Most of all, Aaliyah has to stay out of foul trouble and Ice has to be able to play major minutes. It would be great to have Ayanna back too.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom