Berry Tramel on WTIC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel on WTIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The most cringe-worthy moment was when Tramel was quoting the OU prez as saying the B12 is "psychologically disadvantaged by only having 12 teams". For some reason Gresh thought he was making a joke and maniacally laughed. You could tell Tramel was confused as to why he was laughing because he paused for a second before continuing on.

Reaction Score
The most cringe-worthy moment was when Tramel was quoting the OU prez as saying the B12 is "psychologically disadvantaged by only having 12 teams". For some reason Gresh thought he was making a joke and maniacally laughed. You could tell Tramel was confused as to why he was laughing because he paused for a second before continuing on.
I noticed that too. The whole thing was terrible. He sounds like a morning shock jock.

He probably has no idea who Berry Tramel is (and didn't know why he was interviewing him) so he decided to just throw some questions out about the Big 12 in general just to get it over with.

Reaction Score

That's funny.
"Psychologically disadvantaged" is the expression used by OU and by no one else in the conference. Needless to say, Tramel is an OU guy.

Reaction Score
It doesn't take much to figure out who the expansion targets are should the Big 12 consider expanding.
That information is being studied by a private firm and none of us will know the outcome until May.
Boren (and Tramel) as well will know nothing until then.
I don't think anyone here expected him to break any news. It was just dumb to have Tramel on in the first place to ask general questions about the politics of the Big 12. The only reason we're talking about the Big 12 in CT is because of the possibility of UConn being invited.

And I don't expect everyone to be following conference realignment closely. The interview was worthless but forgivable. It's the way he responded to people asking him a reasonable question why he didn't mention UConn once that really got people pissed.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone here expected him to break any news. It was just dumb to have Tramel on in the first place to ask general questions about the politics of the Big 12. The only reason we're talking about the Big 12 in CT is because of the possibility of UConn being invited.

And I don't expect everyone to be following conference realignment closely. The interview was worthless but forgivable. It's the way he responded to people asking him a reasonable question why he didn't mention UConn once that really got people pissed.

I understand.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the lesser schools will have psychological issues if there is no network in five years and the GOR is beginning to wind down.
Not Texas or Oklahoma mind you, they likely will be elsewhere at the end of the GORs if there is no network

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am not for the conference expanding, but if it comes to that, UConn (being the flagship university) would make the most sense. Geography would be a real problem though for the student athletes and for the fans and that is something that may have an impact on which schools get invited.
The other expansion candidates are what worries me the most. I really don't care to have conference partners whose name comes from a city or to have conference partners which are directional schools. Their academics are questionable as well.

Ha! We feel the same way, yet here we are...in directional/city name hell. At least Temple isn't "Philadelphia University".

Reaction Score
I'm sure the lesser schools will have psychological issues if there is no network in five years and the GOR is beginning to wind down.
Not Texas or Oklahoma mind you, they likely will be elsewhere at the end of the GORs if there is no network

Up to this point, no one in the conference bothered with considering a conference network. That idea was voted down (by Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska) when the Big 12 formed in 1994. It was agreed each school had the right to monetize its tier 3 rights however way it saw fit.

Before it moved to the Big Ten, Nebraska led by announcing it would soon be starting on its own network. Texas wanted to go into partnership with A&M for a statewide network (the Lone Star Network), but A&M showed no interest at the time. Eventually, Oklahoma signed a deal with Fox and Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State did the same. Texas went with ESPN, while Kansas, Kansas State and West Virginia took different routes

Obviously, Oklahoma did not get the sweet deal that Texas did, so now we have the Oklahoma president screaming we should have a "conference network" (something that it voted down from the beginning). OU's president expects Texas to give up its $300 million-20 year deal with ESPN to form a conference network and to add more schools to "stabilize" the conference. I guess he forgot the conference wasn't stabilized when we had 12 members before. ESPN is already on record for saying that it has a special partnership with Texas and it doesn't see anything changing that relationship.

For a conference network to work, every school having a contract with Fox would have to wait until their contracts expire. Fox owns their tier 3 rights for now. Furthermore, ESPN has a major say in the matter. It is not going to turn Texas over to Fox and Texas is not about to give up the Longhorn Network either. So obviously, OU's president is asking for the impossible from the start.

Other than OU, no other school is crying about wanting a conference network. They seem to be content with what they are receiving from their tier 3 deals.

Reaction Score
Ha! We feel the same way, yet here we are...in directional/city name hell. At least Temple isn't "Philadelphia University".

Yep. I was really shocked when the ACC took Louisville over UConn. That made absolutely no sense, but what do I know about what goes on in the minds of its administrators?

I could almost cry at the thought of the Big 12 looking more like Conference USA 3.0 if we go with adding schools that were once in Conference USA 1.0

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
3 hrs ago Gresh tweets out--"sometimes it's fun to see how insane and delusional a small piece of a teams fandom can get".
Umm hey dipshit....we are not delusional. We are annoyed, yet not surprised that the State's flagship AM station has an idiot doing an interview on a topic that is extremely important for UConn. Did we expect Tramel to come out and say yeah or nay UConn is going? Not the point. Talk UConn and the Big 12, not Texas, Texas Texas.

Reaction Score
3 hrs ago Gresh tweets out--"sometimes it's fun to see how insane and delusional a small piece of a teams fandom can get".
Umm hey dip ....we are not delusional. We are annoyed, yet not surprised that the State's flagship AM station has an idiot doing an interview on a topic that is extremely important for UConn. Did we expect Tramel to come out and say yeah or nay UConn is going? Not the point. Talk UConn and the Big 12, not Texas, Texas Texas.

Did Tramel talk Texas, Texas, Texas?

Something of interest to me is finding out the University of Connecticut is a land grant public research university. Once, when the Big 12 commissioner was asked about expansion candidates, he was quoted as saying if you want to get a clue, look at the current make up of the conference. Most schools in the Big 12 are land grant public research universities. Interesting.

Last edited:

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Did Tramel talk Texas, Texas, Texas?

Something of interest to me is finding out the University of Connecticut is a land grant public research university. Once, when the Big 12 commissioner was asked about expansion candidates, he was quoted as saying if you want to get a clue, look at the current make up of the conference. Most schools in the Big 12 are land grant public research universities. Interesting.
It was an awful discussion to listen to.

Reaction Score
It was an awful discussion to listen to.
Oklahoma wants to play Texas like a 3 dollar fiddle right now, so I am not surprised if there was a lot of discussion about Texas.

I can imagine the frustration on the part of UConn fans.

Just out of curiosity, do any of you think ESPN would support a move of UConn to the Big 12 since ESPN headquarters is in Connecticut?

Reaction Score
Up to this point, no one in the conference bothered with considering a conference network. That idea was voted down (by Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska) when the Big 12 formed in 1994. It was agreed each school had the right to monetize its tier 3 rights however way it saw fit.

Before it moved to the Big Ten, Nebraska led by announcing it would soon be starting on its own network. Texas wanted to go into partnership with A&M for a statewide network (the Lone Star Network), but A&M showed no interest at the time. Eventually, Oklahoma signed a deal with Fox and Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State did the same. Texas went with ESPN, while Kansas, Kansas State and West Virginia took different routes

Obviously, Oklahoma did not get the sweet deal that Texas did, so now we have the Oklahoma president screaming we should have a "conference network" (something that it voted down from the beginning). OU's president expects Texas to give up its $300 million-20 year deal with ESPN to form a conference network and to add more schools to "stabilize" the conference. I guess he forgot the conference wasn't stabilized when we had 12 members before. ESPN is already on record for saying that it has a special partnership with Texas and it doesn't see anything changing that relationship.

For a conference network to work, every school having a contract with Fox would have to wait until their contracts expire. Fox owns their tier 3 rights for now. Furthermore, ESPN has a major say in the matter. It is not going to turn Texas over to Fox and Texas is not about to give up the Longhorn Network either. So obviously, OU's president is asking for the impossible from the start.

Other than OU, no other school is crying about wanting a conference network. They seem to be content with what they are receiving from their tier 3 deals.
The other Big 12 schools should be crying about wanting a conference network, because without one its just a matter of time before they're in the same position UConn finds itself in.

Texas, Oklahoma, and probably Kansas are the only 3 Big 12 programs who can afford to be short sighted. They're the ones who will have other options once the Big 12 folds. The rest should have realized by now that a conference network is the one thing that can help secure a spot in what will soon be the P4.

Oklahoma wants to play Texas like a 3 dollar fiddle right now, so I am not surprised if there was a lot of discussion about Texas.

Just out of curiosity, do any of you think ESPN would support a move of UConn to the Big 12 since ESPN headquarters is in Connecticut?

I don't think ESPN would try to "prevent" UConn going to the Big 12. But the next time they do anything to help UConn will be the first time.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

On April 21, 1893 - exactly 12 years after it established Storrs Agricultural School, the Connecticut General Assembly passed an act establishing Storrs Agricultural College, making it the beneficiary of the Morrill acts of 1862 and 1890. Students still enrolled at Yale would complete their studies in New Haven and the state would pay for it, but no new nominations or appointments were to be made to Yale under the old agreement with the state. (The same act changing the Storrs school to a college allowed for the admission of women, although the administration had been letting them take classes since 1891.) -stolen from UConn website

so, initially Yale was the designated land-grant school in CT, but since 1893 it's been UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The other Big 12 schools should be crying about wanting a conference network, because without one its just a matter of time before they're in the same position UConn finds itself in.

Texas, Oklahoma, and probably Kansas are the only 3 Big 12 programs who can afford to be short sighted. They're the ones who will have other options once the Big 12 folds. The rest should have realized by now that a conference network is the one thing that can help secure a spot in what will soon be the P4.

I don't think ESPN would try to "prevent" UConn going to the Big 12. But the next time they do anything to help UConn will be the first time.

The interesting thing about "conference networks" is what we are now seeing in the cable industry. More and more people are getting away from cable subscriptions (cord cutting) and are now looking at other options. No one wants to be forced to pay for sports packages they are not interested in. I would imagine this trend is going to have a significant impact on conference networks that use the cable industry for its major source of revenue. I have seen discussions on that topic before. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On April 21, 1893 - exactly 12 years after it established Storrs Agricultural School, the Connecticut General Assembly passed an act establishing Storrs Agricultural College, making it the beneficiary of the Morrill acts of 1862 and 1890. Students still enrolled at Yale would complete their studies in New Haven and the state would pay for it, but no new nominations or appointments were to be made to Yale under the old agreement with the state. (The same act changing the Storrs school to a college allowed for the admission of women, although the administration had been letting them take classes since 1891.) so, initially Yale was the designated land-grant school in CT, but since 1993 it's been UConn.
I think you mean 1893...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Conspiracy Kitty?
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Oh there's a conspiracy here, a conspiracy of idiocy. Someone ought to email management, let them know what happened, how epically unprepared he was and copy all the tweets showing how he interacts with listeners. This moron is peeing in his kibble which is bad for him and bad for the station.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Storrs, Texas...in the way back....

STORRS, TEXAS. Storrs, also called Storrsville, was three miles southwest of Ben Hur in western Limestone County. A post office opened there in 1898 with Alvin H. Storrs as postmaster.

Reaction Score
It didn't take long to get Gresh to snap earlier this afternoon:
@TheRealGresh
@AB670 you win the award of the dumbest person I've ever dealt with on Twitter. In any market. Anywhere. EVER.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It didn't take long to get Gresh to snap earlier this afternoon:
@TheRealGresh
@AB670 you win the award of the dumbest person I've ever dealt with on Twitter. In any market. Anywhere. EVER.

He said that to you?

Reaction Score
He said that to you?
Yup...these too:
Andy Gresh ‏@TheRealGresh 52m52 minutes ago
@AB670 I hate Uconn based on what? U can suck whomevers balls u want. Don't expect me to do same, MR NYC tough guy w 0 original thoughts

Andy Gresh ‏@TheRealGresh 54m54 minutes ago
@AB670 HEY EVERYBODY WHOS A UCONN FAN KISS THIS GUYS ASS HES IN NYC AND ROOTS FOR UCONN> YAYAYAYAYA

Andy Gresh ‏@TheRealGresh 29m29 minutes ago
@AB670 You operate w zero knowledge and the only moron I'm on is you. Bc most aren't as dumb as you. Go sell bowlsby on that NYC DMA...

Andy Gresh ‏@TheRealGresh 27m27 minutes ago
@AB670 anytime u want to see what truly creative and mean people send me, I've got those. You're a lightweight pal believe me. Toying w u

He can spin it any way he wants...he either :
A) Knows he messed up with the Tramel spot
B) Has really super thin skin
or
C) All of the above and then some

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors