Berry Tramel: My advice to Connecticut — invest heavily, HEAVILY, in football or get out of the rat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel: My advice to Connecticut — invest heavily, HEAVILY, in football or get out of the rat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Two words. Bill Belichik. And when he doesn't call us back, I say we go for the poor man's Bill - Eric Mangini.

Reaction Score
I say we go for the poor man's Bill - Eric Mangini.

I agree, If P fails we need to kick Mangini's tires real hard in December, Keep P on the payroll as director of recruiting. Mangini could be our Chris Peterson.

Reaction Score
I agree, If P fails we need to kick Mangini's tires real hard in December, Keep P on the payroll as director of recruiting. Mangini could be our Chris Peterson.

Career record 33–48–0

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I say we hire Ray Lewis.

Give him $2M a year to just walk around being Ray Lewis in UConn garb.

If he wants to coach, great. If he wants to be the AD, great. Whatever Ray wants, Ray gets. If Ray wants to teach a class, Ray can teach a class.

Reaction Score
Career record 33–48–0

Saban is 15-17 in the NFL and Belichick was a failure in Cleveland.

Mangini was solid with the Jets, he had them in the playoffs year one and earned the nickname "Mangenuis", Pennington got hurt year two and the Jets were the best team in football midway through year three, then Favre tore his throwing arm bicep and the season went into the toilet.

Mangini is known as a detail oriented tactician of the game much like his mentor, and I think he is very fond of his home state of Connecticut. He needs to be on the short list.

Reaction Score
I say we hire Ray Lewis.

If he wants to coach, great. If he wants to be the AD, great. Whatever Ray wants, Ray gets. If Ray wants to teach a class, Ray can teach a class.

$50 says you don't throat punch him.

Reaction Score
i remember when almost eveyone here told me mike leach was the wrong guy. he would have kept and strted nebrich #1, got a bigtime juco qb#2 and we would have played in 2 bows the past 2 years #3. Ou D would have been WVU like, but thts fine if you make it...

...almost everyone. Actually P wasn't on the top of too many lists from what I recall.

Reaction Score

Mangini was solid with the Jets, he had them in the playoffs year one and earned the nickname "Mangenuis", Pennington got hurt year two and the Jets were the best team in football midway through year three, then Favre tore his throwing arm bicep and the season went into the toilet.

Mangini is known as a detail oriented tactician of the game much like his mentor, and I think he is very fond of his home state of Connecticut. He needs to be on the short list.

Pasqualoni was a genius during Clinton's first term.

Reaction Score

Nick Saban had many years of college experience before the debacle in Miami.

Many here revolted with the thought of NFL re-threads.

If P fails to Improve this year and ends up pushed out (which should happen if there is not significant improvement) I would like someone that wouldn't jump to NFL first chance that arises.

Not anti-Mangini. Just think there may be better choices.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I say we hire Ray Lewis.

I hope he doesn't want to monitor the situation while eating donuts.

Reaction Score

If P fails to Improve this year and ends up pushed out (which should happen if there is not significant improvement) I would like someone that wouldn't jump to NFL first chance that arises.

Not sure why people would revolt at an NFL retread. We hired a failed college head coach who wasn't even an NFL head coach.

I'm not sold Mangini either. But we should talk to him if he is interested.

Reaction Score
I say we hire Ray Lewis.

Criminal Justice 101.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people would revolt at an NFL retread. We hired a failed college head coach who wasn't even an NFL head coach.

I'm not sold Mangini either. But we should talk to him if he is interested.
At this point, it's most important to look like we actually care. Not like we're doing people favors by showing up, but like we actually give a damn. Pasqualoni doesn't send that message. A Mangini would. Not saying we would get better results, but there is no best move right now. They only thing you can do is act and project like you care. Maryland hired Mike Locksley, baggage, whatever, he gets results in recruiting. You take a chance with him because you are willing to take that risk. Louisville is willing. They want to win. If you don't want to win that bad, you can be Purdue or Illinois, or Wake, but you better be in a stable conference first.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Coach P is in place through the end of the season. Who knows? Maybe with Weist in the fold thing turn around.

Reaction Score
At this point, it's most important to look like we actually care. Not like we're doing people favors by showing up, but like we actually give a damn. Pasqualoni doesn't send that message. A Mangini would. Not saying we would get better results, but there is no best move right now. They only thing you can do is act and project like you care. Maryland hired Mike Locksley, baggage, whatever, he gets results in recruiting. You take a chance with him because you are willing to take that risk. Louisville is willing. They want to win. If you don't want to win that bad, you can be Purdue or Illinois, or Wake, but you better be in a stable conference first.

Hiring Pasqualoni was like teeing off with a 3 Iron. It showed that we had no balls, and we still shanked it into the woods.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't know if he'd be the guy or not. But he'd make a splash. He'd be known. It would be a great gamble. As for Mangini, I think the NFL is more or less down on him right now. He may be a guy that would love to take something, build it and own it. If he does a Pete Carroll like job (at USC) and then leaves in 6-7 years, do we complain? Above all else, we cannot afford an under the radar football coach. It has to be a guy that resonates with recruits, the media and gets people talking about UConn football.

Reaction Score
How many times has Pasqualoni won consecutive games? Once?

UConn football is going nowhere until we get a legitimate QB and head coach.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This thread is funny. Did I just read that the possible saviors of UConn football were either Mangini, Nebrich, or Ray Lewis??? (and the only one that was an intentional joke was Ray Lewis)

Belichick, I understand, but I think that there is quite a bit of "crazy-town" going on in this thread. I understand why; because we seem to be getting shat on every 5 days. But I think we have to focus in reality. Let's see what the additions of Weist and Buggs will do for us. If things don't work out well this year, it's no secret that PP and company will be gone...

Reaction Score
Hiring Pasqualoni was like teeing off with a 3 Iron. It showed that we had no balls, and we still shanked it into the woods.
I'll give the admin a pass on Pasqualoni. In hindsight, bad move no doubt. At the time, your coach just left in the night, it's the day after New Years, Ok, we made a mistake. I can live with that. Now is the time for no more mistakes. Now we have to follow the Louisville model, the Cincy model, da U model in the late 70s. We have to bring in playas ... you're not going to win games unless you are willing to compromise in certain areas. JC was willing to compromise in certain areas . . .

Reaction Score
I don't know if he'd be the guy or not. But he'd make a splash. He'd be known. It would be a great gamble. As for Mangini, I think the NFL is more or less down on him right now. He may be a guy that would love to take something, build it and own it. If he does a Pete Carroll like job (at USC) and then leaves in 6-7 years, do we complain? Above all else, we cannot afford an under the radar football coach. It has to be a guy that resonates with recruits, the media and gets people talking about UConn football.
We can not afford a guy who is #15 on the coaches hot seat website, and moving up fast.

Reaction Score
I'll give the admin a pass on Pasqualoni. In hindsight, bad move no doubt. At the time, your coach just left in the night, it's the day after New Years, Ok, we made a mistake. I can live with that. Now is the time for no more mistakes. Now we have to follow the Louisville model, the Cincy model, da U model in the late 70s. We have to bring in playas ... you're not going to win games unless you are willing to compromise in certain areas. JC was willing to compromise in certain areas . . .

Pasqualoni is a Hathaway thing. He gets no passes.

Reaction Score
Coach P is in place through the end of the season. Who knows? Maybe with Weist in the fold thing turn around.
It was Hathaways move. If P doesn't get it don this year he will be justifiably gone. Hathaway was a disaster that inherited good coaches and all he managed to do was alienate them.

Reaction Score
doug marrone might be available after he drafts nassib and goes 3-13 this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member