Berry Tramel: My advice to Connecticut — invest heavily, HEAVILY, in football or get out of the rat | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel: My advice to Connecticut — invest heavily, HEAVILY, in football or get out of the rat

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is Danny O looking to coach? How about DJ? He did well at Southington until the whole stealing the play thing!

Honestly, we need to find a football version of KO. A guy from UConn who truly cares about the program and isn't already looking for the next gig. P is so old that there is no next gig but that's also the problem.

I'll be very intrigued regarding the next hire after this season.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Is Danny O looking to coach? How about DJ? He did well at Southington until the whole stealing the play thing!

Honestly, we need to find a football version of KO. A guy from UConn who truly cares about the program and isn't already looking for the next gig. P is so old that there is no next gig but that's also the problem.

I'll be very intrigued regarding the next hire after this season.

I guess I get your premise, but you want to bring in someone with no coaching experiance at all (Dan O) or someone with very limited coaching experiance (DJ - High School/Ivy/Grad Asst @ B1G) to be UConn's next head coach if HCPP getts whacked??

Laughing-chimp-gif-animation.gif

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree - I want to see them throw them throw the football like the running backs all called in sick.

I want to win games 63-3, but if that doesn't work, I'd rather lose 66-63 than 10-7.

I also think we should cheat really hard.

The one caveat is that the SEC is actually all about defense, and not offense, and this is why they win. So, maybe UConn should pattern itself after the B12. I believe Paul Westhead is the new football coach at Texas Tech.

Reaction Score
Find me a coach who would win games with flare, ignite the fan base, charm the media, force the TV guys to talk about us and networks to vie over when to schedule our games--a guy with charisma and star power. And while you're at it, make him a guy who won't lead us down the road to probation. Open the checkbook wide to pay him well and announce it all at a major, media packed, news conference.

Get me that guy.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I guess I get your premise, but you want to bring in someone with no coaching experiance at all (Dan O) or someone with very limited coaching experiance (DJ - High School/Ivy/Grad Asst @ B1G) to be UConn's next head coach if HCPP getts whacked??

View attachment 2848
I was being sarcastic about those two options. However, that type of coach, someone who isn't just using us as a stepping stone and really cares about the university, is what we need. I dunno where that person is but TCU and Boise have done it. We just need the right guy. Easier said than done.

Reaction Score
I am one person hoping Big 12 adds UConn, Cincy, UCF, and USF.
I certainly wouldn't have such an issue with that alignment. Everyone knows the Big 12 is loaded on natural resources. And the Big 12 owns rights to the names Big 14 and 16. Prefer the B1G, though. Also loaded, but more alike our culture. Damn, do we have some spoiled fans.

Reaction Score
the Sporting News rnked the 125 FBS coaches. PP came in 89th. Cincinnati, who has lost two coaches better than anyone UConn will ever have, hired Tuberville, who was ranked 44th. Coaching is about 80% of college football, maybe more. If I was the Big12, I'd invite Cincy first. Louisville hired Charlie Strong after the disaster that was Kragthorpe.

this stuff is not brain surgery. Keeping PP is admitting defeat. But its too late to fix that

Reaction Score
the Sporting News rnked the 125 FBS coaches. PP came in 89th. Cincinnati, who has lost two coaches better than anyone UConn will ever have, hired Tuberville, who was ranked 44th. Coaching is about 80% of college football, maybe more. If I was the Big12, I'd invite Cincy first. Louisville hired Charlie Strong after the disaster that was Kragthorpe.

this stuff is not brain surgery. Keeping PP is admitting defeat. But its too late to fix that

It's also about timing... who's available when the job is open/opening,

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Mangini is a control freak. He is also extemely inflexible. He frequently rubs people the wrong way and doesn't care. I think that when it comes to Xs and Os he's brilliant. However, when something went wrong, it always snowballed out of control. He reminds me of Bobby Valentine, to be honest.

Reaction Score
Mangini is a control freak. He is also extemely inflexible. He frequently rubs people the wrong way and doesn't care. I think that when it comes to Xs and Os he's brilliant. However, when something went wrong, it always snowballed out of control. He reminds me of Bobby Valentine, to be honest.
We play in the AAC people. Why would any coach with stature agree to be our head coach? At best, we have to go after a young upstart from an FBS school looking to make that next jump. We aren't getting Mangini. We couldn't even get Charlie Weiss.

Reaction Score

A couple of things here, though...Kragthorpe was a worse disaster than P...and he stayed 3 seasons. this is Pasqualoni's 3rd. We'll see who replaces him assuming he doesn't turn things around this year.

I agree that we need to be combing the JUCO ranks for every available player. That is what KState did. its what Boise does and its what TCU did. Boise had something like 15 JUCOs last year. TCU had 7-8 plus 6 transfers from ohter schools. UConn had 2. We just need to land those kind of guys. We built a successful basketball program by recruiting scum of the earth if they could hit a 15 footer, and not worring in the slightest about whether they even knew where the academic building were. That is the model. Miami has used it. Auburn uses it. the whole friggin' SEC probably uses it. Well maybe not Vanderbilt...just do it. People might not like us, but after we kick their butts they'll respect us. I once heard a comparison of recruiting at Michigan vs. Florida. the guy said "If he's a player you can get a plant into Florida. And that's the difference." We need to be Florida.

Reaction Score
4 seasons for Kragthorpe

A couple of things here, though...Kragthorpe was a worse disaster than P...and he stayed 3 seasons. this is Pasqualoni's 3rd. We'll see who replaces him assuming he doesn't turn things around this year.

I agree that we need to be combing the JUCO ranks for every available player. That is what KState did. its what Boise does and its what TCU did. Boise had something like 15 JUCOs last year. TCU had 7-8 plus 6 transfers from ohter schools. UConn had 2. We just need to land those kind of guys. We built a successful basketball program by recruiting scum of the earth if they could hit a 15 footer, and not worring in the slightest about whether they even knew where the academic building were. That is the model. Miami has used it. Auburn uses it. the whole friggin' SEC probably uses it. Well maybe not Vanderbilt...just do it. People might not like us, but after we kick their butts they'll respect us. I once heard a comparison of recruiting at Michigan vs. Florida. the guy said "If he's a player you can get a plant into Florida. And that's the difference." We need to be Florida.

Reaction Score
We play in the AAC people. Why would any coach with stature agree to be our head coach?

The x factor with Mangini is that he grew up in the Hartford area, lives here now and has his family here (I assume). The AAC isn't as bad as you make it out to be, all of our games will be on ESPN and it offers a somewhat winnable but competitive schedule which would be attractive to a young coach looking to re-boot his coaching career, the salary we offer our coaches isn't that bad either and we have a great fan base (hater blog aside).

You may have noticed that Tubberville did leave the Big 12 to coach in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree - I want to see them throw them throw the football like the running backs all called in sick.

I want to win games 63-3, but if that doesn't work, I'd rather lose 66-63 than 10-7.

I also think we should cheat really hard.

Yes! At least a three point loss (66-63) would be exciting. 10-7 loss last year was so painful . . . . like, crap, the game clock just ran out and we weren't through yet.

Reaction Score

Agreed. Clear the road for the Juco Bus. We DO need to be like Florida.

Reaction Score
Hiring Pasqualoni was like teeing off with a 3 Iron. It showed that we had no balls, and we still shanked it into the woods.

P was like teeing off with a 3 Iron and not being able to hit a decent iron.

Reaction Score
P was like teeing off with a 3 Iron and not being able to hit a decent iron.
Not sure I agree with this. It might have been more like teeing off with a hickory shafted spoon...
Definition: The spoon was the wooden-shafted club in (primarily) pre-20th Century golf history that is most equivalent to today's 3-woods. A modern 3-wood is not a spoon, however. Spoons were called that because their clubfaces were concave (shaped like a spoon, in other words). But in appearance, loft and purpose, the spoon is the antique golf club that most resembles today's 3-woods.

Reaction Score
Three or four times during the NFL draft coverage different commentators on different channels said"I cant believe UCONN didnt win the Bigeast with all this talent" hmm

Reaction Score
Honestly curious: If you were the Maryland AD, would you fire Randy Edsall, two-year record of 6-18?

I would have fired him after his first season.

You're funny. Trying to pin Edsall on me. What a hoot.

Reaction Score
I would have fired him after his first season.

You're funny. Trying to pin Edsall on me. What a hoot.

Not trying to pin anything on anyone -- just curious what you'd do as AD. Personally, I'm glad people like our AD give people time to invest in the program and try to build it up. But you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Reaction Score
Pay Bobby Petrino, take the baggage that comes along with it. Guy can turn this around in 1 year. Will make UConn football fun to watch and definitely to play for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom