Benedict vs South Carolina Exhibition Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Benedict vs South Carolina Exhibition Game

Reaction Score
Dawn was unrelenting in that there is no player of Boston’s size more skilled and accomplished in the game right now (from a recent interview). If anything, they’ll start together, but I suspect KC comes off the bench (and probably horrifies the opposing team’s starters the first minutes she does so). I’m as big a Boston fan as there is and do believe she’s the best 5 in the nation although E. Cunane is no slouch so I’m not sure I’d even echo all Dawn’s praises.

Can’t see Amihere’s PT rising if she doesn’t improve her control, despite an unparalleled toolbox of physical gifts.

I know there’s plentiful debate between SC and UConn fans about who’s better, and I’m Gamecocks all the way as a fan, but I honestly think UConn’s guard rotation this year is as good as it gets and I’d have been perfectly fine opening the season ranked second or third.

My realistic outcome as a fan is to beat the Huskies two of the likely three times we play.

I don't even reallly have an opinion as to which team is better right now. I have hopes and suspicions.

I'm just trying to figure out why Cardoso going 18-13 in an exhibition was worthy of all this.

I thought as a Gamecock fan it was interesting to see her get that many shots off and be productive on boards in short minutes. That's about it.

Didn't see the game so don't know what it looked like. But almost certain she's going to help and she's going to help a lot.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Concerned? Absolutely. Ill prepared is a term I have never used or would ever use to describe a Geno Auriemma coached team. If you’re going to quote me, please quote me accurately.
You need to stop self-snitching. A lot of people didn't even know I was talking about you- until you told them.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think Cardoso had issues at Syracuse that have never come to light. It's hard to play your best when you are not happy. The thing everyone is saying about Cardoso now is she is happy and smiling. That alone will make her a better player.
Every time I watched Cardoso last season she was smiling and looked happy. That was one of the things that made me enjoy watching her play. I believe she is going to be really good. Her playing well in an exhibition game against that competition is to be expected. If she played poorly it would be cause for concern.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think Cardoso had issues at Syracuse that have never come to light. It's hard to play your best when you are not happy. The thing everyone is saying about Cardoso now is she is happy and smiling. That alone will make her a better player.
She's from a tropical part of Brazil, I'm sure Syracuse's weather was a shock to her senses. I love cold weather and snow, but I can definitely say Syracuse would have an excess of both.

This thread is quite chippy; imagine if we play each other 3 times this season?

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The "General Women's Basketball" Forum is turning into the "South Carolina" forum. There were a number of existing threads this could have been posted, including the "Exhibition Games 2021", and "SEC 21-22".

Yes this thread was not needed.

Which I think was the point of several Gamecock fans earlier in the thread.

I’d also like to point out this thread wasn’t started by a Gamecock fan. It was apparently moved from the UConn board. We have NC State in a few days, perfectly content moving beyond this exhibition. Not sure why a thread was needed but I have my guesses as to why it was created.

Kinda like me starting a thread on Duke's board about an Iowa or Wake exhibition game. ;):p:D:eek::cool:

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I love the fact that....if Cardoso had chosen UCONN she would be an unstoppable force but since she chose the Gamecocks she is just "Ok"...lol...much biased ? I get it...but you have to see this from a neutral set of eyes to really get it.....I lived in Irmo SC for a few years and I am not a true Gamecock fan, I did follow them because they were local at the time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I love the fact that....if Cardoso had chosen UCONN she would be an unstoppable force but since she chose the Gamecocks she is just "Ok"...lol...much biased ? I get it...but you have to see this from a neutral set of eyes to really get it.....I lived in Irmo SC for a few years and I am not a true Gamecock fan, I did follow them because they were local at the time.
Just wondering who exactly suggested that Cardoso would be “an unstoppable force” if she chose UConn?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just wondering who exactly suggested that Cardoso would be “an unstoppable force” if she chose UConn?
:eek: I think it was Benedict's woefully undersized front line and The State a SC newspaper.
Come Again Read All About It GIF by Jeremy Kenyon Lockyer Corbell

Reaction Score
Q’s offense was to try to jam it inside to Cardoso in the first half. When UConn responded by bodying up to her to move her away from the basket there really was no plan B.

I would certainly take 12 from a backup center if that were the case. Obviously, Cardoso’s 12 pts against UConn came as a starter.

Some questions for everyone to ponder in Columbia. What if Cardoso beats out Boston for the starting spot? What happens to Amihere’s PT this season? How many BIGs can Dawn play at the same time?

I know there are no easy answers. We’re all wrestling with the same questions for UConn this year.
Cardoso won't beat out Boston. Cardoso will beat out Saxton for that spot. When Boston and Cardoso play together, Boston will slide out to the 4 where she played a good bit last year. Amihere will have to fight for minutes, but she'll get hers. I'm not going to worry too much about those 4 getting PT. It's a great problem to have.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Every time I watched Cardoso last season she was smiling and looked happy. That was one of the things that made me enjoy watching her play. I believe she is going to be really good. Her playing well in an exhibition game against that competition is to be expected. If she played poorly it would be cause for concern.
It’s so enjoyable watching a player that’s just having fun. I noticed this during the exhibition. I love the feisty players, the Coates’ and Herbert-Harrigans, but this is also nice to see. She’s going to be a pleasure to watch at SC.

Reaction Score
Lol really you are a vocal leader here on the boneyard and you don’t think if she came to UConn she wouldn’t be called a 3 time AA by 95% of the people here rofl

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lol really you are a vocal leader here on the boneyard and you don’t think if she came to UConn she wouldn’t be called a 3 time AA by 95% of the people here rofl
No doubt UConn fans are prone to hyperbole. I was simply asking who in UConn’s fan base had suggested that Cardoso would be an unstoppable force, because I didn’t recall anyone making such a comment through the lengthy discussion of her potential transfer to UConn. The SC poster stated his point as a done deed not a prediction.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No doubt UConn fans are prone to hyperbole. I was simply asking who in UConn’s fan base had suggested that Cardoso would be an unstoppable force, because I didn’t recall anyone making such a comment through the lengthy discussion of her potential transfer to UConn. The SC poster stated his point as a done deed not a prediction.
The poster @jumpstart is a "General WCBB fan not a SC fan. He or she specifically stated "If Cardoso had chosen UCONN...
Most of the rest of us are reading that as a hypothetical statement not a done deed, or a prediction and definitely not something anybody would recall making a comment about.

8d5c26f4f58c4d393b55d6d01e700e80.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The poster @jumpstart is a "General WCBB fan not a SC fan. He or she specifically stated "If Cardoso had chosen UCONN...
Most of the rest of us are reading that as a hypothetical statement not a done deed, or a prediction and definitely not something anybody would recall making a comment about.

8d5c26f4f58c4d393b55d6d01e700e80.png
If you peruse jumpstart’s posts it is pretty clear he is a Gamecock fan. The vast majority of his posts are in reference to and supportive of SC WBB, which I have no problem with.

As for his post, I read it differently then you, the “IF” referring to the period of time when Cardoso was considering UConn and there was a lengthy discussion about it here on the BY. The subsequent clause, “she would be an unstoppable force” appeared to be a general sentiment attributed to the many BY’ers who chimed in on that thread.

Perhaps our difference of opinion on jumpstart’s post pertains to the somewhat confused syntax of his statement.

In any event, I agree with a number of our SC friends who have suggested that we all move on from such an extensive discussion about an exhibition game. In a few weeks, if all goes according to plan, we will have a marquee matchup to discuss between the Gamecocks & Huskies in the Bahamas.

Reaction Score
I run the @SSN_UConn Twitter site and come in contact with Gamecock fans every day. It's the usual mix of casual to crazy fans , but most are very likeable and highly passionate about their team. Different than UConn fans, but there is a similar euphoria about this season.

Both teams are deep and experienced, with elite new talent mixed in. They see their advantage in their front line. Maybe slightly, but realistically with Dorka, Edwards and Ono, I see that as a draw. I think our perimeter game has a narrow advantage.

I can't blame them for their excitement about the new SYR center.

IMO, the defining difference will be a very, very good coach vs the best coach in WBB history who doesn't lose in national championship games. But we will see on the court after potentially 3 head-to-head match-ups this season.

If you are on Twitter, consider following @SSN_UConn. Thanks.

Reaction Score
These posts make silly putty look serious. When UCONN plays their exhibition game against Sister Mary’s School for Wayward Girls or whoever it is, their will be a plethora of comments about how amazing some players looked. Taking meaningless gibberish to a new level. What we need is coaches to schedule exhibition games against quality opposition who aren’t on their schedule. Then we can rate performances. Till then…..Liv will block shots and make layups and all will be peachy on this board.

Reaction Score
The Cardoso hate on this board is embarrassing. If she was at UConn, she would start.
That part …The secret weapon is hoping Dorka can equate to Cardoso

Reaction Score
The Cardoso hate on this board is embarrassing. If she was at UConn, she would start.
I don't see any Cardosa hate in this thread. Some posters are saying that an exhibition game is not a good matchup to rate her performance. I agree.

Might have a Gamecock or two on here whose feathers get ruffled a bit easy. But, what the heck? Something to talk about as we are in 6-5-4-3-2-1 days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom