Benedict vs South Carolina Exhibition Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Benedict vs South Carolina Exhibition Game

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It seems like the hosts of the BY cared more about the exhibition game than the visitors. LOL.
It was misposted by one poster to the incorrect forum, hence the weird "host" comments, before presumably the mods relocated it properly. Plenty was commented on the exhibition in the SC-specific thread.

Herding cats is notoriously hard, especially when they're bored and restless and desperate for fodder.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mercy. Slow your roll a bit young feller. Though let's be clear. If Liv scores a double double against Fort Hays I'll still be critical of Liv, even if the the byline said, "Led by...". Just sayin'.

Why would you be critical of Liv?? Even if she scores a double-double, as you say? So, if Liv scores 45 pts and 33 rebounds - a double-double - you'll be critical of her performance? Say, she goes 15-16, and you'll criticize that one single missed shot?

Hmm. That's interesting. Mind you, no one here is talking about being critical of a player's performance. SOMEONE ( :rolleyes: ) chose to be critical of other posters' reactions to a player's performance, as if those posters were overly "enthusiastic" than they had a right to be. And that choice confused me.

There were quite a bit to be critical of the Gamecock's game against Benedict, no doubt. No one was thinking that Benedict was some great opponent. But that wasn't what the other poster was contending about, about not being "critical" enough of the Gamecocks - or in this case, of Cardoso's - performance. It was about being overly "enthusiastic", when it was a false narrative to begin with. He was attempting to "clarify" his position, by basing it on a false narrative. Do you understand?

And now YOU come to "be clear". Is the air in Connecticut like Los Angeles: full of smog and dust?? Such masters of clarifications..... :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Fort Hays' tallest player is a 6'3" freshman Olivia Hollenbeck. Their second tallest is 6'1". Let's hope Liv has a double double.
I would much prefer a Liv double double vs Arkansas when it means something than Ft Hays when it really doesn’t.

Reaction Score
I would much prefer a Liv double double vs Arkansas when it means something than Ft Hays when it really doesn’t.

But that thinking is not really up for question, oldude. No one is debating whether or not Cardoso's performance against Benedict is more preferred or exceptional than a similar - or even a better - performance against say, a NC State, Stanford, Maryland, or CT. It is what it was. You coming in to argue that it was somehow less than what it was, was based on false narrative that was not needed nor asked for. Cardoso TRULY did score 18 pts and 13 rebounds.

You came in to disparage her performance, just as a knee-jerk reaction. We get it. Then you tried to hide your disparagement behind the false narrative that others were propping up her performance as some sort of generational thing, when no one here has done that, and you had to execute some sort of reality-check. It was a bit obvious.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Cardoso had 10 and 5 in the first half of an NCAA game last season against a Final Four participant so I'd say that "force to be reckoned with" is a reasonable description.
That might be the “glass half full” view, which I certainly respect. The “glass half empty” view might point out that 8 of those pts came in Syracuse’s first 5 possessions. In the 2nd half, Cardoso contributed 2 and 2.

Reaction Score
Why would you be critical of Liv?? Even if she scores a double-double, as you say? So, if Liv scores 45 pts and 33 rebounds - a double-double - you'll be critical of her performance? Say, she goes 15-16, and you'll criticize that one single missed shot?

Hmm. That's interesting. Mind you, no one here is talking about being critical of a player's performance. SOMEONE ( :rolleyes: ) chose to be critical of other posters' reactions to a player's performance, as if those posters were overly "enthusiastic" than they had a right to be. And that choice confused me.

There were quite a bit to be critical of the Gamecock's game against Benedict, no doubt. No one was thinking that Benedict was some great opponent. But that wasn't what the other poster was contending about, about not being "critical" enough of the Gamecocks - or in this case, of Cardoso's - performance. It was about being overly "enthusiastic", when it was a false narrative to begin with. He was attempting to "clarify" his position, by basing it on a false narrative. Do you understand?

And now YOU come to "be clear". Is the air in Connecticut like Los Angeles: full of smog and dust?? Such masters of clarifications..... :D
Just for clarification he’s from New York City so not as clean as CT:confused::cool::eek:Head bang

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But that thinking is not really up for question, oldude. No one is debating whether or not Cardoso's performance against Benedict is more preferred or exceptional than a similar - or even a better - performance against say, a NC State, Stanford, Maryland, or CT. It is what it was. You coming in to argue that it was somehow less than what it was, was based on false narrative that was not needed nor asked for. Cardoso TRULY did score 18 pts and 13 rebounds.

You came in to disparage her performance, just as a knee-jerk reaction. We get it. Then you tried to hide your disparagement behind the false narrative that others were propping up her performance as some sort of generational thing, when no one here has done that, and you had to execute some sort of reality-check. It was a bit obvious.....
Again, let’s not mischaracterize what I said by inferring something you think I meant. I never disparaged Cardoso. I simply pointed out that Cardoso’s performance was against a significantly undermanned opponent. You won’t see me praising any UConn players for their performance against Ft Hays St either, unless Piath Gabriel goes 4/5 from the arc.

As for the generational thing, whatever that means, who exactly have I quoted here? I simply referenced the SC home state newspaper’s quote that Cardoso is “ a force to be reckoned with.” Since I read it on the State’s news feed I am reasonably certain I quoted it accurately.

I respect Dawn and what she’s accomplished at SC and absolutely look forward to the matchup this season. Respectfully, some SC fans may be just a tad sensitive.

Reaction Score
That might be the “glass half full” view, which I certainly respect. The “glass half empty” view might point out that 8 of those pts came in Syracuse’s first 5 possessions. In the 2nd half, Cardoso contributed 2 and 2.

Not quite correct. Her 8th point came at the 2:48 mark of the 1st Q.

I watched the first half last night but I imagine UConn folks probably have good memories of it.

Any event, I'll take 12 pts out of our backup center any time. I'm not sure she gave up more than one little jumper in the paint in the first half.

But I'm not sure that any Dawn Staley coached 6'7 post player of reasonable talent would ever be as consistently a bystander as Cardoso was around those guards at Syracuse last year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I watched the first half last night but I imagine UConn folks probably have good memories of it.

Any event, I'll take 12 pts out of our backup center any time. I'm not sure she gave up more than one little jumper in the paint in the first half.

But I'm not sure that any Dawn Staley coached 6'7 post player of reasonable talent would ever be as consistently a bystander as Cardoso was around those guards at Syracuse last year.
Q’s offense was to try to jam it inside to Cardoso in the first half. When UConn responded by bodying up to her to move her away from the basket there really was no plan B.

I would certainly take 12 from a backup center if that were the case. Obviously, Cardoso’s 12 pts against UConn came as a starter.

Some questions for everyone to ponder in Columbia. What if Cardoso beats out Boston for the starting spot? What happens to Amihere’s PT this season? How many BIGs can Dawn play at the same time?

I know there are no easy answers. We’re all wrestling with the same questions for UConn this year.

Reaction Score
Q’s offense was to try to jam it inside to Cardoso in the first half. When UConn responded by bodying up to her to move her away from the basket there really was no plan B.

I would certainly take 12 from a backup center if that were the case. Obviously, Cardoso’s 12 pts against UConn came as a starter.

Some questions for everyone to ponder in Columbia. What if Cardoso beats out Boston for the starting spot? What happens to Amihere’s PT this season? How many BIGs can Dawn play at the same time?

I know there are no easy answers. We’re all wrestling with the same questions for UConn this year.
Dawn was unrelenting in that there is no player of Boston’s size more skilled and accomplished in the game right now (from a recent interview). If anything, they’ll start together, but I suspect KC comes off the bench (and probably horrifies the opposing team’s starters the first minutes she does so). I’m as big a Boston fan as there is and do believe she’s the best 5 in the nation although E. Cunane is no slouch so I’m not sure I’d even echo all Dawn’s praises.

Can’t see Amihere’s PT rising if she doesn’t improve her control, despite an unparalleled toolbox of physical gifts.

I know there’s plentiful debate between SC and UConn fans about who’s better, and I’m Gamecocks all the way as a fan, but I honestly think UConn’s guard rotation this year is as good as it gets and I’d have been perfectly fine opening the season ranked second or third.

My realistic outcome as a fan is to beat the Huskies two of the likely three times we play.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Fort Hays' tallest player is a 6'3" freshman Olivia Hollenbeck. Their second tallest is 6'1". Let's hope Liv has a double double.
If she does, she had better get them in a hurry. I don't expect her to get more than 18 minutes against FHS. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So-as a Syracuse resident and UCONN fan, the one place I did NOT want Cardoso to go to.....was SC. She is 100% going to be a force. I watched every Syracuse game last year and the team used to come into my restaurant. I've talked to Kamila a few times and you couldn't meet a sweeter or nicer kid. I will always root for her-but she is an enemy now. HA

With that being said-she will be, IMO, the best center in the world in 10 years. She moves REMARKABLY well for a kid her size. She has amazing hands, her footwork is excellent, and she can put the ball in the net in traffic. She isn't as athletic as Griner, but she will dominant with the right coach. She has a game that can be moved out to 15 feet. She can't put the ball on the floor and drive from the high post yet, but when she works on that, she will be SCARY.

With that being said though, I think she could get lost at SC this season. There is just so much talent there and to me, Boston will get most of the touches in the post, and sometimes the SC guards aren't as disciplined as they could be.

Reaction Score
Again, let’s not mischaracterize what I said by inferring something you think I meant. I never disparaged Cardoso. I simply pointed out that Cardoso’s performance was against a significantly undermanned opponent. You won’t see me praising any UConn players for their performance against Ft Hays St either, unless Piath Gabriel goes 4/5 from the arc.

As for the generational thing, whatever that means, who exactly have I quoted here? I simply referenced the SC home state newspaper’s quote that Cardoso is “ a force to be reckoned with.” Since I read it on the State’s news feed I am reasonably certain I quoted it accurately.

I respect Dawn and what she’s accomplished at SC and absolutely look forward to the matchup this season. Respectfully, some SC fans may be just a tad sensitive.

Well, as I stated above, we get it. This thread was started by a CT fan over on the CT forum, and it's NOT about any CT WBB-specific topic, so that means it's open season of a sort for certain portions of the member-base to come in and start slinging slights all around that favor their CT program. Again, we get it.

But then the thread got moved to THIS forum. You certainly disparaged Cardoso's performance, and based it on some false narrative. That doesn't change by you saying "I did not". No one stated that you "quoted" anyone, so not sure how to debate this. It was YOU that was the first to reference some newspaper article in this thread - if you have issues with that article, go write a letter to its editor. They often will even publish those letters in the next edition.

But by bringing it up, it sounds like you have an issue with the newspaper describing Cardoso as "a force to be reckoned with" REGARDLESS of who the opponent is. She was 2nd on Syracuse in both ppg and rpg, and led the team in bpg. Syracuse had a winning record in a P5 conference and reached the NCAAT.

So your position is that Cardoso will NOT be a "force" for opponents - even P5 opponents - to reckon with this season? We will see how that plays out for you soon enough.

But you keep implying that there was "praise" in this thread regarding Cordoso's performance. Here was what was stated by the OP, a CT fan:

Led by Cardoso with 18 points and 13 rebounds.

Again, creating a false atmosphere/environment, so you can then come in and criticize that environment, is a bit obvious..... :)

Reaction Score
The game wasn't televised, but the score has been reported. South Carolina 98 Benedict 41. Led by Cardoso with 18 points and 13 rebounds. Freshman Rivers added 11 points. Zia Cooke didn't play. Due to an ankle injury, she is day-to-day.
And I thought this was a post about Dave Benedict! Who knew???

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, as I stated above, we get it. This thread was started by a CT fan over on the CT forum, and it's NOT about any CT WBB-specific topic, so that means it's open season of a sort for certain portions of the member-base to come in and start slinging slights all around that favor their CT program. Again, we get it.

But then the thread got moved to THIS forum. You certainly disparaged Cardoso's performance, and based it on some false narrative. That doesn't change by you saying "I did not". No one stated that you "quoted" anyone, so not sure how to debate this. It was YOU that was the first to reference some newspaper article in this thread - if you have issues with that article, go write a letter to its editor. They often will even publish those letters in the next edition.

But by bringing it up, it sounds like you have an issue with the newspaper describing Cardoso as "a force to be reckoned with" REGARDLESS of who the opponent is. She was 2nd on Syracuse in both ppg and rpg, and led the team in bpg. Syracuse had a winning record in a P5 conference and reached the NCAAT.

So your position is that Cardoso will NOT be a "force" for opponents - even P5 opponents - to reckon with this season? We will see how that plays out for you soon enough.

But you keep implying that there was "praise" in this thread regarding Cordoso's performance. Here was what was stated by the OP, a CT fan:

Again, creating a false atmosphere/environment, so you can then come in and criticize that environment, is a bit obvious..... :)
I actually read your comments carefully to try to understand the point of your objection, but all I see is a lot of inference and conjecture. You continue to claim a “false narrative” or “false atmosphere” by piecing together your broad interpretation of my comments. I am respectfully asking you to cite one or more specific comments that I made that are inaccurate in any way?

Isn’t Benedict a DII team who’s tallest player is 6’2”? Didn’t The State praise Cardoso as, “a force to be reckoned with?” Perhaps you disagree with my opinion that you can’t tell much from an exhibition game, whether your team is SC or UConn?

Along those lines, ND recently completed their exhibition game against Emporia St, winning 104-56. 6’3” Stanford transfer Maya Dodson lead ND in scoring with 24 pts on 11/13 shooting. Dodson is a good player, but I’m going to go way out on a limb to suggest that she won’t have another game this season where she puts up those kind of numbers.

Reaction Score

Watched all of her games last year, and with all the bad shooters on Syracuse last year, it must have been frustrating. Syracuse was one of the worst 3 point shooting teams yet shot many.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The "General Women's Basketball" Forum is turning into the "South Carolina" forum. There were a number of existing threads this could have been posted, including the "Exhibition Games 2021", and "SEC 21-22".
Which I think was the point of several Gamecock fans earlier in the thread.

I’d also like to point out this thread wasn’t started by a Gamecock fan. It was apparently moved from the UConn board. We have NC State in a few days, perfectly content moving beyond this exhibition. Not sure why a thread was needed but I have my guesses as to why it was created.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I actually read your comments carefully to try to understand the point of your objection, but all I see is a lot of inference and conjecture. You continue to claim a “false narrative” or “false atmosphere” by piecing together your broad interpretation of my comments. I am respectfully asking you to cite one or more specific comments that I made that are inaccurate in any way?

Isn’t Benedict a DII team who’s tallest player is 6’2”? Didn’t The State praise Cardoso as, “a force to be reckoned with?” Perhaps you disagree with my opinion that you can’t tell much from an exhibition game, whether your team is SC or UConn?

Along those lines, ND recently completed their exhibition game against Emporia St, winning 104-56. 6’3” Stanford transfer Maya Dodson lead ND in scoring with 24 pts on 11/13 shooting. Dodson is a good player, but I’m going to go way out on a limb to suggest that she won’t have another game this season where she puts up those kind of numbers.

So Cardoso had a double double against a team who’s tallest player is 6’2”…………

Easy now. Just stating a fact.

I expect UConn to have some gaudy stats when the Huskies play their exhibition against Ft Hays St in a few days. Those stats will mean absolutely nothing in the general scheme of things.

That's just too thin.

So since we're "clarifying" around here. CT played in the AAC for 7-8 seasons. Didn't lose a single conference game. Beat the conference by an average of better than 40 points in MOV. Half of the games were by 50+ MOV. For the entire time.

Better than HALF of CT's season EVERY SINGLE SEASON was essentially a schedule of exhibition games.

But that never stopped CT fans from exclaiming exuberantly about the efforts and performances of Huskie players during those games, over the years. Quite a number of posts like those can be found in YOUR collection of 13,000 or so.

But the truth still stands that NO ONE was doing that for South Carolina here, against Benedict.

So lets please dispense with the subterfuge. It's not as clever as some would like to believe..... :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's just too thin.

So since we're "clarifying" around here. CT played in the AAC for 7-8 seasons. Didn't lose a single conference game. Beat the conference by an average of better than 40 points in MOV. Half of the games were by 50+ MOV. For the entire time.

Better than HALF of CT's season EVERY SINGLE SEASON was essentially a schedule of exhibition games.

But that never stopped CT fans from exclaiming exuberantly about the efforts and performances of Huskie players during those games, over the years. Quite a number of posts like those can be found in YOUR collection of 13,000 or so.

But the truth still stands that NO ONE was doing that for South Carolina here, against Benedict.

So lets please dispense with the subterfuge. It's not as clever as some would like to believe..... :)
So now we’re bashing the conference UConn played in? Not sure what that has to do with anything. Although it’s worth noting that UConn’s OOC schedule is always among the toughest in the nation, including the annual matchup with SC, which UConn has faired reasonably well in through the years.

And for the record, you didn’t answer my question.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: My memory must really be getting bad because just a few weeks ago I could have sworn there was this whole thread theorizing that lack of out of conference competition in the latter half of the season was going to leave UCONN WBB ill prepared for the tournament and that was such a "dilemma".

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
:eek: My memory must really be getting bad because just a few weeks ago I could have sworn there was this whole thread theorizing that lack of out of conference competition in the latter half of the season was going to leave UCONN WBB ill prepared for the tournament and that was such a "dilemma".
I don’t recall anyone using the term “Ill prepared” so that must be your characterization, and furthermore it has no relevance to a discussion over the importance of exhibition games.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don’t recall anyone using the term “Ill prepared” so that must be your characterization, and furthermore it has no relevance to a discussion over the importance of exhibition games.

On the other hand, it concerns me that after the annual battle against SC in early February, UConn has few if any tough in-conference challenges for the 5 or so weeks leading up to the Big Dance.

1635901961113.jpeg

Reaction Score

These are easy answers.

She's not "beating out" Boston.

She'll get plenty of minutes. A fair number against backup centers or tired starters.

Frankly, I do not really care much about Amihere's minutes, but they don't really play the same position.

I'd say Dawn can probably play two bigs at the same time like most everyone else.

I guess it's interesting that Syracuse went inside, in that game but you'd be pretty hard pressed to find another game when they did consistently and I don't think they did a particularly good job of it vs UConn.

Dawn got her 9 shots in 22 minutes and was disappointed she passed up more. Very different dynamic.

Her addition is an unabashed win for SC. She'll at a minimum replace a lot of unproductive minutes and provide real size from a reserve role. Or maybe she starts and SC has an extremely dominant front court with decent depth.

Doesn't really matter. It helps.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom