Benedict vs South Carolina Exhibition Game | The Boneyard

Benedict vs South Carolina Exhibition Game

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
The game wasn't televised, but the score has been reported. South Carolina 98 Benedict 41. Led by Cardoso with 18 points and 13 rebounds. Freshman Rivers added 11 points. Zia Cooke didn't play. Due to an ankle injury, she is day-to-day.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So Cardoso had a double double against a team who’s tallest player is 6’2”…………

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And what's your point? Should she not have? She played 22 mins, mostly with the 2nd team. Boston was fine. She played 18 mins. 12 pts., 7 R, 3 blocks.
I think that the point was merely that these exhibition games don’t tell fans very much. In any event South Carolina is going to be very tough this year.

Reaction Score
SC is going to be tough for years to come, not just this coming year. Dawn is a superb recruiter, as we know. Maybe not quite as good a coach as Geno or Tara, but SC is a real foe. I like that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And what's your point? Should she not have? She played 22 mins, mostly with the 2nd team. Boston was fine. She played 18 mins. 12 pts., 7 R, 3 blocks.
Easy now. Just stating a fact.

I expect UConn to have some gaudy stats when the Huskies play their exhibition against Ft Hays St in a few days. Those stats will mean absolutely nothing in the general scheme of things.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: Clearly that was a shot at Cardosa.
Counter Point: Azura Stevens put up similar numbers for UCONN in her second exhibition game against Ashland after becoming eligible for UCONN. 21 Minutes , 16 Points, 11 rebounds, 4 blocks playing mostly against Ashland's 2nd unit. I don't recall any complaints about Ashland's tallest 2nd unit player being only 5'7". But them again I don't remember everything- i think.

Reaction Score
No one says Cardoso should not have. Don't make speculation, BY rule.

Reaction Score

I expect UConn to have some gaudy stats when the Huskies play their exhibition against Ft Hays St in a few days. Those stats will mean absolutely nothing in the general scheme of things.
I expect the score to be gaudy but I would venture a guess that we will see a lot of the newer players and less of last year's starters so Geno can see the newbies in action. It would not surprise me if they use a little pain here or there to justify an Evina or Chrystin to not even play in the game at all or maybe do like 10 minutes tops.....

I then also expect this board to go crazy with so and so got 20 points so they will definitely start over Liv, Evina, or Chrystin....when the plan all along was to give say Caroline or Dorka extended minutes to see what they have under the lights...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, my post was not intended as a shot against Cardoso. She’s a fine young player with a big upside, literally and figuratively. I attempted to temper the enthusiasm for a performance against a DII team with little ability to match up with SC.

The State, a SC newspaper, in its post exhibition game analysis, raved about Cardoso’s performance and called her “a force to be reckoned with.” Maybe so. But I contend that it’s difficult if not impossible to learn much from SC’s exhibition, just as it will be difficult if not impossible to learn much from UConn’s exhibition.

Reaction Score
So Cardoso had a double double against a team who’s tallest player is 6’2”…………
So mentioning the opposing teams players height and following it with a an ellipsis isn't a shot? I mean you can't get any more clear than that.

It's an exhibition game it doesn't mean much, but for many people this is their first time seeing Cardoso play. The whole point is to create excitement and hype as the season starts. Not sure why local newspapers trying to spark more interest in women's basketball is looked at negatively.

Reaction Score
Is an exhibition game "thread-worthy."

maxresdefault.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So mentioning the opposing teams players height and following it with a an ellipsis isn't a shot? I mean you can't get any more clear than that.

It's an exhibition game it doesn't mean much, but for many people this is their first time seeing Cardoso play. The whole point is to create excitement and hype as the season starts. Not sure why local newspapers trying to spark more interest in women's basketball is looked at negatively.
As I indicated, the post was intended to question some drawing a little too much from an exhibition game performance against an inferior opponent. Nothing more. Nothing less.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, my post was not intended as a shot against Cardoso. She’s a fine young player with a big upside, literally and figuratively. I attempted to temper the enthusiasm for a performance against a DII team with little ability to match up with SC.

The State, a SC newspaper, in its post exhibition game analysis, raved about Cardoso’s performance and called her “a force to be reckoned with.” Maybe so. But I contend that it’s difficult if not impossible to learn much from SC’s exhibition, just as it will be difficult if not impossible to learn much from UConn’s exhibition.
I think Cardoso had issues at Syracuse that have never come to light. It's hard to play your best when you are not happy. The thing everyone is saying about Cardoso now is she is happy and smiling. That alone will make her a better player.

CL82

Reaction Score
I then also expect this board to go crazy with so and so got 20 points so they will definitely start over Liv, Evina, or Chrystin....when the plan all along was to give say Caroline or Dorka extended minutes to see what they have under the lights...
Yeah GIF

CL82

Reaction Score
I think Cardoso had issues at Syracuse that have never come to light
May be better said that Syracuse had issues which likely impacted Cardoso?

In any event, she looked raw last year. I would expect her to get the benefit of a freshman to sophomore season jump

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Cardoso had issues at Syracuse that have never come to light. It's hard to play your best when you are not happy. The thing everyone is saying about Cardoso now is she is happy and smiling. That alone will make her a better player.
Q essentially benched Cardoso for most of the 2nd half vs UConn. She had started out scoring 8 of the Cuse’s first 10 pts, but then cooled off as Liv played her tough. At the time, if felt like Q was trying to send a message to Cardoso. Evidently, the message Cardoso heard was, “Find another place to play.”

CL82

Reaction Score
Q essentially benched Cardoso for most of the 2nd half vs UConn. She had started out scoring 8 of the Cuse’s first 10 pts, but then cooled off as Liv played her tough. At the time, if felt like Q was trying to send a message to Cardoso. Evidently, the message Cardoso heard was, “Find another place to play.”
I just felt like she ran out of gas. I expect her to be dramatically better conditioned this year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Fort Hays' tallest player is a 6'3" freshman Olivia Hollenbeck. Their second tallest is 6'1". Let's hope Liv has a double double.

Reaction Score
Cardoso had 10 and 5 in the first half of an NCAA game last season against a Final Four participant so I'd say that "force to be reckoned with" is a reasonable description.

She's going to get fed the ball a lot more than she did last year. That's for certain.

Reaction Score
Is an exhibition game "thread-worthy."

maxresdefault.jpg

Multiple exhibitions games for multiple teams seems to be "thread worthy", as it was worthy enough for someone to create a thread about it. A question like this is better asked PRIOR to the action being taken - once the action is taken, it is pointless to ask if the result was worthy of the action being taken, since the fact of the action taken answers the question before it is even asked.

But it can also be taken into note, that it was NOT a South Carolina Gamecock fan, but the "No. 1 UCONN Fan" who created this thread. And therefore it then existed for fellow CT fans to utilize - like a tool - to come rushing in to disparage the topic of said thread. It was a boring, simple script that hid no meaningful, positive surprises for it's intended audience. It was a well-travel path that now sits several feet below the common ground, due to it's excessive use over the years....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom